It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Believing In Conspiracy Theories Is A Form Of Psychosis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Believing In Conspiracy Theories Is A Form Of Psychosis.

here's a video i found from msnBc aired recently talking about a new book out amongthetruthers,which i found disgusting,saying conspiracy theorist are like a religion,we are weird,and we don't watch the mass media,so therefore we live in our own reality,our little self contain internet bubble,and were all living in a cacoon,away from reality,and blaming the internet for making us,act in this way....

so now we will all be labeled as a new religion/cult...if we dare talk out.

The most disturbing symptom of this trend is the 9/11 Truth movement, whose members believe that Bush administration officials engineered the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks as a pretext to launch wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

But these "Truthers" are merely one segment of a vast conspiracist subculture that includes many other groups: anti-Obama extremists who believe their president is actually a foreign-born Manchurian Candidate seeking to destroy the United States from within.

radical alternative-medicine advocates who claim that vaccine makers and mainstream doctors are conspiring to kill large swathes of humanity.

financial neo-populists who have adapted the angry message of their nineteenth-century forebears to the age of Twitter; Holocaust deniers; fluoride phobics; obsessive Islamophobes; and more.

For two years journalist Jonathan Kay immersed himself in this dark subculture, attending conventions of conspiracy theorists, surfing their discussion boards, reading their websites, joining their Facebook groups, and interviewing them in their homes and offices.

He discovered that while many of their theories may seem harmlessly bizarre, their proliferation has done real damage to the sense of shared reality that we rely on as a society.

Kay also offers concrete steps that intelligent, culturally engaged Americans can take to reject conspiracism and help regain control of the intellectual landscape

what your not being told by him though,is he is a pro israel supporter,and is very bias in some of his articles on anyone who talks out about zionist.

a thread touch on this a while ago here,but now it's gone mainstream in promoting this book....as to label all of us,who question what were told,that were are cranks,lost in our own reality,and we all have psychological problems.

Jonathan Kay

the purpose of this thread is to keep you aware we are now being labeled as a fringe group..outcast cult,who have lost leave of our sense's..

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This, in itself, is a conspiracy theory

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Ignoring factual conspiracy theories is a form of ignorance.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I'd say that not asking important questions is a form of psychosis - Also compared to other beliefs such as those commonly found in religions or on the main stream media i'd say it's a lot healthier.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
has done real damage to the sense of shared reality that we rely on as a society

Translation= Messing up the control of the sheep.

This is a good thing!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
By th logic of the person in the video; So is believing in God.

ALS

link   
Blindly believing in what people who have a vested interest in lying to us is just plain idiotic.

What's scary is the younger generation dumbasses who trust people in their government. What happened to questioning authority?

link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

How can any complain about conspiracy theories in a world FULL of LIES.. Its like if you lie then it causes many to seek truth..

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

So thinking for yourself means your a conspiracy theorist?

Grand!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

What is psychotic?
As a psychiatric nurse, we looked at people's functioning. If people could not function in normal society - if they could not take care of their daily needs and hygeine and meet their responsibilities, then we'd consider them psychotic.

There were psychotics that had delusional systems that were well developed that were high functioning, but stress would always cause them to break down.

I don't think it is fair to call people of differing beliefs such a thing as psychotic - it's just fancy name calling using a medical term with a lot of stigma attached - why not just say conspiracy theorists have the cooties?
Playground antics.

It does actual mental patients who struggle daily a great disservice. It discourages creative thinking, nonpartisanship, and intellectual exercise, IMO. Oh, but you know, that might be the problem - there's a facet of our society that believes heavily in the attainability of a societal perfection. Beware of them, there is no perfection - these people that would use government to try to attain something that isn't real - THEY are more dangerous than anyone.

My marriage - it is not perfect. If you think for one second though I'd betray or do anything to harm my mate in some misquided attempt to attain something better though - you're out of your MIND. Why would I do the same with society?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Believing that others believe what they propose or claim not to believe is also a form of Non-psychosis.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
That is silly, but I have seen a few threads of people I believe have probably lost their marbles.

Let's face it crazy people are everywhere. It is just as easy to claim that religiously obsessed people have schizophrenia. Religion obsession is a popular symptom of this and the few people I have encountered with this disease were very obsessed with Jesus.

link   
well the problem is people don't like being labeled,or pigeon holed,so what it is in-fact doing,is subconsciously scaring people away from asking questions,in fear of being label,as one of those conspiracy freaks...

you have to be a good little citizen..and don't ask silly questions,they can't answer,or refuse to answer..
edit on 3-5-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

link   
All of this interaction that he has had with all of us "conspiracy psychotics" and he hasn't realized, speaking for myself, that not only do we take mass media news with a grain of salt but also conspiracy news. I don't believe everything I read, on here or anywhere else, I need definite and solid evidence, if I believed everything then I would obviously know that Japan and California have both sunk, the Earth has ended 3 times in the last 2 years and we have entered the 4th dimension as our solar system has been moved into another region of the universe. It's hard to believe anything anymore, after all, we've all ended up on this website because we something at sometime didn't make sense to us...right?

link   
reply to post by hadriana

Did you even read the OP's title for this thread ?

I was merely defending people's right to believe what they like but feel free to jump to the wrong conclusion if you like, such is your right.
edit on 3-5-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: typo

edit on 3-5-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

True, I don't believe mainstream media all of the time because I want solid proof...I have yet to see any proof of what Jesus actually did, though I'm sure he existed?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Belief in Conspiracies Linked to Machiavellian Mindset

Belief in Conspiracies Linked to Machiavellian Mindset

edit on 3-5-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
hehe,
this talking about changing theories in front of evidence to keep this theories still working really reminds me of Einstein's Theory of relativity and scientific tries to keep it alive....

it's like Christian and Moslem talking about God in front of an Atheist

so... who is right ??? everyone a little ??

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Did you even read the OP's title for this thread ?

I was merely defending people's right to believe what they like but feel free to jump to the wrong conclusion if you like, such is your right.

Yes, of course I did, and my response was to the video.
I'm defending people's right to think as they will myself, without name calling.
Seems we both have the same conclusion so I am not sure of the problem.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
By th logic of the person in the video; So is believing in God.

ALS

Believing in god is worse. Conspiracy theorists at least try to provide evidence (even if often misguided) and justify their belief logically, they do not claim to believe, but to know. Believers in god just have to "believe", and they even consider belief with no evidence itself a virtue, which is a height of self-delusion, because belief without conclusive evidence is a vice.

edit on 3/5/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join