It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The seats sinking in a downtown Syracuse park.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Could it be underground tunnels? 'Tremors' worms, lol?
Source

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EternalThought
Could it be underground tunnels? 'Tremors' worms, lol?
Source

With the mass amounts of rain saturating the ground I wouldn't be surprised if it's just natural

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EternalThought

I'm originally from there, and I know the seats to which they refer. Honestly, the mystery is why more of Syracuse isn't sinking, falling over, or blatantly on fire. I like a good mystery, but in this case, I think drainage and general pavement deterioration is probably the answer. If not, it may be the result of weather changing rapidly -- the material expands and shrinks, and loses its anchoring. Funny, though, I used to have lunch right there all the time.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Poor attempt at humor it looks like to me ....... I guess this is an idea one would come up with in the middle of the ocean, "Location: 26°N 70°W", aka "The Bermuda Triangle", lol now that's funny!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Weird but probably just a sinkhole. Anyone notice the Syracuse mayor's name is Miner and this is an underground problem.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Could be the start of a sinkhole?

Sinkholes are common where the rock below the land surface is limestone, carbonate rock, salt beds, or rocks that can naturally be dissolved by ground water circulating through them. As the rock dissolves, spaces and caverns develop underground.Sinkholes are dramatic because the land usually stays intact for a while until the underground spaces just get too big. If there is not enough support for the land above the spaces then a sudden collapse of the land surface can occur. These collapses can be small, as this picture shows, or they can be huge and can occur where a house or road is on top.

ga.water.usgs.gov...

I'm still looking at other possible explanations but this is the first one I found. The article didn't give much detail so it might be hard to determine what is could actually be.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

Syracuse is practically built on salt beds, they're all over the place there. So I would say that's probably the answer, yeah.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Yeah I was just thinking along those lines. I can't really find any information about ground sinking other than sinkholes. Everything else that comes up is just articles on places that may be sinking.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Relax. That happens normally when permafrost thaws.

Long winter, still waiting for spring.

new topics

top topics

join