It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meaning of life is life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I would like to first state that I have been a lurker for a while on this site, reading all of the fascinating and brilliant ideas we ATSers have to offer. With that being said, this is my first thread so don't be too harsh (Mods if this is the wrong forum please feel free to move it, I just wasnt sure where I should put this thread.)

Anyway, I was reading through various sources, as I do everyday, on my way to, from, and during work trying to understand the vast and complex universe we live in, when I came across this article:

news.discovery.com...=rssnws1

Now I thought this article was very interesting. For those who can't read it, it has to do with the possible characteristics of advanced alien civilization. Including: technological possibilities, Alien interests, and likely location and prevalence of such a civilization. It also talks about methods of categorizing species by the criteria of what capability of harnessing energy they have achieved. This system is based on, for example, whether the species has achieved affective utilization of their own planet (lvl 1), their own star (lvl 2), or their home galaxy (lvl 3). Despite the theoretical discussion being somewhat brief on the various topics, I found the postulated existence of alien civilzations billions of years more advanced than our own within our galaxy to be intriguing.

Something that was mentioned in the article really sparked my creative thinking. "Suppose extraterrestrials manufacture a black hole to accrete material from a burned-out star, a white dwarf. This would provide abundant energy beyond the star's fusion-burning stage." The other day I was reading about exponentially increasing time-dilation effects of approaching a black hole's event horizon. The article touches on this briefly, but I was thinking about this information in context with a thread I read here on ATS regarding the underground complex under the Giza pyramids. Basically that thread was talking about how the pyramids are possibly alligned with Cygnus instead of Orion, which is significant because of the x-ray radiation given off by the accretion disk of stellar matter being drawn into the black hole of Cygnus X-1, which could be the cause for evolution on this planet. Thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

When thinking about this, the article seemed to make exceptional sense. In essence, I came to the conclusion that, by seeking to prolong their own existence, a species may create a relationship with their host star and a black hole. In doing so, they have harnessed the energy of this relationship and utilized the time-dilation effect of the event horizon proximity to "jump" through universal time. Inadvertantly, a species so advanced could be the direct cause for our existance. That thought, the concept of unintentional intelligent design (of sorts), made me wonder about the universal consciousness and whether or not there was one all encompassing universe or a series of infinitely parallel created universes created by creations. If "super civilizations" can create new universes, as it is suggested in the article. Then is it a life breeds life type situation on a macrocosmic scale?

This got me thinking in the strictest of dualist senses. As beings that exist within a physical universe, is our purpose to spread life? Are we the unwitting pawns of some titanic struggle of the forces of existance vs. non-existance? I thought such ideas were especially relevent given the words of major religous works that tell us as "God's children" to be fruitful and multiply...

Essentially all of this rambling is just my way of introducing some subject matter for discussion. I would like to know what some of our brilliant members think about all this. I am open to questions or criticism, whatever. Thank you for reading this far if you did...

edit on 3-5-2011 by Drakmarine because: a few typos

edit on 3-5-2011 by Drakmarine because: Giving credit and link to Egyptian thread

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Drakmarine

Pretty much, the point of life is to live. It is like George Carlin said in his skit about "pulling the plug".

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The physical universe is a manifestation of the more expansive, less linear, and less physical omniverse, where life spontaneously develops itself.
edit on 7-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Well I was trying to introduce for discussion a possibility of life having created the multiverse/omniverse. Is it our responsibility as living beings to attempt to propogate life by creating a universe within the manifold of manifolds lending to the possibility of life existing or developing within our created universe?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Drakmarine

Of course, there is nothing to do except for creating more variety and complexity in this world and in this entire existence, otherwise all there is, is an expansive void of nothingness.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
If you watch how different (species?) or life forms who exist on are own planet just live naturally going on instincts move and interact maybe take a step back (aliens?). I dont know your thread was titled with a question mark, so maybe guessing uncertainty. Trying to use black holes to jump to another sun, ( I think). Maybe there are some things unknowable. Space travel and the universe?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Deep questions. What the hell is life anyway?

As beings that exist within a physical universe, is our purpose to spread life? Are we the unwitting pawns of some titanic struggle of the forces of existance vs. non-existance?

I don't think you can spread life without food. Life and food (energy gradient) go hand and hand. Life will grow more life until the food is gone. Was the purpose the life itself, or was the life an agent of nature tasked with degrading the food and putting it into a more probable state of existence?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
some one say meaing of life is study.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Indeed, but is that void of nothingness some sort of primieval force. I'm interested in your opinions of existance, I guess. Since we as physical beings are tasked with propagating life is it simply because we as existing entities wish to create more of existance or is there some sort of greater purpose being served? I guess some sort of incomprehensible, in both scale and magnitude, conflict of 2 opposite forces. sort of the battle of good vs. evil, existance vs. nonexistance, matter vs. dark matter. Could such dichotomy come from truely random origins or is this universal struggle the machination of some other entity? how far does it go?

top topics

join