It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where to Live to Avoid a Natural Disaster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
My first thread, be gentle!

Source: The New York Times

Weather disasters and quakes: who’s most at risk? The analysis below, by Sperling’s Best Places, a publisher of city rankings, is an attempt to assess a combination of those risks in 379 American metro areas. Risks for twisters and hurricanes (including storms from hurricane remnants) are based on historical data showing where storms occurred. Earthquake risks are based on United States Geological Survey assessments and take into account the relative infrequency of quakes, compared with weather events and floods. Additional hazards included in this analysis: flooding, drought, hail and other extreme weather.

What I think is interesting is how safe they make it seem to be on the west coast. For all the doom and gloom on ATS about earthquakes on the west coast, this seems to suggest the complete opposite. I've lived in the midwest my whole life, and the first tornado I saw was in Wyoming when I was traveling to Yellowstone! Don't get me wrong, there have been tornadoes around, and I have chased them in the past. But tornadoes usually affect smaller areas, as the vast majority of tornadoes are EF2 or lower. This means that they have a smaller funnel, lower wind speed and shorter lifespan which also means, in general, they affect a smaller area.. But earthquakes affect a large area. Considering that during my relatively short lifetime California has had several large earthquakes, and given that every other corner of the ring of fire has been very active lately, how can the New York Times really say that the west coast is so safe? Another funny thing is that New Orleans isn't in red, lol. Although I would guess that statistically the chances of another big hurricane hitting there are low, but in my eyes living below sea level would constitute a greater potential for disaster than living somewhere that might get a tornado.

Is there a conspiracy here to fool people into thinking the west coast is safe? Misinformation? Bad data? Or is it actually safer there after all?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Want to find a safe place to avoid a natural diaster .. try a grave.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
if you move to the uk then you will be perfectly safe from mother nature.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by midwest

It's impossible to evade natural disasters.
Best bet is to build a underground bunker.

link   
It doesn't matter where you live, because anywhere on Earth you can still get hit out of a clear black or blue sky by a pretty good-sized meteorite and that would be the end of you.

kah-BOOSH!!

link   
North Dakota appears to be the safest state in the US

There are no safe places anymore. It's either a hurricane, an earthquake, a tornado, nuclear emissions, volcanoes, tsunamis and the list goes on. Any places that could be considered safe are either boring or lonely.
edit on 3/5/2011 by Longdead33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by midwest

maybe middle earth is safe enough for ya

fear of death is the greatest weakness

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by midwest

Hey midwest, nice first thread.

I'll say first, just with the direction my personal faith & beliefs lean, I don't think there's going to be any place that actually comes through what we'll be seeing without significant impact from whatever different things the universe can throw at that specific spot.

Regardless, though, shtfplan.com has a good article here with their opinions that I'm inclined to agree with. Mainly deals with the coming economic collapse, but also addresses regional natural issues.

I think where I'm at here in Oklahoma is likely going to be about as good as it gets in the US, barring an eruption at Yellowstone or the like as well as if we can dodge the tornadoes. So far we're fairly insulated from the economic issues themselves, and aside from crazy storms not much else really tends to happen here.

I definitely agree with SHTF's assessment and recommend against either coast. With likely seismic activity and possible tsunamis, just sounds like a bad idea in the first place, and big cities with much economic tie in are bad bad bad if TSHTF.

Be safe out there!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Live on a boat. Constantly avoid bad weather/rough seas and you've got it made. I know it's probably not the best suggestion but still, could be done. I've read Idaho is popular with survivalist types but I'm not sure why.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hell, it's so flat here in Saskatchewan, you can watch yer dog run away for 3 days!! If anything ever hits us...at least we'll see it comin'

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

HAHA!!!! You are too friggin funny! I agree
LMAO!!!!!! Absolutely funny! Thanks

xo Suz

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by midwest

the safest place for me is under my bed sheets, thats where i hide when i get scared

and i cover my ears to avoid scary sounds
edit on 3-5-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by midwest

Don't come to New Zealand.

Yesterday we had: massive snowstorms, hail, torrential rains causing landslips and flooding, extreme winds, tornado (hitting our most populous city) and a 5.0 earthquake.

Thank goodness the volcano's are quiet just now.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
And I was goin to say Alberta or central Africa =|

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
When it hits you it hits you. I know my comment isn't informative but that's life.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
whatever you do, do not come to new mexico.
it's polluted, the water sucks, the weather is horrible, your car will be stolen, it's either too hot or too cold depending on time of year, it's expensive, there are not enough walmarts, public transportation is non-existent,
there's not enough trees, there is far to much sand, we have too many califonians and texans and illegal mexicans.
horrible place, truly it is.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The 80's........

2nd

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Belgium

secondline

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Right next door to the Denver Airport.

On a serious note. There's no such thing as a safe place. You live near the ocean, you're living on a fault line, or within range of a tsunami, or rising sea levels. If you live in-land you're in range of tornados and volcanos. Living in a bunker doesn't protect you from earthquakes, and living on the ocean doesn't protect you from hurricanes. You could move to the ice caps, but since they're shrinking like a scrotum in...... well..... the arctic, you'd not be very safe there either. No matter where you choose, you're still game for meteors or comets. Its a crap shoot. All you can do is pick a pretty place with good schools, and hope for the best. Depending on where you pick you can choose methods to protect yourself a bit, but in short, if Mother Earth wants you dead, you're dead.

Look on the bright side; you're more likely to be killed my humans than natural disasters

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
whatever you do, do not come to new mexico.
Not enough walmarts

I dunno. Sounds like Heaven to me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join