It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhism is the right, true and correct religion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bobbobulau

Originally posted by bobbobulau
Then do you have a notion of right and wrong?

It's a lot more complicated then a simple notion, but yes I do.

If so how did they develop? Please any outside influences.

Empathy. I can understand the suffering of others. I suffer myself. I strive to not cause the pain I have experienced upon others and to prevent it when I can.

Obviously you are purposely being short sited. Don't understand why?

If are able to understand H2O the you have the capabilities to develop compounds that are extremely dangerous to life. What is the point of understanding H2O if it doesn't benefit your life and the life of others?

But understanding chemical compounds allows us to develop...well...every single useful medicine ever. Aspirin took a compound found in tree bark and made it more effective and less damaging to the stomach. How? We knew about the molecular structure of things.

Yes, all those life saving medicines, atheists donating billions to charity, all of the farming techniques

Are all the above scenarios wise or unwise in your opinion?

Wise.

Am I correct in the opinion that you believe there isn't any negative aspects of Science?

Science in and of itself is neutral. It is a method for understanding the universe. It's a tool. Any tool can be used for harm or benefit. I can take a hammer and build a house...or I could drive a nail through someone's neck.

That's not really an argument...what about our environment is a result of science? What about government? What about society?

Again purposely being short sighted. The world has serious issues with man made pollution. If you are unwilling to acknowledge this you don't have any credibility in my opinion.

You're selectively editing my post. To repeat myself:

If anything, the harm to the environment is happening because we ignored the scientific realities of how industrial development would harm it. And government? Hardly the most scientifically ordered out institution.

I already said that in the post you're replying to. It is a bit dishonest to say that I'm ignoring pollution. It was a scientific reality that we ignored for all too long.

When we have trouble from Government and Society is because these organizations don't follow notions of good and wrong for the general society?

Well...there is no single notion of what is good or wrong for a society. Which society? Which time? Which sort of government is best?

If you are seeking the truth then there is no reason to rule out the possibility of a who. That bias would more than like create a flawed result.

It shouldn't be ruled out, but there's no bother to acknowledge it unless someone provides a shred of evidence to actually support bringing up the question.

You're asserting something without evidence, I'm going to continue to dismiss it with the same.

Before I go further.
Do you believe in the Big Ban or evolution?

Believe? Not really. I do accept that they're both grounded in massive mountains of evidence.

If so where you involved with the research or just accepted the theory?

I actually bothered to learn enough about science to understand scientific literature. I keep up with scientific trends. I bother to go to original sources. I actually know a thing or two about science.

With the Hypothesis of having a Creator, you have to acknowledge that this entity exists out side of our own time an space in an alternate universe.

I'm sorry, but where's the logical train of thought there? How did you derive this conclusion?

After all he was there before it’s creation. Our technology doesn’t have the capabilities detect him directly.

Yet we would have thousands of 'fingerprints' of this being which somehow has a gender if it did something as massive as create the universe.

Instead we could detect him through his interaction. His interaction was though a state knows as spirit, a similar in concept as the String Theory.

...no. String theory has nothing to do with 'spirit.'

Since again we don't have the tech to directly analyze this state . I base my evidence to various witness accounts documented thought the centuries.

So you're basing your claims on unreliable and contradicting testimony of ignorant people whose testimony cannot be checked objectively. Lovely.

I find it odd that you can use this as your basis for evidence and not clearly accept the truth that Odin fashion man and woman from trees.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Buddhism is a moral philosophy, as it instructs disciples to avoid murder, theft, lies, cheating, intoxication, and noncommittal sex.

Buddhism is factually accurate as it describes physical objects as impermanent.

Buddhism is scientific in its statement that all things arise from dependent origination (such as an offspring arising dependently from its parent, as opposed to asexual, independent reproduction).

Buddhism is logical in its philosophical premise (suffering is caused by desire, and this desire is either in wanting something you do not have, which brings suffering due to the absence of the desired object, or if the object is possessed, there is always a fear of losing the object of desire, so a two-edged sword of desire causes suffering whether the object of desire is obtained or not).

Buddhism is wise in its metaphysical premise ( rather than describing the origin of things, it describes the cause and subjugation of suffering).

Buddhism is a world recognized religion based on the historical person of Gotama and the subsequent messengers of Buddhism throughout the 2500 years of it being a religion.

Buddhism is peaceful and non-violent, but firm in truth and morality. Buddhism is on the receiving end of tyranny as opposed to the creator of it. Buddhism permeates all cultures with little to no controversy within foreign nations. Buddhism appeals to intellectuals, artists, politicians, and lay persons. Buddhism offers a contrary to the damnation of Christianity, an intellectual debate concerning the essence of reality, and a hopeful message to mankind.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by KJV1611
reply to post by Ultraman2011

Buddhism is a "some what" good way to LIVE your life, but it is not enough when you die. Like many other religions, Buddhism is works based salvation.

Works cannot save your soul, only God can do that. The blood of Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven since he already died for you. Now you don't have to die if you accept his death in the place of yours, FOR YOUR SINS.

Buddhism does not preach salvation by works, but by knowledge. When you know the body to be impermanent and devoid of true Selfhood, the illusion of forms will be shattered.

The idea that Jesus died for your sins betrays the law of Karma. No one can save yourself but yourself.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Not so much "knowledge", but realization.
Enlightenment. Which leads to Nirvana.
But works is important too. Even in the Bible it says Faith without works, or deeds, is dead. Not sure of the actual words used. And of course in the Dhammapada there is "right action".
Meaning, if you are sincere, you won't rob, and kill, and do bad things, at least intentionally.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ultraman2011
I am open for discussion, and have read quite a few post on here, but can someone explain to me why they think Christianity, for instance, is the be all and end all, of religious beliefs? I am a Buddhist; and when I think about it for the most part, we have caused very little trouble in the world and are very open to other belief systems.

Islamist and Christian's I have talked to, often seem very narrow minded and judgmental of other belief systems. I actually had someone tell me last week I was into worshiping idols!

I am open to that fact that Jesus was a good man, that preached tolerance and loving kindness, but find that those that follow him are very narrow minded in many cases. It seems very pompous to me to think that you and you alone have the key to the answers to life, death and eternity. At the end of the day, you really do not know, 100% where the truth lies.

What is evil, wrong, or mean about Buddhism? I am starting to think that those that criticize have not taken the time to do their research.

Comments would be appreciated.

The most important part about Jesus is that he died for our sins so we can repentance in him. He is the way to God.

Isn't buddhism rather more like a philosophy than a religion?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Do you believe in an external lifeforce?

Do you believe in spirits, mims?

It is the spirit we use that makes us like God.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tom502

Do you know the answer to this roy?

What if you have tendencies to rob, kill and murder and you do not do them, but they keep on coming up in yourself? Then one needs salvation to feel joyous again. No matter where it comes from. It is in the power of God.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

You're arguement was how christians and islamists are narrow minded etc, its funny thats how your opening statement came off, its narrow minded in itself to condemn other religions for being narrow minded.

But i definatley agree that Buddishm is the most accepting of religions and has definatley caused the least amount of trouble over the centuries.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join