It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Rich love to bet on commodity inflation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Super Rich love to bet on commodity inflation Commentary: 12 reasons rich get richer, poor get poorer

www.marketwatch.com

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. (MarketWatch) — Nobody wants to hear the truth. Not Big Oil. Not Big Ag. Not Wall Street. Not the Super Rich. Not China’s billionaires. Not Washington insiders on the take. They do not want to hear the relentless warnings of a Cassandra Chicken Little Crying Wolf about the “End of the World as We Know It.”

Forget the truth. In their minds all that matters is that they’re getting more powerful and richer and richer.
Welcome to the new food economics of 2011: Prices are climbing, but the impact is not being felt equally at all. For Americans, who spen
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3-5-2011 by wildtimes because: to include subtitle

edit on 3-5-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I am/was listening to the Senate hearings on what to do now that the Evil One is dead, relating to troop pull-down and further diplomatic stratEGERies in the M.E. and North Africa, and then did my daily check on the Commodities market.

Found this commentary, and it's an excellent one.

All eyes on war, while so many starve, and most are barely hanging on.

This story was posted at midnight Wash DC time.

It is full of warnings, and I see that last time these warnings made BAN was about a year ago.

Peeps, it's not better - it's worse. And it's bejillions of people about to starve. Read through the commentary, look at the warnings.

WHY is someone not holding the Super Riches' feet to the fire? HOW do we do that?

There's more going on in the world than Al-Qaeda.

Any discussion?

www.marketwatch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Here's another one:
Wall Street tops corporate hall of shame

In order, from least despised to purely despicable, were J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. , Bank of America Corp. , Citigroup Inc. , Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and, America, your most despised institution: American International Group Inc.

www.marketwatch.com...

If Osama bin Laden ran a company, he couldn’t crack the list.
The problem, of course, is that for all the surveys in which a variety of Wall Street institutions finish last there is a a common thread: none of the companies seem to care.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
EDITS ABOVE:
To link to other article and add in some quotes.
This is important for us all to pay attention to, ladies and gents. The EOTWAWKI. Already happening.
(heh - End Of The.....and so on).

edit on 3-5-2011 by wildtimes because: typo

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The crash in silver this week is very interesting. If anyone has been waiting for an entry point this may be a golden one.

There are a myriad of factors creating the perfect storm for a global hunger crisis. It is the main reason for the "Arab Spring." The main cause for revolution is not injustice, political development, but hunger. Desperation drives change.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
If you don't have bread for everybody at least give them games! That's how romans did it, nothing new. That's why this world looks more and more like a freak show. It's all up to people. Unfortunately, people would even choose to starve than to wake up....

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

It's the COPS!!!!!!! they are protecting the elites and their elected minions from the whole "FEET TO THE FIRE" you are asking about. if the COPS were not there, people would have already fixed the rich who are stealing food from the mouths of hungry human beings all for increased profits!!!

investing in food commodities in order to increase the price of food so that they can directly take money from our pockets..how that is not stealing? and every PIG who writes a bogus (60 in a 55 type tickets) speeding ticket takes food out of someone's mouth!!!

the Rich hide behind laws, judges and politicians!!! the pawns are the cops... we must force the cops to step aside OR EVEN BETTER, use them to hold the "RICH'S FEET TO THE FIRE" but they won't, they could and would have already if they wanted to.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I haven't checked to see if there is a thread on this article but it's pretty similar:

www.foreignpolicy.com...

"How Goldman Sachs Created the Food Crisis: Don't blame American appetites, rising oil prices, or genetically modified crops for rising food prices. Wall Street's at fault for the spiraling cost of food. "

The gist of it Goldman's GSCI has a 'long only' bias and combined with the Commodities Modernization Act of 1999 has essentially enabled bankers to drive up commodities pretty much in perpetuity. And of course, commodities funds are being marketed as a 'hedge' against inflation, while being one of the primary causes.

edit on 3-5-2011 by Jessica6 because: got rid of inadvertant smiley...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Don't worry, the elites are so greedy they won't be able to resist going after the pension plans of those cops.

When that happens, all bets are off.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Commodity speculation has been happening a while. Traders cannot trade in securitised debt in the way that they used to since the subprime issue became visible. They turned their attentions to commodities as a sure fire way of making money. Take a look at the futures markets, steady gains across the board.

I have no idea as to why the world hasn't woken up to this. The third world is starving in order to make the traders richer. Even as a capitalist (I'm in business) I find that an abomination.

Food price rises due to speculation are fuelling inflation as much as QE. These people must be controlled before only the rich can afford to eat.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Don't make a simple thing COMPLEX. The poor and dispossed don't suffer from LACK.

Inflated DESIRES turn back on you, in times like these.

Don't be a consumer of the goods.It's time to be a PRODUCER..

Be OBJECTIVE like the artist, the thinker and the seer.

If you follow these SIMPLE protocols, you'll be OK.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Not the end of the world as we know it, just the end of a failed monetary system. Just the end of a failed foreign policy. Life as we know it wouldn't end per say, but it would be seriously disrupted if the USD falls completely.

The article you used, is simply put, fearmongering.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pupilstutor

I am a thinker, I think and know more than many. Yet, no matter how much i think, the food prices still go up, and the rich still profit off of my inability to afford better quality food.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
How is either article 'fearmongering'? I don't see the connection.
My husband and I were talking about this later in the day (ATS gives us lots of conversation-starters, btw, and I thank you all for that!),
and he pointed out the blatant truth - seeing as I am a complete noob in the economic/wall street/investing world and he has been studying it for years and years....
the SHAREHOLDERS of those giant money mills who trade in commodities all make money every time the price of wheat/cattle/chickens/corn goes up. Sure, they also have to pay 2.10 for a loaf of bread, but, their shares earn them .15 cents.
So, their wallets get fatter by more than the consumers' get thinner.

Very simple math, I just hadn't looked at it that way before.

I don't claim to understand the stock market except that it's on paper only - if everyone demanded physical delivery of their commodities there would not be enough to match all the ledgers of "invented" money (i.e. integers marked in ink on paper).

What if - heh - ink were a hot commodity? Or cotton paper? If they were to run out of ink and cotton paper they couldn't.......print.............------------HEY!! Now there's an idea!!!

Someone should corner the market on ink and paper! Then what fun it would be!!

As for silver, I got in when it was a fraction of what it is now. I have recently learned about the Hunt brothers and all the stuff that went on while I was skipping to high school, oblivious to anything at all that was raging all around me (student riots, protests, oil crisis)....

I have also recently tried to learn about things like technical trading charts, 'shorts' and 'longs' and all that fancy talk ad nauseum.

I think it's enlightening, and it certainly has my attention.

I somewhat agree that it's the COPS (in terms of the prosecuting entities, whether it's sub-committees, the supreme court, grand juries, the FBI) - these monsters are RACKETEERING, and they're doing it WITH IMPUNITY.

It's disgraceful.

Bottom line: Yes, the EOTWAWKI for those of us who grew up using typewriters and mailing documents. Who had only three network channels to choose from, one daily newspaper, limited knowledge of things happening on the other side of the COUNTRY, let alone the world....But I acknowledge the point that it's a FAILED MONETARY SYSTEM. And that will, of course, be chaos for those of us who know no other way.

THANKS to all for your thoughtful input.

new topics

top topics

join