It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux Rules!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

Thanks for the links.

Ardour with Hydrogen might work for what I do.

I may have to explore that!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I've been using ubuntu for 2-3 years now
Mind you I'm keen to find another version to try - keen to know any recommendations

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Like I said above, Cunchbang is a very nice distro and lightweight. Mint is quite nice to and keeps things more up to date than Crunchbang and can be considered more user friendly. Backtrack is also a great for security auditing/pentesting.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Negothap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Negothap
Like I said above, Cunchbang is a very nice distro and lightweight. Mint is quite nice to and keeps things more up to date than Crunchbang and can be considered more user friendly. Backtrack is also a great for security auditing/pentesting.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Negothap because: (no reason given)

Thanks I think I'll take a look at Mint I have a laptop with ubuntu on

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Installed - Very nice already found some stuff that's better than Ubuntu. I am using it now so I will post again when I have found my way around.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
Installed - Very nice already found some stuff that's better than Ubuntu. I am using it now so I will post again when I have found my way around.

Nice man, you should toss of a screen shot of your desktop once you've done you customizing/configuring

Which did you install?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Negothap

Originally posted by majestictwo

Nice man, you should toss of a screen shot of your desktop once you've done you customizing/configuring

Which did you install?

I have installed Mint 10 first on the spare desktop that was running Ubuntu. I was so please that I installed it on my Laptop also. I also have a desktop that runs windows 7 its heaps faster than the the Linux machines yet Linux still beats it hands down.

Its worth noting to anyone here that have a machine that's likely to be dumped - DON"T Linux will bring new life to it and that's a fact.

Haven't done much configuring at this stage but I will - any tips appreciated
Thanks for the MINT tip
MJ2

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It's interesting to read about folks trying out Linux for the first time. I'm glad the OP seems to be finding his/her feet ... Linux is quite a learning curve but it's ever so rewarding to give it a spin.

I switched from Vista to Ubuntu 4 yrs ago (was an early adopter of Vista & had such a terrible time with it I thought I'd try anything else). So for me Linux/Ubuntu was just an experiment on the way to a Vista reinstall. But I liked Ubuntu so much I've stuck with it through thick & thin.

The thing I love about it the most is that you switch the PC on ... and Ubuntu just works. No virus checking, no definitions to download, no whirring harddrive, nothing to bog you down at startup. Just switch on & surf. That suits me fine. That plus the regulars over at the Ubuntu community forum are such a helpful, friendly group of people ... always ready to help you out if you hit a snag.

And the financial side of it too, obviously ... Linux doesn't cost a ha'penny

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Linux i love it. Been using exclusively for about a year.
Presently using Kbuntu, usually though i use the ubuntu.
The Kde desktop takes a bit of getting used to from Gnome. like half
a day ..Lols

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join