It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Homeland Security Secretary May Resign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Tom Ridge may resign after the November election regardless of whether President Bush is reelected, according to several senior Homeland officials. Stating that needs to earn money to put his children through college comfortable. When Ridge was asked if he was worn out he stated, "I am not authorized to be stressed."

www.chron.com
WASHINGTON -- Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge is considering stepping down after the November election, telling colleagues he is worn out from the massive reorganization of government and needs to earn money in the private sector to put his teenage children through college, officials said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find it sad that Tom Ridge, earning $175,700 a year, can't comfortably put his kids through college when people who make 5% of that seem to be able to do it. I sympathize with him the stresses of his job. I hope that he makes the right decision for himself and his family. It's sad that one of the good guys is going to have to leave when Rumsfeld and Ashcroft should go...

[edit on 30-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
There is also this link.
Ridge Considering Retirement

According to the article Assistant Homeland Secretary Susan Neely, and another senior official which was not mentioned in the article, stated that Ridge's decision could change if there is a discussion with the president or we are indeed attacked again with a terrorist act in US soil.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
One of his reasons for wanting to leave is $$$$????

CNN
Ridge, 58, has explained to colleagues that he needs to earn money to comfortably put his two children, Tommy Jr. and Lesley, through college, officials said. Both are teenagers. Ridge earns $175,700 a year as a Cabinet secretary.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

$175,700???? Give me a break. I'm sure the government can help him out anyway, How many kids can you put through school on that salary?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Where is this guy sending his kids? I guess it must be a very expensive colleage alright.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
$175,000.00 a year ELIMINATES you from most financial aide programs, it aint alot of money when you have more than one kid to put through college.

Furthermore someone making 5% of that, roughly $8,750.00 a year (LESS than $900.00 a MONTH!!!!), is NOT paying for their kids' college unless they live under a bridge and don't eat.

m...

[edit on 7-31-2004 by Springer]

[edit on 7-31-2004 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
You know. I can only stand so much brainless twisting of fact before I have to say something.

First off, there's nobody making 5% of 175,000 who is paying their kid's way through college. So, though ATSNN seems to be allowing a great latitude in the bias commentary at the end of articles right now, this doesn't stand as fact.

The second thing that should be pointed out is that those who do only make 5% of 175,000, and have children ready for college, qualify for every financial aide known to man, along with student loans. So their kids will go through college with a large percent of their college education paid for by **ME**.

On the other hand, Mr. Ashcroft will be footing the bill in entirety. I will not be requested to pay any of the funds to educate his children in their higher education pursuits. Not only will I not be bothered by this financial burden, he will.

Nice try. But pulling a percent out of your hat doesn't make the story play.

[edit on 7-30-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 7-30-2004 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
You know. I can only stand so much brainless twisting of fact before I have to say something.

First off, there's nobody making 5% of 175,000 who is paying their kid's way through college. So, though ATSNN seems to be allowing a great latitude in the bias commentary at the end of articles right now, this doesn't stand as fact.

The second thing that should be pointed out is that those who do only make 5% of 175,000, and have children ready for college, qualify for every financial aide known to man, along with student loans. So their kids will go through college with a large percent of their college education paid for by **ME**.

On the other hand, Mr. Ashcroft will be footing the bill in entirety. I will not be requested to pay any of the funds to educate his children in their higher education pursuits. Not only will I not be bothered by this financial burden, he will.

Nice try. But pulling a percent out of your hat doesn't make the story play.

[edit on 7-30-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 7-30-2004 by Springer]

And then there's the reality that a lot of us paid our own way through college. The fact that someone earns $175k a year and can't "put their kids through college and foot the bill"...boo hoo. The kid can get their own financial aid and pay their own student loans like most of the country. That doesn't mean he has to step down. It means his kids have to step up.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
No they can't. Have you never researched this prior to speaking on it. Apparently deeprivergal had never, but I assume now you haven't either.

rich.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well I will have to say that I am in that bracket in wish my daughter after receiving hope scholarship after all she is a 3.9 student I am stuck with 8 thousand dollars from my pocket a year to pay for the related college expenses because we don't qualify for anything else.
Hope paid for the classes and only for 150 dollars in books so room aboard food and expenses is my responsibility and the rest of the books about 400 of per semester depending on the classes.

I am not complaining and she is getting a class A education.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I have to agree that $175,000 a year is a lot more than most of us make and we could live well with that kind of money, but it is also true that none of us probably spend as much money as those people that make over $100k. I could be wrong, but it is possible that the main reason why he is thinking about this is because of the stress of this job, or it is also possible that he wants to spend more time with his family.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
My parents income was more than 100K and they hadn't claimed me on my taxes since I was 18 and I still had to take out loans for my education. Financial aid laws take into consideration the amount parents can pay for school, not how much they actually do.

On a side note, can you blame Mr. Ridge? He is under an insane amount of stress and responsiblity and has the opportunity to earn much more than he currently does with less stress and more family time. If it were someone like me, you would applaud the fact that I was leaving my construction job to help put my kids through school.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by dcgolf]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Losonczy

And then there's the reality that a lot of us paid our own way through college. The fact that someone earns $175k a year and can't "put their kids through college and foot the bill"...boo hoo. The kid can get their own financial aid and pay their own student loans like most of the country. That doesn't mean he has to step down. It means his kids have to step up.

Dude, Your parent's income determines whether or not you get financial aide. Unless his kids can land full time jobs AND carry a full load they are OUT OF LUCK.

So, you are saying you paid your own way through college huh? No loans? No financial aide? Nothing, but you writing checks for books, tuition, room and board ALL out of what you earned on a job while you were in school? AMAZING... Hat's off to you mate!

m...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Ridge has spent decades in public service and has relatively little savings from his lengthy career in government. When Ridge left Pennsylvania as governor, where he served from 1995 to 2001, he was earning $138,316 a year.

$968,212 over these years, My daughter is 4 and I'm already putting money away for her college.

Ridge owns an $873,000 home in Bethesda, Maryland, with his wife, Michele, which they bought last year with a $784,800 mortgage, according to property and banking records. Ridge's most recent financial disclosure reports, filed in early 2003, showed he owned between $122,000 and $787,000 in stocks and funds, including modest ownership in the Walt Disney Co., General Electric, Nike, Oracle Corp. and Microsoft Corp.

I could be wrong, but cant he use these stocks and funds as collateral for a Loan? Or, just sell some of it?

This just seems like a very odd reason for him to include, if he does indeed step down.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

No they can't. Have you never researched this prior to speaking on it. Apparently deeprivergal had never, but I assume now you haven't either.

rich.

Valhall, are you speaking to me? Are you saying that children can't get financial Aid if their parents have the money to send them? I know several people whose parents werent' cooperative with their tax information and thus...because the kids were over 18 and independent were responsibile for their own lives and their own loans.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Occurs he can cash out some of his assest my husband and I did for our daughter is her future and may be he can move to a lest expesive home too.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
First off, we are putting way too much faith in the sources that say it is for monetary purposes. Secondly, can you imagine the stress he is under? If an attack happens, he gets blamed for not seeing it or preventing it. If there is evidence uncovered and he makes it public, he is blamed for scare tactics. As many people have said, the terrorists can fail 99% of the time and know one cares. If we fail 1% of the time, we aren't doing enough. I wouldn't want to work like that.

[edit on 31-7-2004 by dcgolf]

[edit on 31-7-2004 by dcgolf]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

Originally posted by Losonczy

Dude, Your parent's income determines whether or not you get financial aide. Unless his kids can land full time jobs AND carry a full load they are OUT OF LUCK.

So, you are saying you paid your own way through college huh? No loans? No financial aide? Nothing, but you writing checks for books, tuition, room and board ALL out of what you earned on a job while you were in school? AMAZING... Hat's off to you mate!

m...

Actually, mate, I worked full time and got student loans for my schooling. I worked my ass off. And I had friends who wouldn't make their income public knowledge and thus those friends entered the military in order to get a college credit. I'm not saying it's easy...I'm saying it's possible.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Occurs he can cash out some of his assest my husband and I did for our daughter is her future and may be he can move to a lest expesive home too.

BS. If the man wants to take a higher paying private sector job - he's entitled to do so. Where do you get the nerve telling someone else that they must live according to your set of standards?

What if instead of Ridge - we were talking about Kerry? I doubt you would have the same opinion.

This man has performed his civic duty to his country. Now allow him to act in the best interest of his family - just like you are. jeez.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
And I'll say one last thing. The attitude in these posts is very hostile/dismissive. I'm not suggesting that a high income doesn't create some financing burdens for some. Apparently it is a big issue. But with the amount of people in this country that live below the poverty line and those just barely above it, I think it's hard for most people who make anywhere near $175,000 a year to get most American's to feel sorry for them because it's tough for them to put their kids through college. I read the Millionaire next door. I know a lot of people live beyond their means and some salt it all away. I'm saying so many people are so far below $30k a year that it's unreasonable to create a "hardship" argument for anyone in the upper $100s that anyone could even relate to. It sounds arrogant. It may not be, but sounds elitist. I've had a crappy day...and I'm gonna log off before I get more irresponsible with my arguments.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys

Originally posted by marg6043

BS. If the man wants to take a higher paying private sector job - he's entitled to do so. Where do you get the nerve telling someone else that they must live according to your set of standards?

What if instead of Ridge - we were talking about Kerry? I doubt you would have the same opinion.

This man has performed his civic duty to his country. Now allow him to act in the best interest of his family - just like you are. jeez.

The guy can TOTALLY beg out of the job. He can do it because the stress is CRAZY. He can do if for Any number of reasons...but to say it's because it's hard to put his kids through school is odd. I guess it's because our finance system is just too hard on those that earn good money. With that tax cut..you'd think he'd have extra money. But wait, I guess he's not in the over 200 bracket.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join