It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elections Canada and the Bogus Robo Calls

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Bad pennies keep coming back, don't they?

The NDP is linking the Conservative Party to a “dirty tricks” campaign in the last federal election, in which robo-calls were used to send voters to the wrong polling stations.

Basing their attacks on a report Thursday in the Ottawa Citizen, the Official Opposition called on Elections Canada and the RCMP to conduct a full investigation and lay appropriate charges.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

Yes, they do.

Here's how it all went down:

www.ottawacitizen.com...

Dirty tricks are dirty tricks, whether they're voting machine glitches, smear campaigns through negative ads or the wealthy getting paying for them through PAC's, it's all bad juju in the democratic process and needs cleaning up.

Not in Canada, you might say?

Those days are long gone.

edit on 23/2/12 by masqua because: bb code

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Not in Canada, you might say?

Those days are long gone.

edit on 23/2/12 by masqua because: bb code

The simple fact that this is being discussed openly and pursued by an agency like Elections Canada says that things are not nearly as far gone as some would claim.

If Harper is found to be guilty (or the PC's), I imagine the GC would be forced to call an election. Harper (or the offending persons) will be charged and we will move on to 12 years of Liberaldom (again).

I see this as a clear sign that Canada and Canadians will not tolerate the BS that seems to run rampant in other countries.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
I see this as a clear sign that Canada and Canadians will not tolerate the BS that seems to run rampant in other countries.

I sure hope you're right. truth is, I haven't seen such a tomato fight in ages. Every day brings hot new spaghetti sauce.

The burners are turned up to 10:

The “robo-call” and voter-suppression scandal is rapidly threatening to become a full-blown political crisis for Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, with the number of ridings where dirty tricks are alleged to have skewed races in the last federal election climbing to almost 30.

It's just a 'rogue staffer'... oh, yeah!!! Please pass me the slingshot.

The Commissioner of Canada Elections, who enforces the Elections Act, has confirmed he is investigating complaints related to “crank calls designed to discourage voting, discourage voting for a particular party, or incorrectly advise electors of changed polling locations.”

The Tories have denied engineering a voter suppression scheme but acknowledged at the same time that a rogue staffer might have done things without campaign consent.

link

Amazing rogue. 30 ridings across the country. He must have been very busy.

A young Conservative staffer involved in a controversial 2011 election campaign in the Ontario riding of Guelph has just left the office of MP Eve Adams.

Michael Sona, 23, had been working for about a week in the office of Ms. Adams, the Conservative MP for the Toronto-area riding of Mississauga–Brampton South. A source said Mr. Sona resigned Thursday evening

Oh. Never mind the slingshot, the rogue's in the briar patch already.

edit on 27/2/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Oh... almost forgot Canada's more liberal newspaper to see what they've found:

OTTAWA—Callers on behalf of the federal Conservative Party were instructed in the days before last year’s election to read scripts telling voters that Elections Canada had changed their voting locations, say telephone operators who worked for a Thunder Bay-based call centre.

These weren’t “robo-calls,” as automated pre-recorded voice messages as commonly known. They were live real-time calls made into ridings across Canada, the callers say.

In a new twist on new growing allegations of political “dirty tricks,” three former employees of RMG — Responsive Marketing Group Inc.’s call centre in Thunder Bay — told the Star about the scripts.

www.thestar.com...

“We made around six million calls during the Election to identify our supporters and get them out to vote.”

Fascinating

Well, that's rather special, isn't it? I'm starting to think something is really going to stick on those spiffy suits. Actually, The above story is an interesting read in full and I'd advise Canadians to click on the link.

edit on 27/2/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Elections Canada has been deluged by 31,000 complaints in relation to last year’s ballot, focused mainly on robo-calls and other harassing phone calls.

The non-partisan agency received 500 complaints in relation to the previous election in 2008, and 329 in relation to the 2006 ballot.

The explosion in complaints is related in large part to widespread media coverage of alleged fraudulent robo-calls in the Ontario riding of Guelph, as well as other alleged irregularities in dozens of other ridings.

Things are really getting out of hand for the tories. If there's to be elections called in ridings where this happened, because the complaints outnumber the difference between the winner and loser, there's a good chance the government may lose their majority.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Following the money:

“PayPal has been served a production order in regards to the Elections Canada investigation,” company spokeswoman Martha Cass said Monday.

Production orders are court orders to turn over documents.

The company said it is co-operating with the probe but declined to elaborate.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission gets involved:

Deluged with a staggering volume of grievances about fraudulent calls in the last election, Elections Canada is referring some complainants to another federal regulator – the CRTC – that also has a responsibility to police the country’s phone lines.

www.theglobeandmail.com... om&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2356455

The river is getting very murky indeed. Hopefully, the expected flood of information will have the ultimate effect of allowing us to be able to see the rocks at the bottom of this stream.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Let us hope that this leads to the end of Harper's majority government.

He's ruined our country enough with his draconian laws and complete disregard for Canadian Principles.

I'm surprised I never saw this thread until today, seems like these allegations stem from way before they want us to believe they did.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I was on this the day after the election.

I guess it takes time for the dullards (not you) on The Hill to take notice of the possibility that our Democratic parliamentary system may have been hijacked.

Considering the prevalence of the story behind Grapes shooting one across Burke's bow last Saturday night, it seems most Canadians don't really worry or even care about democracy anymore. I wonder why?

Ignorance, it seems, IS bliss after all.

edit on 6/3/12 by masqua because: too many smilies

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I've been saying for a week now that we need to consider pro-rouging the House and Senate to my friends and anyone that will listen. Harper did it before, we as Canadians should demand it now, so no more bills can be passed through the House until we have a chance to see who's got the sticky fingers in this situation.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yeah, no Canadian wants to believe that a party hijacked an election. Even though Harper's party pleaded guilty to election spending fraud last year and was held in contempt of Parliament for lying to Canadians.

It's amazing to me how this all happened and honestly if nothing happens of this Robo Call business, I might consider becoming an ex-patriot and moving to a country that at least pretends to care about it's citizens.

I'm thinking Denmark or one of those other nice Canadian climate like nations in Europe.

Honestly I think it's apathy mixed in with misunderstand of how our system works. There are not enough Canadians involved in the political system to really scare out politicians. Mind you they were never the kind to pass these restrictive type of laws, our government use to worry about budgets and various other social programs.

Not putting Canadians in jail for no reason, building new prisons, rigging elections and attempting to spy illegaly on us.

What have we become?

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Slaanesh

Completely agree with you.

There are, at least, a few demonstrations in the streets over this. Let's hope the cry for answers is loud and clear. All that finger pointing during question period serves nothing.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yeah question period is now a farce. Just an excuse for PM's to take pot shots at each other.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

What have we become?

~Tenth

George Bush's wet dream.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
the biggest money lobbyest ever, Jack Abrahmoff is out of jail
On the Joyce Riley show today he said all the elections in the west are rigged
( he also said Ron Paul is the only Honest polititian he knows of)

Ron Paul being an actual conservative and others like Buddies Bush, and Harper, and Howard, the Liberal (Oz) being Globalist ...out to dismantle thier respective nationalities..
*sigh*- all enemies foreign and domestic

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

No smile from me on that on Masqua

Just a loud sigh.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
And, From the most conservative accredited newspaper in Canada, we have this gem:

OTTAWA — More than a dozen Conservative MPs hired a U.S.-based telemarketing firm in the last federal election campaign, contrary to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s claim that it was only the Liberals who employed American calling firms.

The revelation comes as a political embarrassment to the governing Tories, who are on the defensive in the growing robocall controversy and had tried in the House of Commons to embarrass their critics.

news.nationalpost.com...

Would that be Front Porch?

Yes...

Records show that Front Porch Strategies, based in Columbus, Ohio, conducted telephone work for 14 Conservative candidates in last spring’s federal election. The firm was founded in 2006 by Matthew D. Parker, who has done extensive work for Republican politicians in the U.S.

Oh, my...

And, who are Front Porch Strategies?

Front Porch Strategies is an award winning international voter contact and constituent communications firm based out of Columbus, Ohio. Our passion is helping Republican candidates, elected officials, and conservative causes win by personally connecting them with voters and constituents.*

frontporchstrategies.us...

*bolding mine

Very interesting.... not too biased, I hope.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

This is nuts because it does come from the Conservative paper. Is anyone besides the Harper Government themselves actually in their defense, or have all the rats left the ship at this point? I haven't seen much... except from the Globe and Mail.

“From the point of view of anybody concerned about our political system, it’s a non-scandal,” says Michael Bliss, the eminent historian. But parliamentary politics is such a bear pit that, in the absence of a real scandal (such as the sponsorship affair), a non-scandal will have to do. Opposition politicians, along with a fair portion of the media, have clamped on to the Harper government like a pack of rabid chihuahuas. They’ve escalated the rhetoric so much that you’ve got to wonder what they’ll say when a real scandal comes along.

Link: www.theglobeandmail.com...

Has anyone else stayed on the ship that you've seen?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slaanesh
Has anyone else stayed on the ship that you've seen?

In a word... no.

Only the PMO and Inner Cabinet are continuing to stay the course, with fingers pointed at everyone but themselves and even going so far as to blame Elections Canada for those phone calls (even though Elections Canada is on record saying they never call citizens.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It's always good to put a humourous spin on all of this issue.

Enjoy and have a chuckle over Canada's current shame:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Everything isn't always as clear as it appears when the left wing media is given a bone and decides to run with it like an angry mob before all the facts are on the table.

Video On "Robo Calls" From SUN NEWS Ezra Levant

Please, save your breath about SUN NEWS and Ezra Levant as being "biased" and so called "ultra right wing". I've heard it all to often from the kids on Facebook.

<< 1    3 >>

join