It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

28 000 barrels of oil spilled in Alberta after pipeline breach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
And we know only about this now... it happened friday last week.

Regulator discloses massive leak in Alberta oil pipeline

Emergency crews are cleaning up a massive oil spill from a leaky pipeline northeast of Peace River in northern Alberta.

Energy regulators say 28,000 barrels of oil has oozed into the soil and collected into pools along hundreds of metres of the pipeline's right-of-way.

The leak happened Friday and the pipeline was shut down, but officials say they didn't know the extent of the mess until now.

That's a lot of oil... Hope they clean it up fast...
edit on 3-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Is there any country they are not going to ruin with this mess?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Ouch 28 000 barrels is a considerable ammount of oil lost in the soil. Hoping not so many damage is done or any threat to nearby residents.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think it has to be over a certain amount before anybody gives a snot.

Sad how thing work now.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

No one was injured in the incident. At least four beavers and 10 waterfowl were euthanized after they were found covered in oil over the weekend, according to Trevor Gemmell from Alberta Environment.

"There was a small pond that was affected," said Gemmell

At least four beavers and ten waterfowl. I wonder how much other environmental damage was done that they're not talking about. It said it was in the peace river area and that it was 300 m away from running water. I wonder what that running water was.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Thanks for posting. One would think you'd at least hear of this being on the West Coast. I sure haven't and I check daily local news.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I just found out about this.

Here's another shocker from the article;

Alberta New Democrat environment critic Rachel Notley wondered why the problem took so long to come to light. She pointed out that while the leak was discovered and the school closed on Friday, it wasn't until Tuesday that the extent of the leak was disclosed.
At first it was estimated that a few hundred barrels had leaked. Notley suggested that was underplayed to avoid raising an environmental issue for the federal Conservatives before Monday's federal election.

"Either they're grossly incompetent or there's political interference."

The article states also that in Alberta, in 2009, there has been more than 222 leaks! When was that announced?

In 2009, Alberta hit a low for pipeline failures of 1.7 leaks for every 1,000 kilometres of pipe. Alberta has more than 377,000 kilometres of pipeline.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I just read about this on one of our national papers , what shocekd me was that this is going on since last friday and nobody picked this up (even here on ATS
) .. Also from what I read in our article there seems to be a major problem with the Indian population located in Little Buffalo about 30km from the spill. They are experiencing severe health problems .
edit on 5/5/11 by Thill because: (no reason given)

top topics

join