It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there a weekly disease?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The Story
Usually my local paper (The In-forum) is comfortingly bland, but I've noticed that like CNN, MSNBC. FOX, and even The Weather Channel, there's a disease of the week. I've read several blurbs from the Media Research Center and from other sources that these are merely blinders against the murder count in Iraq.

A whooping cough epidemic is coming -- the dragon is at our door," the MeritCare pediatrician said Thursday, citing where it's already surfaced in North Dakota. "It's been in Minot, it's been in Bismarck, it's been in Grand Forks, and it's coming."

Whooping cough is a highly contagious bacterial disease that can be severe and dangerous when caught by young children. This summer, North Dakota has seen an outbreak of the disease, also known as pertussis.

That's why Fargo Cass Public Health is working with local clinics to track whooping cough cases and give antibiotics to anyone who has been in close contact with victims, said Ruth Bachmeier, public health services manager.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tainted Gerber food, Anthrax, West Nile, and now...whooping cough. It seems as though we are not merely fighting a war against terrorism, we are fighting a war against viruses and bacteria. Is it just me, or has there been more focus into illnesses lately? I know that the Western Culture is very health conscious. My father pointed out to me once that the pharmaceutical aisles at the grocery store are just about twice as long as the cereal aisle. But this was pre-911. I was a sickly child, and that never made headlines. . .

I know that this is a small town, but I moved here from Washington, DC. Reading the Post was forbidden in my home, but I'd peek at it from time to time, and it was the same way, only with a full-page spread! Sadly, though, the body count overseas gets a small, one-paragraph article.

Lately I've been analyzing USSR propaganda from the 60's, and have been researching various North Korean images, videos, and websites. I hate to stand on a soapbox, but the news and our culture are starting to resemble theirs. I can go on for days about this subject, so I'll save more for later. Thanks for reading.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by dotgov101]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
There's been more of a focus on illnesses of late because there are more illnesses threatening humans. And they are illnsesses that can easily be fatal, encephalitis caused by WNV, potential mutation of H5N1 avian flu, Super Bugs, such as those in Montral and New York.

In most cases, they are not things that should be taken lightly, but at the same time, there's really no need to overdo it with instilling fear in people. The threat of a new Influenza pandemic has always been there, but with this strain it's especially dangerous because of the high mortality rate and the potential for mutation. WNV has been around for a few years, but each year the carrier mosquito spreads into new territory, threatening more people. Of course there is going to be more coverage as threats from these agents rise.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
According to the CDC, pneumonia and influenza is the 7th leading cause of death. The number one cause? Heart disease. Why do we not see articles and on-the-hour stories about heart disease? Why are we programmed to be educated more about WNV, influenza strains, ebola, and HIV?

Because they are acquired, and because they can be MANUFACTURED. They are something you can be afraid of. They are something that CNN can convince you to go to your local All-Mart and buy plastic and duct tape (which, incidentally, I did...) in case a strange someone decides to play God.

On a personal note, the past four days I have been fighting a severe allergic reaction. I have a bad heart, so there have been two 911 calls due to tachychardia. I will be dam-ed if my death is from the CDC's #1 cause.

But hey, I'd go out with a smile. And my keyboard.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by dotgov101]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Every disease and every virus around this world mutates on a probable daily bases, but for some of those mutations, they are fatal to those who contract the virus/infection/disease etc.

its well known as a prime example that this years Flu, they dont have a IM treatment for because it mutated so quickly and violently this year...so they worked off last years and tweeked it slightly.

i think its a good thing to ask this question as you start to question diffrent scenarios and dont take for granted your health.

top topics

join