It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For 50 years he gave his public salary to charity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Link

[Presidential Years, Paragraph 2]

He banked his presidential salary and gave it entirely to charity. From the day Hoover organized the Belgian Relief in 1914, until his death fifty years later, he never accepted for his private use any payment for public service. He had reached the highest office in which Herbert Hoover felt he could make the greatest contribution to his own country.

Say what you want about his policies as President of the United States but this was a good hearted man. He became independently wealthy prior to entering public office and used the money he had earned privately instead of pocketing what he had earned through public service. Handing over all of his money from the government to private charities to assist the needy, I think that is amazing.

I know only two current members of our elected federal government have sworn to not accept their pension and that is Ron Paul and a Congressman from North Carolina, forgot his name.

Just thought I would bring something cheery to youse.

edit on 5/3/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

hoover was a cross dresser,true story

j edgar hoover though lol not herb
edit on 3-5-2011 by CUJOCREEP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CUJOCREEP

I don't think that's an issue now a days. In fact, in the future, Hoover will become the patron saint of those who never made it "out".

It always happens. . .Alexander the Great.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

well in those days it was,especially for a president,im sure it wouldnt fly for a president these days either but hey,to each their own

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
BUMP

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
J. Edgar Hover (the crossdressing head of the F.B.I.) was not president nor who this post is about.
Herbert Hoover was president and is the Hoover the post is about.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I like knowing this. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling even if I do not agree with him in other ways. To serve (the people) is it's own reward and it is a mark of integrity to accept none other.

Star and flag for you sir.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Perot said he would do the same and everybody laughed at him.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Thanks Misoir for posting this, I have never heard of a self-less politician and always thought they were yet to be invented, until I read your OP

This is the kind of act of a person whom I would want to vote for - a person who WANTS to do a job to serve and benefit others and not himself.

All I see today's politician's do when they get elected, is give themselves a whopping and as yet unearned pay rise without asking us, then continuously present us with countless 'telephone number' expenses claims.

I wonder how many politicians today would still want to do the job if there were no hefty pay-packet involved.

To me, politics today seems to be the only industry where deliberate lies, deceit, dishonesty, greed and corruption are handsomely rewarded. If you or I were found to be making a living this way, we would be in jail - but we have these people running our countries. They are professional confidence tricksters.

No wonder we're down the toilet.
edit on 4-5-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Perot said he would do the same and everybody laughed at him.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Ah, Ross Perot. Now there was a man who had balls as big as his ears.
Big brass ones.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

He refused to be known as a "politician" he was even quoted stating this:

"Being a politician is a poor profession. Being a public servant is a noble one."

Also here is a good video clip of a speech he gave when running against Franklin Roosevelt in 1932.

He obviously lost by a landslide for 3 reasons.

1. He did not know how to play politics nor did he want to but Roosevelt was a champion at playing politics and hitting someone where it hurts.
2. Hoover did not know how to relate with the common man so he could not successfully translate their aspirations in a moving way.
3. His entire philosophy relied on voluntary actions. Roosevelt wanted to use the overwhelming force of government to make businesses do what he said. That was the anti-thesis of Hoover who sat business leaders down and pleaded with them to help alleviate the problems of the depression.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My mother was a huge Ross Perot fan in '92 and '96. She told me it was the first time she actually wanted to vote. She never voted since except in 2010.

I never really listened to any of Ross Perot's speeches but I presume he had some good policies.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
He obviously lost by a landslide for 3 reasons.

1. He did not know how to play politics nor did he want to but Roosevelt was a champion at playing politics and hitting someone where it hurts.
2. Hoover did not know how to relate with the common man so he could not successfully translate their aspirations in a moving way.
3. His entire philosophy relied on voluntary actions. Roosevelt wanted to use the overwhelming force of government to make businesses do what he said. That was the anti-thesis of Hoover who sat business leaders down and pleaded with them to help alleviate the problems of the depression.

I don't think that either of them understood the overwhelming force of the military-industrial complex that had originated in central Europe which many of their native companies had already bought into in the form of trade cartels, the US had already been drawn into the global arena through the back door and despite living in freedom, there were always those willing to invest in dictators if it meant a healthy return. I was reading about Wendell Wilkie, an outsider, who with very powerful backing became a serious contender against Roosevelt in the 1940/41 presidential election. Eleanor Roosevelt described him as the 'Nazi's favourite'. His backers favoured staying out of the war and forming stronger trade alliances with Germany. It was pretty close at one point evidently, could have gone either way, had not history itself intervened. I think, the people of Europe benefitted, in the long run, at the expense of the freedom of the US people.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

For many politicians their actual salary is nothing compared to the extra benefits and deals they do while in office..

Not sure if Hoover made money on the side but just thought I'd point that out..

Just look to Dick Cheney for proof of that..

top topics

join