It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Osama Bin Laden Killing Gives Obama Quick But Limited Ratings Boost

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well many of us expected as much.

Its interesting though to imagine that ole Bin Laden - newly dead - still dead - officially dead-
or - rumored dead but still alive -
could have such an affect, albeit a small one.

This says to me: September 11, 2001 was a horrific event, permamently etched into the hearts and minds of Americans, and others worldwide. The world was forever changed on that terrible fateful day, and not for the better, for worse.

I wish with all of my heart I could believe that we are all safer today - safer we are not.

In the immediate aftermath of the targeted killing of Osama bin Laden, President Obama’s approval rating has jumped higher, with big increases in the number of Americans giving him high marks on dealing with terrorism and the situation in Afghanistan.

But the new poll, conducted Monday evening by The Washington Post and the Pew Research Center, also finds virtually no movement in Obama’s numbers when it comes to handling the economy. That suggests that success on one front — even one as important as the death of the mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks — might not translate easily to other areas.

www.washingtonpost.com... nal

edit on 3-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Here's another poll

U.S. views of Obama improve with bin Laden killing: Reuters/IPSO

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110503/us_nm/us_binladen_poll_1

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The killing of Osama bin Laden has given President Barack Obama a popularity boost, with 39 percent of Americans telling a Reuters/Ipsos online poll that their views of the president's leadership skills have improved.

Forty-two percent of respondents also said they now had a higher opinion of Obama's handling of the war on terrorism. The poll findings, released on Tuesday, show a lift in Obama's standing, hurt recently by high gasoline prices.

(...)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
even if this was a real death and not fake, which it is, what makes people in this country think that Obama had ANYTHING AT ALL to do with this? The amount of exceptionally stupid people in this country never ceases to amaze me.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Here's another poll

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110503/us_nm/us_binladen_poll_1

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The killing of Osama bin Laden has given President Barack Obama a popularity boost, with 39 percent of Americans telling a Reuters/Ipsos online poll that their views of the president's leadership skills have improved.

Thats very interesting...39% based on the numbers polled think Obamas leadership skills have improved.

Well Obama knew going in it was going to be as difficult as any president has ever had it,
though I must say I dont think he has done what he could to have made it any better.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I wonder how its going to look for Obama
the new photo appears to be faked

by the looks of things they want us at war
and they are going to keep it up till they get one

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by djtek

This news - real or not or staged - has created a tremendous amount of interenational
interest, endless politcal commentary, world leaders chiming it, rolling press releases.

People cant or wont see past that...and some want to believe so bad in something to
take away the pain from 9/11.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i was expecting a bigger bounce around at least 20 points.

this is interesting to see and the election is still a long way off.

alot can happen fear not all is not lost.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I wonder how its going to look for Obama
the new photo appears to be faked

by the looks of things they want us at war
and they are going to keep it up till they get one

I agree with you.
They want war.

From " The Journal " ;Pakistani and American officials say Pakistan has demanded the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency halt unmanned drone strikes against militants in the country.

The officials say Pakistan also wants the U.S. to reduce the number of intelligence operatives and Special Operations forces in Pakistan.

Was he in this compound, surrounded by Pakistani military ?
If that was the case it would give the US an excuse to blame Pakistan for harboring Bin Laden which in the end would give them an excuse to go to war with Pakistan.

This really doesn`t look good.
Pakistan are being framed and Obama is being suckered by his military advisors.

Mmmm, another false-flag ?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Too bad that is the only ratings boost he's going to get on the death of another man.

For Bush and Obama being fiscally and financially irresponsible his ratings need too much.

Like admitting that the money was stolen to begin with.

Or possibly putting forth information about Washington D.C. insiders profiting off of 9/11.

Barack Obama will be a one-term President and nothing more.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I wonder too....
This is all very interesting now as there is a live news brief now

www.msnbc.msn.com...

and they keep empasizing how this was very much a push of Obama...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I suspect it was either to push the whole birth certificate issue from the news (it seems to have done that) or to secure a victory for Harper north of the border, where most of America's oil really comes from.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I too anticipated a larger boost.

One thing about it...

Even though we should have less to fear, I feel more now.

Is it just me?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Little boost for a "big man" story, since Bin Laden was such a high value target, I am suprised.

What I am left wondering about is the debt the U.S. is holding, and it has the attention of the people.

I just dont think there is any way to solve it at this point, and every President we have from now till
the ends of America will have to deal with it.

Lets just hope that there is never another 9/11....my guage of just how evil the Shadow Government
is will be determined by the scope of future terrorist attacks.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

for myself i am maintaining my objectivity.

history has shown when it comes to this nation the economy is often the most important over riding factor.

ghb riding the high approval ratings from the gulf war and lost his relection bid.

has america changed that much? not really sure.

dont fear anything just be aware of the war on terriorism just heated up and while it is still the most concern for americans and the out of control government and a economy in the tank are still concerns for many americans.

it really falls on to which you think is more important and many other americans will make that choice.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Here's an updated Reuters article

U.S. views of Obama improve with Bin Laden death: Reuters poll

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110503/pl_nm/us_binladen_poll

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The killing of Osama bin Laden sharply boosted President Barack Obama's image, improving Americans' views of his leadership and his efforts to fight terrorism, a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Tuesday found.

About four in 10 Americans say their views of Obama improved after he ordered Sunday's successful military operation in Pakistan to kill bin Laden, the mastermind of the September 11, 2001, attacks in New York and Washington.

The boost to Obama's popularity from bin Laden's death could be short-lived as voters focus again on the economy and lingering unemployment -- top concerns heading into 2012 election campaign.

"There is no evidence the boost in his approval rating will last until the election, but an event like this could position Obama as more of a military leader and give him more authority," Ipsos pollster Julia Clark said.

(...)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I just wonder about all the Pakistani aircraft going down?
This could be the US helicopter. But then who were the dead?
www.avionews.com...

Pakistani Army helicopter crashes in Abbottabad. Involved in the attack on Bin Laden?
Abbotabad , Pakistan - Yet the dynamics of the accident are not clear

(WAPA) - A Pakistani military helicopter was shot down in the morning today, causing one dead and two injured. According to local broadcasters the incident happened around 1am in a hilly area of Abbottabad, a small town 60 km from the capital of Pakistan Islamabad.

The broadcaster reported that witnesses said they saw two helicopters flying over the area and then they heard several shots before one of the two machines crashed on the ground. It is not known exactly how many people were on board, because the aircraft could carry 8 to 10 passengers.

The rescue team rushed the scene shortly after the incident has been reported.

It is thought that this might be one of two helicopters used by US Navy special forces in action that led to the killing of Osama Bin Laden: US military sources have reported that in a raid one of the two Machines used was destroyed, but only after the occupants had disembarked. Which is confirmed by the shots heard by witnesses, indicating that the battle has broken out in-house bunker inhabited by the head of Al Qaeda, before he was eliminated.

Then we have another helicopter and a jet fighter.
www.thenewstribe.com...

Abbottabad: A Pakistan Army helicopter has been crashed near Tarbela in Haripur district Pakistan northwest Khyber Pukhtunkha province.

According to initial report a junior officer of Pakistan Army was killed and three ,including a Colonel was injured in the incident.Sources said that the chopper crashed in Pakisan Air Force (PAF) Ghazi Airbase and belonged to army’s Special Services Group (SSG)

Rescue teams have been sent to spot to shift the dead and injured to hospital, and to collect debris of the helicopter.

Earlier in the day, A Mirage jet fighter was also crashed near Jhang district of Punjab province, however the pilot had been safe in the incident.Official sources said that the incident occurred due to some technical fault.

And then you have Pakistan protesting the attack on Osama.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Agreed, all good points.

I think I have something in common with a lot of Americans...
For some reason, 9/11 really got to me, and its a stand alone event in my mind.

I liken it to Pearl Harbor, and no doubt....that is how it was planned, knowing the impact it would
have on the people.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Wow, very interesting.

From your link....

The broadcaster reported that witnesses said they saw two helicopters flying over the area and then they heard several shots before one of the two machines crashed on the ground. It is not known exactly how many people were on board, because the aircraft could carry 8 to 10 passengers.

Now that is not referring to the Heli that was one of the U.S.two...so its strange....it has to be involved!

Great find!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
And heres a article that is being blocked I was able to get access to it through TOR. It is a interesting read.

www.dawn.com...

ISAF Commander Gen Petraeus paid an extraordinary visit to Islamabad last Monday (April 25), when he is said to have held ‘a short and crisp’ discussion with Gen Kayani at an unusual meeting venue — Chaklala Airbase. The two generals are even said to have taken a short trip to an undisclosed location on board an aircraft. The same night Gen Petraeus had through teleconferencing attended a White House meeting chaired by President Barack Obama.

Observers feel that President Obama referred to that meeting in his speech on Monday morning, in which he announced the death of Osama: “And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorised an operation to get Osama Bin Laden and bring him to justice.”

The very next day, Pakistan’s top military coordination body — Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee — held its quarterly session, which was attended among others by ISI Chief Gen Shuja Pasha, who otherwise isn’t a regular member of the body. The meeting was unscheduled.

The final orders for the raid were signed by President Obama last Friday in the presence of National Security Advisor Tom Donilon, his deputy Denis McDonough and counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan.

However, it is not just the denial of the Pakistan army of any prior knowledge of the operation that is raising eyebrows.

Another anomaly in the Pakistan military’s account of the raid is their explanation of how four US helicopters evaded the country’s air defence system for about an hour (almost 30 minutes each side) as they flew in from Bagram and returned after a 40-minute long foray.

One official claimed that the helicopters succeeded in avoiding detection through ‘Nap of the earth flight’ — a military tactic involving low-altitude flying to evade air defence systems. Yet another maintained that the air defence systems had been jammed by the Americans.

If this sequence of events is to be believed then why did President Obama appreciate Pakistan’s cooperation in the operation? Was it out of love for the country?

“But it’s important to note that our counter-terrorism cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to Bin Laden and the compound where he was hiding,” Mr Obama said.

Whatever the case, Pakistani commanders took heart from President Obama’s and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s statements on the incident.

And the power was out in Pakistan.

edition.cnn.com...

The electricity was out in Abbottabad early Monday, recalled city resident Sohair Athar. This was not an especially unusual occurrence, he said. Nor was the buzz of a helicopter overhead, especially given the abundance of such flights since massive floods ravaged the region

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I feel skeptical wether or not it is bin laden* remember, the CIA trained him in the late 80's* he has done lots of business with CIA, and as far as we know, CIA has and does lie to us.in interest of national security. we already know our governemnt dosnt care 1 cent worth of any of us taxpayers. obama dosnt control much of anything, nor does any president it seems. thats becuase CEO's got into the sectratary of treasury, along with wallstreet, screwing many and many and many of us over...no jobs being created. so i feel skeptical wether its him or not.
hell, after WWII, its said general mcarthur had secret meetings with Hirohito, helping to hide things like that newish japanese death cmap found few moths ago, where the japaense did sickening experimental medical experiments on POW's. SS officers did make it to south america, and basically, our government took in some nazis..that made NASA rockets, and look at some of the technology today..remakably something the lufftwaffa would have invented. yeah,t hey were geniouses, but hey were commited nazis* so for our government to take them in, give em a paycheck...they ddi the same thing with bin laden, only to train him, not gain technological stuff. so makes me wonder..how do we REALLY know

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join