It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Believing In Conspiracy Theories Is A Form Of Psychosis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Lets not ever question anything then eh? Let our govts send us into wars without having to perform false flag operations first to convince the masses that war is the way.

edit on 3-5-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty
Lets not ever question anything then eh? Let our govts send us into wars without having to perform false flag operations first to convince the masses that war is the way.

edit on 3-5-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

If I were you, you better start thinking this way. You might be labelled homeland terrorist.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This guy should have payed me a visit while doing his itty bitty good for nothing research and maybe he´d ended up with something of value.

Also, he is lying...or he's not comfortable enough with telling all of his findings.

They seem to forget, while doing their research, who is paying them. Ignorant scientists are damaging to society on a whole different level than an ignorant paranoid conspiracy theorist for example. Since governments take their information from ignorant scientists and not ignorant paranoid conspiracy theorists, that is.

Ah well, did you guys enjoy the searing?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
By th logic of the person in the video; So is believing in God.

ALS

Believing in god is worse. Conspiracy theorists at least try to provide evidence (even if often misguided)

you raise an important point.

the reason were are not a religion,or a cult....we demand evidence,we don't operate on faith.

i think whats happening is that more and more people are questioning things now...so its a case of fight back,to stop all this question asking and dis-believing official storys from spreading...plant the seeds of conspiracy cult freak on people for speaking out..to shut us up..dis-credit us all,a slur campaign if you will.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

hehe yeah lets just leave it there or i'll end up confused

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
pretty soon the way things are heading...all of us here,will be labeled and wanted for being a left wing extremists..

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Well I know I would kill Marilyn Monroe - in a heartbeat! I'd put some nicotin in her enema.
Get a team to pop JFK and blame it on some patsy.
Experiment on people, put them in comas for months, give them '___' without telling them to see what would happen...
Make up stories about WMDs cause I want some war baby!

Wouldn't everyone?

I'm joking. I'm actually one of the most anti-war, anti-violence people I know.

That guy seems to be mistaking the ability to THINK like a bad guy - black hat thinking - with the willingness to act like one.

I don't think anyone would want a bunch of conspiracy theorists for enemies. I do believe that the folks on this board include some of the smartest, most informed intellects and creative thinkers I've seen.

Maybe that's what is behind all this. I hate that it seems to be partisan. The left seems really willing to try to put down conspiracy theorists b/c of the birther issue, but they seem to forget that when Bush was in office, a lot of them were among those that questioned the WMD story, which, of course, panned out to be true.

A lot of this is partisanship, and it's just a wheel spinner.
edit on 3-5-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Failing to question what One is told is a form of mental laziness.

You're right, Mav. They are marginalizing Us who don't want pablum, but rather the grist.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
Believing In Conspiracy Theories Is A Form Of Psychosis.

here's a video i found from msnBc aired recently talking about a new book out amongthetruthers,which i found disgusting,saying conspiracy theorist are like a religion,we are weird,and we don't watch the mass media,so therefore we live in our own reality,our little self contain internet bubble,and were all living in a cacoon,away from reality,and blaming the internet for making us,act in this way....

so now we will all be labeled as a new religion/cult...if we dare talk out.

the purpose of this thread is to keep you aware we are now being labeled as a fringe group..outcast cult,who have lost leave of our sense's.

While I don't agree with the thought that everyone that follows the conspiracy theories is submerged in a cult like life or mentally disturbed in some way, I do think it is certainly prevalent among some. Please hear me out on this one.

Let's say your a 9/11 conspiracy supporter. While I don't necessarily agree with you in any way, I do believe you have the right to believe what you believe and I think you feel like you have enough information to make your own decision. This can be the case for a number of various conspiracy theories, not just 9/11.

Here's where I check out and separate those who believe and those who are just down right confused, mentally unstable, and cult-like. If you choose to not respect that not everyone believes what you do, and rather than listen to the counter points, you call them "sheep", "sheeple" or "disinfo distributors" you have now gone from someone who believes in a certain conspiracy to cult-like and living in your own reality, which doesn't coincide with real life. You may be right on some points, but so may I. Neither has the whole truth, but some of the people on these boards lack the ability to debate their points. They simply make some vague claim and then call you a sheep if you don't immediately agree with them. My favorite thing is when they say that somene just isn't as "enlightened" as the conspiracy theorist.

Next you have the people that have spun so far out of control that damned near everything is a conspiracy. Part of believing in a conspiracy is getting to the bottom of the barrel and digging out the truth, right? Even if that truth ends up being counter to the conspiracy? That should be a fair conclusion, but it isn't on these boards. If someone offers a fact, known or not, that is counter to the theory, the conspiracy theorist will simply dismiss the fact as either part of the conspiracy, or a new conspricay all its own. The Obama birth certifiacte issue will never go away because it is impossible to satisfy the conspiracy theorist. There simply will never be enough proven facts to make them accept even the possibility that they were wrong.

Last, there is the group that spends most of their time predicting the alien invasion of Earth. I'm not even to get into that one. I really think most of them are either making stuff up for fun or are living in a different reality...not in a good way!

The real problem with many conspiracy theorists is the cherry picking of articles and constant reliance on you tube videos, while blindly objecting to anything else because the "MSM" said it. I'm all good with denying ignorance, but much of the time that denial is a one way street. There is some rampant ignorance in many of these threads but it's ok because it's not a main stream thought.

Some of the people on these boards would disagree with what I've said, but that's the nature of life. You are free to believe what you want and I will never tell you you are wrong for that belief. I might disagree with your belief adn I might challenge your belief, as you should mine. The difference is that I don't think of you as a sheep for believing something contrary to what I believe.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
We should all be complimented for the fact that we are no longer the gullible gussiesof the past.

We have been given such spinned, impertinent or stupid explanations for their actions by our governments and institutions, invariably after they have either lost, or wasted vast sums of public money, or done something they know the people they represent, would be totally against, that we are getting stronger in challenging and exposing them and all slowly waking up to what they are doing.

The fact that now another group of 'the pretty bunch' have been released onto the forums, (one of whom clearly has Zionist interests at heart) clearly shows their fear and utter desperation to stem the flow. (Some groups of people will always revert to certain psychosis when challenged, such as rawcus name calling and attempting to put derogatory labels on other groups, when the reality of their own self importance becomes unhinged.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This has been said before, but the author has a point that the act of "Believing In" something is psychotic.
Belief or disbelief is an artifact of rational thought. Belief "IN" something is where the psychosis starts - some folks would call this an act of faith. Elevating a thought or idea into something to "believe in" is where the break with reality or psychotic behavior begins.

FOR ME, this forum and others provides an insight as to how some subset of humanity thinks about controversial topics and situations. Although I do not "BELIEVE IN" any of these conspiracy theories - I DO acknowledge the possibility and plausibility of many topics here - I even believe quite a bit of what's presented has some basis in fact. But I will not make the investment of mental energy to "believe in", accept and promote any theory. It is sufficient to preserve one's basis in corporeal reality while at the same time considering that there are many facets and positions on topics of the day that don't follow the official story or conventional wisdom on the subject. Admit the possibility. Understand the plausibility. Remain vigilant to the outcome.

ganjoa
edit on 3-5-2011 by ganjoa because: spelleng (sic)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Oh Bull$h!t.

"Conspiracy Theorists" watch the MSM like hawks. (screeeeee...)

"Little internet bubbles"... was that supposed to be science?

Where do these guys conjure up their "facts"? For that matter, where do the networks find these guys? (nvm, rhetorical.)

Hell. They probably don't even believe the crap they are spewing.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Back in the day the navy guys came back fro the Gulf of Tonkin and said the GOT incident never happened
The were labelled "conspiracy theorists"
Well look what happened....
they turned out to be right...um, sane
everyone who said the gulf of Tonkin did happen were and are mentally FUBAR
everyone who believed in this lie was is insane too

Denying reality is part of the definition of INSANITY..
Claimng people are "conspiracy theorists" like the ones above..
and preventing PREVENTING millions of deaths etc
and then of course, there is the ones who knowng lied for gain...
Then people who want others to ignore, or be prevented from, acknowledging reality obviously are insane,
and don't even get me started on those that turn a profit drom convincing people they are insane for persuing the truth
Thats how the SOVIETS did it....the sane remember
PS
also you have the people who warned of 911 like Sybil Edwards...gee if they haddened criminalized her look how many people would be alive today...

NOW you talk about INSANE

edit on 3-5-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2011 by Danbones because: PS

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Good point Danbones: I've read they used to put political disenters into mental institutions and this whole conspiracy theorists are insane concept reminds me of that. How long before they pass thought crime laws !

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I do not need to wait - I'm on such list here in CZ. In fact I was on this list years BEFORE I came to be hardcore leftist/anarchist - originally I was (thanks to MSM and my stupidity) supporter of neo-liberal economy and western imperialism.

Back to the topic:
The working method of any intelligence service/agency is CONSPIRACY. If there is no conspiracy, there is no intel service/agency.
Also business often use conspiracy methods - there is no "secret working formula" without such conspiring - hence we have industrial espionage.
There are many proven conspiracies in history of western world. Very incomplete list can be checked here.

I have some experience, some theoretical knowledge, some mood and some overall situation. I believed many times to official/authority account and then I realized I believed to pure lies. Am I "believer" or "sect member" if I'm questioning what I see/read/perceive? Hell, NO! I'm just trying to be critically thinking and coherent person.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

we have hate laws..that is one form of these INSANITY laws..but i think they have already passed laws...
look what happened to Ernst Zundle..(three years in solitary without Charge?)
at his thought crimes tribunal in Canada he was told by the ex atourney general of CANADA:
"the truth is no defence"

NOW THATS INSANE

ON OCTOBER 28, 2009, President Barack Obama signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act. This law adds sexual orientation and gender identity as protected categories in federally defined hate crimes, allows the Department of Justice to aid in investigations and prosecutions of hate crimes if local authorities request assistance or if they are unable or unwilling to properly investigate and prosecute; and removes certain circumstances as necessary for establishing a hate crime in federal law. The bill passed 68 to 29 in the Senate, 281 to 146 in the House. It was endorsed by a long list of human rights, civil rights, and law-enforcement agencies, and officially opposed only by the conservative religious group Focus on the Family...

...But the law does not have to take account of the attacker’s wishes or beliefs in sentencing—only of the level of violence employed....
...when legal culpability is tied to a perpetrator’s intention and awareness of wrongdoing, the modern interpretation of mens rea recognizes four levels of such awareness: negligent (conduct that does not meet a normative standard); reckless (acting in conscious disregard that conduct is likely to be prohibited); knowing (when a perpetrator knows that the conduct is illegal); and purposeful (when a perpetrator’s actions demonstrate the desire or intention to break the law.) It is these categories—and not the specific content of thought—that shade degrees of legal guilt....

oh and you soldiers and police that would shoot or torture your own
to make the powers that be happy
you are the most effed up of all..
one day sanity will meet YOU

www.dissentmagazine.org...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

After following your links and reading up on this Jonathan Kay guy, it's interesting to see that he is talking out of the corner of his mouth. I've come to the conclusion the he himself, is a conspiracy theroist.

One thing that that jumped out at me was in his bio here-

en.wikipedia.org...

In 2010, Kay argued that conservatives are wrong to continue challenging the majority scientific view on global warming.[21] In response, Financial Post columnist Terence Corcoran, a noted climate-change skeptic, argued that Kay's support of the anthropogenic climate change theory was based on unproven environmentalist dogmas.[

This alone proves that he's into conspiracy theories being an advocate to 'manmade climate change.' He being a coleumist, wouldn't that in itself be proof since he is one of those that provide fodder for us? He's expressing his onesided viewpoints on subjects that he feels can get a rise out of the public, trying to get them to think, to...wait...."Deny Ignorance"?

Come on Mr. Kay, come out of the closet.

My edit-
You know I was just thinking that ATS being the place on the web that it is, I wouldn't doubt one bit that he's reading this with an ear to ear grin.
edit on 3-5-2011 by geo1066 because: see above

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

if you follow this man,and his articles,and blogs..and some of his forum comments over the years....his a zionist supporter..and most of his so called conspiracy day rants..have been in defense of israel and her actions...

so those of us,who know how hardlined these zionist apologists are...know this is a paid propaganda stunt,to dis-credit the truth movement,and those who question authority.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Belief in Conspiracies Linked to Machiavellian Mindset

There is a thread about it

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Believing in every conspiracy theory that comes along is a form of sickness, IMO. So is believing the official story without scrutiny.

I see people jump on the official story with vigor, looking for every single angle, any possibility of a flaw. And that's great. But I've seen these same people gulp down a conspiracy theory with gusto, at the first mention of it. The birther conspiracy is a perfect example. People examined Obama's short form AND long form with fine tooth combs, just begging for something to turn up that they could call "proof" that they were fake. Yet throw an obviously fake Kenyan BC their way and thy eat it up like manna without ONE shred of scrutiny.

That is a form of psychosis.

I don't agree with everything in the article, that's for sure, but we need to be AS critical of both sides of any story and I don't see that often, even here on ATS, where we're supposed to be denying ignorance. People are always looking for the angle that supports their own personal beliefs. I think we should be looking for the truth, even when it doesn't support our views.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join