It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Time Meditator, Would Like Expert Advice.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Hi ATSer's

I just meditated for the first time.

After some events I have been through in the last couple of weeks, I have been drawn to look into the spiritual realm (as I did when I first joined ATS but got distracted by all the alien/disaster threads). After reading the "Hidden_Hand" thread I decided to take the first step, meditation. I would just like to share my experience and hear back from some of our expert meditator, to see if what I experienced was "right".

I used binaural beats for my "first time meditation" and meditated for about ten minutes. Here's what I experienced in order of there happenings;

- Raised Heart beat (almost jumping out of my chest).
- Sense of being closed off (Hard to explain, maybe some of you will understand).
- Relaxation (Heart beat slowing).
- Tunnel vision (This maybe due to the fact I put on a blindfold).
- Light-less-ness (Again this may make more sense to others).

At this point the music stopped, I tried to carry on but I lost my focus.

After-effects;

- I feel a little shaky (like when you don't eat).
- My head feels a little clearer.
- I feel a bit happier.

The reason for this thread is so I (and others like me) can connect with our resident meditating experts for advice and help along this long and interesting path. I know its possible to find all the info on the net, I just find it to be too impersonal and I learn better when I actually communicate with my teacher. So my first few questions are;

- How long and how many times should I meditate? (say in a weeks)
- Is there any danger in meditation? I.e; Raised heart beat.
- What techniques are best?
- Any useful tips?

Lets make this a hub where all beginners can share their stories and learn from the masters.

Thank you for your time.
ALS

edit on 3-5-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Meditation is good, my personal opinion tho is that it will consume your protective coating rendering you without protection, so meditation should at least come with some protective measures.

Let me explain.
Out into the open, or out of the cave like Plato's cave, or like the movie matrix, out of the matrix.
They all make refrence to the same thing, you are out of your suit that you wear, and I'm not talking about your body, but out of the coating that is protecting your self and your energy.

For some reason they left this part out and instead used some example of how bad the matrix, or the cave is forgetting to mention that the cave or the so called "bad and evil matrix" is in fact your protective coating that surrounds you and offers protection, it's like a shelter for your energy/soul.

Imagine an astronaut in space without it's space suit (protective coating)
Back to meditation, it will start to hurt and you will start to feel bad when you start consuming the protective layer
around your brain and on your pineal. Some call this pineal gland activation, but it's the deplition of the pineal gland, consuming and at most important consuming it's protective layer and exposing you to the outside you are vulnerable to outside influence control and attack. Meditation without proper diet and fitness will expose you to dangers because in time it will bring you outside but without any protection. To sustain meditation you need also to sustain your protective layer, I can get out but I can get in my shelter.

This is part of the new age agenda, they left things out, and made things like "the cave" or "the matrix" as a bad thing, forgetting to tell you that these in fact represent your outher shell.

edit on 3-5-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

So how do I go about protecting myself?

ALS

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Hmm.. Interesting..
I dont use any binaural beats or music for meditation so cant comment on that aspect.

Usually I use zazen technique and at times walking meditation that learned studying under buddhist monks.
In meditation one should strive to attain a calm , relaxed state. It isnt normal to encounter increased pulse/heart rate or tunnel vision.
With advanced meditation one can control ones heart and respiration rates along with heal oneself but it takes many years of practice to achieve.

As far as frequency you can meditate as much or as little as you want.

Hope reply makes sense my english is rusty - and not everything translates well to english its a limited language...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

You don't need blindfolds are special beats to meditate. That's silly.

All you need to do is bring your full awareness to any situation. Be aware of feelings, sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and yes your thoughts too. As long as you bring awareness to any moment it is a form of meditating. It can even be driving a car or playing a sport.

And yes, this will make you happy because the only thing that causes unhappiness is believing that the stories you tell yourself are true. They're not. They're just interpretations and perceptions.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Hmm i always found music distracting so I never used it. The only tip I could offer is controlled breathing. My method is quite simple, be extremely aware of your breathing, force yourself to breath fully using your diaphragm. Long in hales and exhales. Try to imagine your lungs filling with air then slowly breath out, eventually trying to get to a point where you are exhaling longer than your are inhaling.

That's the simple method I've used for years, walking, doing the dishes, anything. If nothing else, it helps calm you down and relaxes you.

You should not be experiencing an increased heart beat, this could be related to improper breathing and could possibly be slight hyper ventilation, which would also explain the tunnel vision.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I just sit in a semi-comfortable pose with my back straight. I used to want to get real comfortable and thought all the positions were kinda silly, but I have naturally gravitated to a few, and doggone it, they are actual poses prescribed though not common. lol

The Dalai Lama's advise was to sit as straight as you could, so I tried that and it's hard but worth it.

Where I really got started good was using Little Meditation Album. I highly recommend it for beginners. Especially the tract that teaches you to count your breaths.

I use many different techniques now but that is my fall back. I count my breaths one two three four one two three four and if I lose it, I start back at one.

You don't NEED the beats. If you meditate for 2 minutes counting your breath, that's fine. You build up, like a distance runner. It's not important to expect a lot - don't. Just do the work of DOING it.

I don't feel I need any sort of protection. I don't have a religous construct that would make me feel any danger - that IS my natural protection. If you do - if you have any sort of religious construct that has taught you that meditation could be dangerous or bad, or any fear of it - then, IMO, you would probably benefit from some sort of 'protective practice.' If it continues to make you feel nervous in that way, you might stop, and look to your own religion for a similiar practice - IE prayer sessions.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL

- How long and how many times should I meditate? (say in a weeks)
- Is there any danger in meditation? I.e; Raised heart beat.
- What techniques are best?
- Any useful tips?

I'm glad you're getting into meditation and not afraid to ask some questions.

-How long: Any amount of time is okay. The goal is to meditate while being able to perform daily activities, so in theory you can meditate constantly while not just sitting there like a statue but also doing things. I caution to not do this while driving until you are a bit more experienced, but start with simple things like brushing your teeth or taking a shower, try and meditate while doing these basic functions.

-Is there danger: The only danger is becoming more aware of your true self, which disconnects you from the smaller ego. This is not so much a danger as it is a benefit, but if you are someone who is attached to your ego, you may find this to be a bit scary like you are losing your self, but really you are gaining your true self.

-Inward perception is the best: Turn into your mind, and see with your mind. Record and remember what you see.

-Keep practicing, like all things practice makes perfect.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

In meditation one should strive to attain a calm , relaxed state. It isnt normal to encounter increased pulse/heart rate or tunnel vision.

The Higher heart rate could be because (for some reason) I felt a little nerious doing it (Meditation).

Walking meditation? I haven't heard of this, I thought to meditate you had to be seated in a relaxed position. Guess it shows how much a novice I am.

ALS

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MindF

I used a blindfold because I couldn't keep my eyes closed.

ALS

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

reply to post by pepsi78

So how do I go about protecting myself?
ALS

It's like the matrix movie, red and blue pill, you need bolth pills. The blue one is your innocence, it's what innocence means, you're inside protected, innocent. Red pill is a trip outside. When you go out if it rains you take some extra worm cloth "some innocence" to protect your self. Everything is coated, even cables.

I can point out some real examples in life, everything needs protection, when you go out into the sun you use an umbrela or sunglasses if it's too strong. When astronauts go into space they have suits to protect them, for everything there is protection, sun lotion for no sun burns. Head caskets for your head if you are a construction worker, same thing with spirituality, for anything there is some form of coating, welcome to the matrix, the otther
layer around you.

I'm sick of all the BS lies and all of the BS movies that promote this.

Let me put it this way, your brain needs wrapping, it does not have a protective layer, (everything) neurons, cells, pineal gland has coating, without this protective layer then you are open to attack and it;'s feeding time for those who feed of your energy. Imagine your body parts even the smallest are wrapped in this layer of special transparent plastic, you can call it the cave or the matrix.

All I can tell you is if you do not know how to protect your self then don't go too far.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

This is a technique I had previously heard of, I actually used it to calm my heart during my meditation. I will definatly be using it from know on.

Thanks.
ALS

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

The only danger is becoming more aware of your true self, which disconnects you from the smaller ego. This is not so much a danger as it is a benefit, but if you are someone who is attached to your ego, you may find this to be a bit scary like you are losing your self, but really you are gaining your true self.

Could you please elaborate on this, I'm not sure what you mean by smaller ego.

Thank you.
ALS

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

I see what you saying. All things need protection from other or opposing things, I.e; Cables need protection from water, The brain has a skull to protect it from damage etc..etc.

All I can tell you is if you do not know how to protect your self then don't go too far.

I would be most grateful if you could give me a few tips on how I go about protecting myself.

ALS

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

the ego is the physical body. It includes the physical parts (legs, arms, etc) and the physical senses (sight, touch, etc), it also includes imagination and reasoning faculties, and the intellect. This is categorized as the 'ego' 'who we are' 'the body'. It is different from the true self, which is defined as Reality itself.

The secret behind meditation is that the soul is actually reality itself, but it is hidden by the ego. The phrase is "Atman is Brahman" where Atman is the soul, and Brahman is Absolute Reality. In deep moments of meditation, called samadhi, the individual experiences their soul as being equal to that of absolute reality (eternal, unchanging, infinite light, etc).

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

the ego is the physical body. It includes the physical parts (legs, arms, etc) and the physical senses (sight, touch, etc), it also includes imagination and reasoning faculties, and the intellect. This is categorized as the 'ego' 'who we are' 'the body'. It is different from the true self, which is defined as Reality itself

I see, so through meditation these "lines" between the phyiscal (Body) and Spiritual (soul) dissovle and the two become one. Is it possible for the "Ego" to be completely lost or is it just lost during a state of meditation.

Sorry to ask so many questions I am quite new to all this.

ALS

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

What music where you listening to?
What where you attempting to do?
(as in was it for relaxation, or motivation or self programming, exploration)

binaural beats and the other systems based on pulsing sound or lights is to get the brain to move to a particular brainwave state such as

gamma brainwaves
en.wikipedia.org...
or
beta brainwaves
en.wikipedia.org...
or
alpha brainwaves
en.wikipedia.org...
or
theta brainwaves
en.wikipedia.org...
delta brainwaves
en.wikipedia.org...

the point of using binaural beats is that you can explore these other states and simply stop (listening) when ever you chose – unlike for example with drugs

There is still a learning curve using binaural beats but it’s much less the traditional methods

Get some good low or zero response headphones or the flashing light glasses have a drink of water before you start and enjoy

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

the ego is the physical body. It includes the physical parts (legs, arms, etc) and the physical senses (sight, touch, etc), it also includes imagination and reasoning faculties, and the intellect. This is categorized as the 'ego' 'who we are' 'the body'. It is different from the true self, which is defined as Reality itself

I see, so through meditation these "lines" between the phyiscal (Body) and Spiritual (soul) dissovle and the two become one. Is it possible for the "Ego" to be completely lost or is it just lost during a state of meditation.

Sorry to ask so many questions I am quite new to all this.

ALS

I don't mind the questions, ask away.

Yes, the line between body and soul dissolve and become one, this is called one-pointedness meditation or samadhi, the state of super consciousness where all is one.

The ego is an illusion, so it does not become lost, but rather you realize it is just an illusion. The ego is created by the mind. The attributes are added onto it, so for example if you think you are a banker or police man or cook, you believe that that is what you are. But if you change professions, you stop being a cook, and instead become a police man. Did you lose the 'cook' in you and gain the 'police man'? No, you simply changed. In the same way your perception of who you are changes, from small human being to absolute reality.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

reply to post by pepsi78

I see what you saying. All things need protection from other or opposing things, I.e; Cables need protection from water, The brain has a skull to protect it from damage etc..etc.

I would be most grateful if you could give me a few tips on how I go about protecting myself.

ALS

The skull does not offer protection, well only for physical contact, if you hit your self, other than that no.
It might be hard yo imagine but every bit of your self, or your cells in your body, membrains, cells are protected by this fine transparent coating, it's like plastic wrap. Without it your body is "wide into the open"

What will meditation do.
Meditation will activate your pineal gland at a faster rate then normal.
For it to be sustained it needs to eat, your pineal gland does eat nutrients, the food for the pineal is the protective coating it has around in and inside the pineal gland so it needs to be sustained so your pineal gland does not run out of this substance. So an overactive pineal gland will consume it's self when it "runs out of food"
It's the phase where you feel week or say you have headakes or you flee dizzy, many people reported this from meditation, next stage is where you don't care at all.
So in short there will be pleajure and after that starts the problems from a depleated pineal.

I am not at liberty to tell you what to eat, just telling you what is what.
If you take a look at living things in general, to sustain something you have to feed it all the time, give it food, nurture it or it dies out, specialy when you use it more then regular.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

What music where you listening to?

I was listening to this:

What where you attempting to do?
(as in was it for relaxation, or motivation or self programming, exploration)

I guess I was/am exploring, I want answers to things i'm not even sure I know the questions to (If that makes sense). I want to find out if theres more to life than the reality I percieve around me and I hear meditation is the first step.

the point of using binaural beats is that you can explore these other states and simply stop (listening) when ever you chose – unlike for example with drugs

There is still a learning curve using binaural beats but it’s much less the traditional methods

Get some good low or zero response headphones or the flashing light glasses have a drink of water before you start and enjoy

Thank you I will certainly be pursuing this method.
ALS

top topics

<<   2 >>

join