It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper win's majority

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I get your media , read and watched it all . Harper didn't "win" a majority , it was given to him . Had the vote split along historic lines he would have got about 144 seats , a minority and the opposition could have taken him down on a vote of no confidence . Quebec threw the Bloc out and voted NDP and the left wing of the Liberal Party saw the hand writing on the wall and they didn't want to go down in flames with Iggy and the Liberal Party so they jumped ship and voted NDP . The vote splitting gave Harper the majority . Many electoral districts were won or lost on a couple of hundred votes . Critiscize Harper all you want but he simply took what was given to him via the vote splitting . While the NDP gains look impressive , time will tell . The Quebec caucus of the NDP now owns the national NDP party . Not a lot of difference than the Bloc representing one province and that can easily fragment the party when the Quebec caucus asserts itself , which is also great for Harper . Policy , demands and leadership will be determined by the Quebec caucus of the NDP as they now have the numbers and the votes . When the polls started showing huge gains for the NDP the soft conservatives who could have voted Liberal cast their ballots for the Harper Conservatives and further split the vote . The NDP won Quebec while the CPC won the rest of the country via vote splitting .

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Canadianpride420

I know i agree with you; I think the election was rigged; either that or Canadians really are Sheeple the vast majority of them!

I truly Believe that Any other Party was better than the Conservative. Why do we want huge tax breaks for Corporations New billions of Dollars further in to Debt Spent on Fighter Jets and Lower Taxes for the RICH?

The Conservatives Are INSANE

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmac10001
reply to post by ThisIsMyName

pols showed very different up to the very end which means either everyone changed their minds at the end or the ballet like the the states was fixed.....

I guess perhaps being a member of the Bilderberg Group has its benifits, Harper was held in contempt of parliament he didnt say a thing, he agreed to an election, his campaign was almost non existent no reps goin to doors little to none signs almost as if he knew there was no point cause he was goin to win regardless, i do prefer harper over liberals and Jacky boy, but i do not like how he is in the same bed as the states that could pose a problem for Canada down the line.

I can't believe ignorant people like this make a post and get 9 stars. If you look at the results Harper got 39.6% of the popular vote and NDP got 30%. Fail.

Lots of people share this ignorant perspective where only ONE party is the CHOSEN party of the HOLY NATION OF CANADA and the REST SHALL BE BURNED ON THE CROSS. Get a #ing grip on reality people.

Jack Layton: promised to double pensions and get more doctors and nurses, put tax on carbon which essentially is a tax on gas.... how would you really like that? How do you get more doctors and nurses? Money not some wingardium leviosa #.

Harper: Sure he may support corporations and the economy and # but thats what Canada needs is a healthy economy and a balanced budget. After that maybe Layton can do his plans without having to raise taxes on us all. Maybe with a good economy more people will be able to find jobs? Our corporate tax is now the lowest in the world and will create jobs for the economy which will give the people far more money than any tax break for the people will ever do. Anyways with that tax break money they would probably waste it on something stupid anyways and waste the economy again.

Clearly people do not have a #ing clue about politics and the economy yet they make conclusive judgements about # they just simply can't wrap their minds around. They make their judgements purely out of the attack ads which simply add nothing to their knowledge.

edit on 3-5-2011 by ThisIsMyName because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Must be the evening shift.
That would be a good one to work!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
reply to post by gandhi

I agree with you not a single person i know voted for Harper Everyone Voted NDP. Ok So the Elections are Rigged i'm thinking.

Or perhaps, like many people, you don't really know a lot of people with differing political opinions.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
When will people learn that ELECTIONS DO NOT DO CRAP.
They are pretty much there to give you a false sense of self-empowerment.

I knew a programmer that actually worked on the systems that are used in elections, and trust me they are rigged. If I had my way, I would tell everyone to save their gas money and energy on voting lol.

It's obvious that nobody wanted harper in there, yet he somehow "slipped" through.
edit on 3-5-2011 by Conscious because: grammar

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conscious

It's obvious that nobody wanted harper in there, yet he somehow "slipped" through.

How is that 'obvious'? Because no one in your circle of friends likes him?

venture outside your comfort zone and discover many people like him a lot, for better or worse. Not saying i do, just pointing out that there are more opinions in Canada than you and your buddies.

Also, it's not like they made a huge, unprecedented jump. They gained about 20 seats. Not exactly out of nowhere by any measure.
edit on 3-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by Conscious

How is that 'obvious'? Because no one in your circle of friends likes him?

venture outside your comfort zone and discover many people like him a lot, for better or worse. Not saying i do, just pointing out that there are more opinions in Canada than you and your buddies.

Also, it's not like they made a huge, unprecedented jump. They gained about 20 seats. Not exactly out of nowhere by any measure.
edit on 3-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

Believe it or not, none of my friends were ever interested in politics. The majority of ppl I have talked to out of my circle hate harper with a passion. Don't assume, it makes you look stupid.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Conscious

Well, if none of your friends are even interested in politics, then there's your answer. Harper clearly didnt get their vote. And one could argue that them not voting allowed Harper to win. And that doesnt imply that I support any of the alternatives. Just pointing out an obvious example of the sort of factors that gave his party 40% of the vote.

My point stands, and there is no assumption. Just because you only talk with people who don't like Harper doesn't mean no one voted for the guy. I talk to people everyday who support him. Just like I talk to people who support the NDP, Liberals, and Greens. I know no one who supports the Bloc. But I dont live near Quebec.

Your implication was the election was rigged because you dont know anyone who likes Harper. I'm just pointing out that's not exactly evidence of anything other than the limited scope of those you speak with.

The name calling hardly helps an informed discussion.
edit on 4-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: grammar

edit on 4-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The nature of politics is that differing views exist... it does not mean that any one of them is "Right" or "Wrong", you tend toward one or the other, but it is not justified to claim that those who did not vote for the same candidate as you are somehow ignorant or mislead.

That said, the political reality in Canada is that there is one party on the "Right" and the "Center Left" and "Left" are split. In many cases the split vote, for people with similar political views is what gave the Conservative representative a de facto win.

Perhaps a truly democratic system with more popular representation would be preferable to the system in place now... but neither party seems interested in this option.

Popular vote:
Right = 39.62%
Center Left to Left = 59.49%

the Billmeister

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ThisIsMyName

Thank you fort that fountain of reason, unfortunately the "others" will just say we are brainwashed.

As long as we see it clearly there opinions won't matter much to me!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Billmeister

Popular vote:
Right = 39.62%

Yeah, I have yet to understand why the left chooses to split into two factions, basically ensuring a conservative victory

Can anyone explain to me the reason for the NDP and Liberals to not merge?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

because then we would have a two party system. the "left" isn't that left, and the "right" isn't that right either, except for a few pockets of hard core partisans. still, there must be a better way to get fair representation of the public will. 60% of the people didn't vote conservative, and yet there is a conservative majority. a total of less than 7000 votes (in 14 key ridings) decided the final outcome.
i'd like the supreme court to step in, and declare harper ineligible for his criminal past of contempt of parliament.
that would be cool (...justice).

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by Billmeister

Popular vote:
Right = 39.62%

Yeah, I have yet to understand why the left chooses to split into two factions, basically ensuring a conservative victory

Can anyone explain to me the reason for the NDP and Liberals to not merge?

That is the sport called politics.

Remember, these people are fighting for 4-year contracts of $150 000/yr positions, along with the possibility of additional party financing. I truly believe that this trumps any possible ideological convictions that any of them may claim to hold.

the Billmeister

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

because then we would have a two party system.

Canada already has a two-party system in practice.

the "left" isn't that left, and the "right" isn't that right either, except for a few pockets of hard core partisans. still, there must be a better way to get fair representation of the public will. 60% of the people didn't vote conservative, and yet there is a conservative majority. a total of less than 7000 votes (in 14 key ridings) decided the final outcome.

IT just seems to me that the NDP and Liberals have FAR more in common than they have differences, and combining under one banner would be the obvious way to beat the Cons.

Personally, I believe they are 'split' because that is the way those 'ptb' ensure a Conservative 'majority' at 40%

<< 1  2  3   >>

join