It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pray for your enemies i.e. Osama - Jesus said this for a reason

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This post may apply more to Christians but non-Christians feel free to contribute too.

I am not too sure how I feel about Osama's death, but after watching a few minutes of the celebrations on tv in America, Jesus reminded me of one crucial factor, as Christians we need to pray for our enemies.

For those of us on this board who are Christian, believing every word of our book, than you can understand why Jesus says this.

Where Osama is going is going to be literal hell, what he unleashed on earth was hell for humanity, but he is going to be in a living hell for eternity for his actions. Now I don't know what many Christians think of when they picture hell, but can you imagine having to be sent there, a place that is absent of God? Now Jesus himself is really trying to send home how important it is for us to have empathy on those like Osama, because whatever he has done to us, he is going to have done to him ten fold.

This is the way I see it anyway as a Christian.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by australian2011

Mathew 5:1-11
‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely* on my account.

I would say this earth has been in literal Hell for a loooong time. When is it time for Heaven to be on Earth?

Never celebrate murder.
edit on 3-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Isnt it so that Jesus took the punishment For All Sins ? So there is noone going to hell, it is done, Jesus was punished for it all...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I think what it means is to pray for your enemy and not kill them. The men who killed him will go to hell too.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
You pray for your enemies because ultimately you and your enemy are One. Whatever is done to your enemy is done to you.

This is what Jesus meant.

Namaste

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

hallelujah. the beastsystem is doomed. get ready for a summer of discontent. thankfully i wait patiently.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConfusion

You mean, I think this is what Jesus meant.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

If you wanna believe that what it means. Obviously the Bible & Old Testament have been edited to suit those who would use it to gain control. So I believe true messages have been lost in translation, so one must find them again. But anyway, May 1, 2011 and Verse Mathew 5:1-11. Just something neat someone on this site pointed out last nite.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
It`s pretty clear that the american people have learned nothing over the past 9 years. All the civilian casualties... weddings, churches, mosques, schools all bombed in the name of freedom and democracy. I think one guy I saw on a youtube video of a middle east news broadcast said it all: "I don`t want this freedom, this democracy... My wife and child are dead!" But of course we would never see that on the news over here... Imagine if all those weddings, etc that were bombed happened on American soil. And the country doing it said "Hey sorry bout that, we were lookin for Osama." The American people feel a sense of entitlement and if anyone dares to strike us, we won`t be happy till someone dies or preferably a bunch of people. Yeah, the economy is about to collapse, but the news of a dead man will make me grin ear to ear with pride for my country... We should pray for our enemies if we want them to stop doing evil and change their ways. If someone hates you, and wants to kill you, then they need help and you should pray that they receive the help they need so they can be enlightened and realize the futility of violence and then they won`t want to kill you anymore. I`m not saying it`s realistic to expect every enemy you have to become your idea of a great person, but we should hope and pray for this and some people can change in time to have a deep positive impact in this world. In fact, a badguy turned good can be extremelly helpful to the good guys. But you can`t usually make them change by torturing them... Everything we are doing is just making things worse... All of Jesus` teachings just went right out the window.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

This is the way I see it anyway as a Christian.

I felt the same way, I txtd my girlfriend when Obama was giving his speech that I kinda felt sad for UBL, because he was deceived into thinking he was doing God's will and that he's in Hell right now.

I don't wish that on anyone, not even UBL. Christ said mercy is the most noble attribute.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
That's absolutely correct! (Even though as Christian Universalist, I don't believe he'll be in hell forever, because I don't believe anyone is - I believe that everyone will eventually be with God, no matter how long it takes!
However, although the command to pray for our enemies is a very difficult one to obey, it's essential!
Vicky

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Pray? I'm sorry, why not doing something useful for them instead?

I do get that the whole general idea of not treating your enemies like inhuman vermin is a good idea, but I have a problem with the idea taken to its full extent. There is a line for self-defense, and there is no compulsion to love or care about your enemies.

But you should still treat them as human beings.

Edit: Side note, this is my 10,000th post.

And I'd just like to add a quote from Nietzsche (of all people).

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

-Beyond Good and Evil, Friedrich Nietzsche
edit on 3/5/11 by madnessinmysoul because: Little side note and quote.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

If we're all a part of the whole, why shouldn't you treat another part of that whole as a brother?

We all make mistakes, just some are "bigger" then others

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Praying is very useful.
How about you do something useful and get a life.
10,000 post just means that you have way too much time on your hands.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Sometimes a part becomes so corrosive that the whole can only be protected through extreme means. We should still treat each other with a basic level of decency no matter what...until that decency is violated by another member.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

Originally posted by PoopDawg

Praying is very useful.

Citation needed. How is prayer useful? What are its uses? What is its potency? In what amount does it become useful?

A certain guy said that faith less than a mustard seed could move a mountain...yet to see that one happen.

How about you do something useful and get a life.

Wow, a personal attack. Classy. I do happen to have a life. People might actually notice that there are occasional huge gaps in my posting because my life gets in the way of me doing this sort of thing. For you to randomly attack me and actually say that I should get alive is firstly presumptuous for you to talk about someone you don't know and revealing about the strength of your argument.

10,000 post just means that you have way too much time on your hands.

Or it just means that I've been a member of ATS for over 5 years...400 posts a year...just over a post a day. Not

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It doesn't matter who he was and what he did, NO ONE deserves death, because life its too precious and nobody should have enough authority to choose who lives and who dies (this applies to abortions too).
edit on 3/5/2011 by mbartelsm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mbartelsm

Except that Osama was a direct threat to the lives of others. If someone is going to keep killing unless you kill him, what do you do? Sure, you can try to capture someone...but I doubt Bin Laden of all people would go willingly. You don't always get the choice to do the absolutely best thing in the situation. Ideally we'd have Bin Laden behind bars for the rest of his life, but that probably wasn't an option. And trust me, the intel alone would have been worth trying for it.

But anyway, you sort of forfeit your life the second you start putting the lives of others at risk intentionally.

And this is definitely not the thread to discuss abortion. Not the topic.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by mbartelsm

Except that Osama was a direct threat to the lives of others. If someone is going to keep killing unless you kill him, what do you do? Sure, you can try to capture someone...but I doubt Bin Laden of all people would go willingly. You don't always get the choice to do the absolutely best thing in the situation. Ideally we'd have Bin Laden behind bars for the rest of his life, but that probably wasn't an option. And trust me, the intel alone would have been worth trying for it.

But anyway, you sort of forfeit your life the second you start putting the lives of others at risk intentionally.

And this is definitely not the thread to discuss abortion. Not the topic.

Sorry, I was BY NO MEANS justifying what he did, words can't describe how bad I feel for everything he did, but nobody should have power over other people's life, life is just too precious, it is worth more than every other life in the universe yet no life is more important than any other (for you: life is worth more than you can imagine).

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Or it just means that I've been a member of ATS for over 5 years...400 posts a year...just over a post a day. Not

?? Do you actually mean the "not"? 'Cos 5 * 2000 = 10,000 not 5 * 400... More like 6 posts a day yeah? (I don't care it's still not that much.. just sayin').

Anyway pretty sure Jesus was simply referring to the fact that two wrongs don't make a right and that if we meet negativity with negativity we will have only negativity.

Osama is not in hell, he has returned to the source the same way we all will after space and time reclaim our bodies; you christians and your fairy tales, heaven, hell, free will, what next?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join