It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battle Over the Skies of Nuremberg

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Battle Over the Skies of Nuremberg...

Throughout our history, time and time again, sightings of peculiar objects, strange lights and out of place "ships" in the skies have seemingly been sighted, recorded in some way, and then of course peaked human interest with the otherworldly. Whether most, if any, of these sightings, both historical and modern, are indeed the otherworldly itself, well, that's surely an issue for much further discussion.

This being so, I'd like to present 2 fascinating cases for further discussion here and now with this thread - the supposed case of the 'Battle over Nuremberg' between 1561 - 1566. A UFO encounter which seemingly captivated the attention of a whole city, all seemingly describing the events of an epic battle in the skies.

It all seemingly began on the 4th of April, 1561. The early morning residents of Nuremberg were said to have been greeted with a horde of strange and spectacular looking orbs and discs in the skies, some small and round, some being much larger and cylindrical shaped.

What's particularly interesting about this incident, more interesting than itself, is the fact that they allegedly began to start fighting each other quite literally in the skies over Nuremberg at this point. This lasting for approximately an hour. It's said that some of the objects were even travelling in formations together before striking one another.

An odd occurrence, if true, for sure. But after this peculiar incident had come and gone, the same thing seemingly occurred once more, this time over Switzerland in 1566 - this time, the same type of scenario. The objects clustered together in the skies before fighting was said to have broken out amongst them. Some were said to have crashed at times also.

It was this which is where a man called Hans Glaser is said to have recorded the incidents:

The events lasted one hour and had such repercussions that an artist, Hans Glaser, drew a woodcut of it at the time. It describes two immense black cylinders launching many blue and black spheres, blood red crosses, and flying discs. They seem to fight a battle in the sky, it also seems that some of these spheres and objects have crashed outside the city..
(Source)

Shown below:

Here is another image of interest showing the alleged "black cylinders".

"at the time when the sun rose, one saw many large black balls which moved at high speed in the air towards the sun, then made half-turns, banging one against the others as if they were fighting a battle out a combat, a great number of them became red and igneous, thereafter they were consumed and died out,"
(Source)

Here's yet another Interesting snippet I managed to find also. It seems Hans Glaser wasn't the only one to record these events:

According to the Nuremberg Gazette, the "dreadful apparition" filled the morning sky with "cylindrical shapes from which emerged black, red, orange and blue-white spheres that darted about." Between the spheres, there were "crosses with the color of blood." (i.e. red crosses) This "frightful spectacle" was witnessed by "numerous men and women." Afterwards, a "black, spear-like object" appeared.

The author of the Gazette warned its readers:

The God-fearing will by no means discard these signs, but will take it to heart as a warning of their merciful Annunciation with St. Emidius Father in heaven, will mend their lives and faithfully beg God, that he avert His wrath, including the well-deserved punishment, on us, so that we may, temporarily here and perpetually there, live as His children.
(Source)

(Source)

Here's a fascinating video on this case that I managed to find also. This case first mentioned at around 2:27 in the below video.

Best Evidence: Top 10 UFO Sightings - The 1561 Nuremberg case

Going into this incident in too much detail is somewhat difficult as detail is seemingly sparse and personally, I'm not fully convinced myself that this case has a high degree of truth in it, admittedly. But as the whole point of ATS is to "deny Ignorance", I thought it would be worth posting and pondering over much further still. It's an interesting case to say the least after all.

So, this being so, I hope to have at least piqued the interest of others and now I find myself asking the question: Does anyone have any thoughts on this case at all?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Could it have been a supernova even like SN1054?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
To be honest the yellow Nurberg photo looks fake as sin.

A really bad photoshop attempt.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

I just found what images were available on the internet. Then posted them here.

That being so, I do find it odd that there is seemingly only one image of these entire series of events. This one:

I would assume there would be at least a couple more from a couple of different artists. This suggests to me It's possibly based on nothing more than imagination
edit on 3-5-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
one of the more interesting encounters because of the time frame and paintings, but one thing that jumps out at me....

...WHERE is all the debris and evidence of a battle, surely there would be something left behind after such a battle??No??

...unless it was a show instead of a battle

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

but the drawing indicates the objects were in front of the sun so if the picture is dictating what actually happened then it wouldnt be a supernova as that would appear behind the sun

and also the image shows burning debris, which wouldnt happen from a supernova
edit on 3/5/11 by Smiler74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is one of my favorites they say there was no debris because the spheres simply burned up upon hitting the ground after colliding with other spheres very interesting chain of events happened that day i just wish cameras were around to get some real pictures by the descriptions it must have been quit a sight to see

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Smiler74

I don't know what it was, but it must have been something major and out of the ordinary. People were just as smart back in then as they are now... possibly more so, being the peak of the Renaissance. I doubt they would mistake a point source of light in the night sky for orbs and cylinders clearly visible in broad daylight.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Great thread! I find it funny that I believe this before I believe any YouTube video from these days!

I always liked to think that the aliens put in a big effort to make sure that there is no proof of their existence throughout history and would therefore recover all crashed craft and components of.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

They're here baby, and have been since biblical times.
What they are, and where they came from..who knows ??

But there is just too much evidence through the centuries to say otherwise.

I know a supernova has been ruled out, as the imagery is depicted in front of the sun, but the sun has got to be a factor possibly as it is so prominent in the picture you posted.

I know if the earth got hammered by a major solar storm, the aurora borealis would most likely be seen in the sky, but it can't be that....plus the aurora certainly don't resemble an intergalactic battle !!

Mmmm, just wish I'd have been there to see it cos man, it looks like the experience was kinda cosmic !!!

xx

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Well It's an interesting tale for sure. From what we have to go on so far, It seems as though the only conclusion is "something" was actually in the skies at this time. After all, the first incident occurred for at least an hour (not sure of the second), the objects were said to be in formation at times (note: not all the time), It's said they were attacking each other (some even crashed) and towards the end, more of the "objects" came out of the black cylyndrical and much longer object, It's claimed, as if they were actually celebrating a victory.

The battle was such that a winner was perceived as well. Spheroid UFOs were seen emerging from cylindrical 'motherships'. At the conclusion of the battle, it seems a magnificent, black, spear-like super-ship of some kind came upon the scene...
(Source)

This obviously not being the work of a natural event or phenomenon from what there is to go on It would seem. The only other conclusion would be that this story is nothing but a fabrication.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The the Nuremberg woodcut was produced a few years after the event and comes from a sort of "tabloid" of the era. Also similar to nowadays, when people see something beyond their experience they tend to "fill in the blanks" and perhaps embellish a bit.

It is interesting to note that in 1540, Vannoccio Biringuccio published his book THE PIROTECHNIA (De La Piro). Primarily a work on metallurgy, it did include a section on fireworks.

10. On certain artificial combustible materials and the procedures followed in making fireworks to be used in warfare and for festivals.
www.collectorsbookmarket.com...

Fireworks were a pretty new invention, beyond most peoples' experience.

During the Renaissance in Europe (1400-1500), the Italians began to develop fireworks into a true art form. Since this was a period of artistic creativity and expression, many new fireworks were created for the first time. Military rockets could be modified by adding powered metals and charcoal in order to create bursts of gold and silver sparks in the sky. The Italians were able to develop aerial shells - canisters of of explosive composition that were launched into the sky and exploded at the maximum altitude (the Chinese also developed shells that were spherical in shape).
www.pyrouniverse.com...

edit on 5/3/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
perhaps it was a kind of time slip, the people of nuremberg did see the WW II airfights..explosions in the sky do look like sheres with many colors..

Some have pointed out that the woodcuts and descriptions of the event sound very much like a modern day "dogfight" between planes of opposing forces. The black circles in the woodcut look very similar to explosions in the sky as photographed by World War II reporters. In addition, the cross shaped vehicles look very similar to the profile of a World War II fighter ascending in a steep climb. As such, some have proposed that the events witnessed were actually old World War II battles and that some sort of slip in space/time allowed the 16th century town to witness an event that would not occur for another 400 years.

www.altereddimensions.net...

www.aliens-everything-you-want-to-know.com...

edit on 3-5-2011 by anti72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No, they knew what the hell fireworks, and cannons, and greek fire, and all that stuff was.................

New type of fireworks.....jeeeeez...............................................................

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Really good imagination...or REALLY good drugs!

S&F OP. I love accounts of strange events such as this! Whether it be from the mind of a man, or truth, it's quite interesting.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I was going to say some kind of atmospheric event which somehow allowed masses of ball lighting to form and bounce into on another.

But the "dark cylinders" hmmm,no idea,and have never seen any form of firework which produces anything resembling a dark cylinder.

Who knows,maybe a bit of exageration through the ages,maybe not.

Reminds me of another event I once read about,and have since lost the link:
About how a Roman scribe documents a huge metal thing pop out of the ground,loads of witnesses etc.

Anyone recall that one,I would love to read more on that subject..

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The the Nuremberg woodcut was produced a few years after the event and comes from a sort of "tabloid" of the era.

First off, and you're probably aware of this already thus the quotes above, but there appears to be quite some doubt over the credibility of this tabloid - This tabloid seemingly providing claims which would boost the credibility of this whole case making this an interesting skeptical point worth noting.

Here's a snippet:

All right, you may be thinking, we have a woodcut and a published account from a historical source. What’s the problem? The first problem is the fact that a reference to the Gazette of the Town of Nuremberg doesn’t show up anywhere other than UFO and conspiracy sites. Most towns had some sort of official record documenting major events but they weren’t necessarily gazettes or newspapers, Actually, the first modern newspaper was printed in 1605, almost half a century after the incident. Before that, news were generally delivered by sheets or pamphlets with information intended for businessmen to help them in conducting commerce.
(Source)

Admittedly, I can't be 100% sure of this claim (some more digging is needed of course) at this time but If this is indeed true, then It's a huge hit to the credibility of the original claims of a UFO battle over the skies of Nuremberg, IMO.

Anyway, in regards to the firework explanation, I admit, I'm not sure I can say I'm fully convinced by this to be perfectly honest. I mean, I can understand that something new such as this could more than certainly provide a more than plausible answer to the original claims. And the timeline does seem to fit quite nicely but could this explanation really explain the claim of smaller objects being greeted by a much larger, black, cylindrical object? Could It explain the supposed formations of these smaller objects? Could it explain some of the object's falling to earth and crashing? I'm just not fully convinced, admittedly.

This being so, I can't seem to find any other source for a lot of these claims made coming from anywhere other than the original tabloid report (If anyone could correct me, please do so) giving the impression, to me, and taking into consideration my above point, It's possible that over the years, a lot has been 'added on' to the story - a story which appears to have already been fabricated after.

I wouldn't rule out the original story coming from fireworks also. The timeline and the nature of fireworks just seem too coincidental for me.
edit on 3-5-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Very compelling case which i have been interested in for quite a while now. I was actually going to start a thread on this in a couple of days haha

If anyone is interested in UFOs and encounters with alien beings from before modern times, then i suggest you read Wonders In The Sky.

Its a great read. Lots of little short stories about sightings, abductions ect which makes it a good one to keep next to the toilet

Peace

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by anti72

That's a fascinating theory, and an over all idea I've delved into in the past. I even dedicated this thread to the nature of time slips in fact. But this being so, It seems that most stories of this nature don't involve anyone experiencing any kind of time slip for a longer period than the time it takes to notice you're actually in a time slip itself.

This being so, the original claims of this case say that the objects in the skies were fighting" for approximatively one hour. Not to forget that the original claims of these objects look nothing like the aircraft of modern times or during any world war.

So, It's an interesting idea but personally, I don't think It's plausible in all honesty.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Found this on wiki:

en.wikipedia.org...

Nuremberg, Germany in 1561 Sun dogs might explain a remarkable phenomenon observed in Germany: on April 4, 1561, the skies over Nuremberg, Germany were filled with a multitude of celestial objects that were observed by many people in the city. The phenomenon was described in a News notice (an early form of newspaper) published in Nuremberg on April 14, 1561, along with a woodcut by Hans Glaser, depicted to the right.[8]

Not sure it's a good fit as far as explanations go, but it's something else to consider.
edit on 3-5-2011 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join