It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who think's death is a big sleep nothing more?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellify
If it ends in a big sleep, what does it matter? Why worry about it?

You wont know anyway - the key bit for me will be how painless that is!

AM with you - feel pretty relaxed thinking it may just be one long snooze without consciousness

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
What the OP is describing, reminds me of when I had surgery and I was under general anaesthetic. There was no sense of dreaming or even being alive. When I awoke, it didn't feel like any time had passed since I was put out. It was an unsettling feeling! I truly hope this is not how we will spend eternity. How could a person gain any benefit from this experience if they are not conscious enough to understand they even exist. Its a scary thought.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
We could only wish to be so lucky. Having no consciousness, nothing to calculate, no worries...sounds beyond peaceful.

What makes you think we deserve a fate that simple?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

True but at the time of preconception, you may have had awareness but you just don't remember it now.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Just because we don't have scientific proof doesn't mean there is nothing after this life. There are a gazillion things we don't have proof of or even know about at this point in time but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or doesn't happen. We are made of energy and stuck together in bodies made of living cells. But we are more because we have awareness. And so do other animals. But where does 'awareness' reside? If in our brains, where in our brains? It has never been found scientifically but yet we have it.

I've always loved this parable...

The Parable of the Twins

Once upon a time, twin boys were conceived in the same womb.

Weeks passed, and the twins developed. As their awareness grew, they laughed for joy, "Isn't it great that we were conceived? Isn't it great to be alive?"

Together the twins explored their world. When they found their mother's cord that gave them life they sang for joy, "how great is our mother's love that she shares her own life with us."

As the weeks stretched into months the twins noticed how much each was changing.

"What does this mean?", asked the one.

"It means that our stay in this world is drawing to an end", said the other one.

"But I don't want to go", said the one, "I want to stay here always"

"We have no choice", said the other, "but maybe there is life after birth!"

"But how can it be?" responded the one. "We will shed our life cord, and how is life possible without it? Besides, we have seen evidence that others were here before us and none of them have returned to tell us that there is life after birth."

And so the one fell into deep despair saying, "If conception ends with birth, what is the purpose of life in the womb? It's meaningless! Maybe there is no mother at all."

"But there has to be", protested the other. "How else did we get here? How do we remain alive?"

"Have you ever seen our mother?", said the one. "Maybe she lives in our minds. Maybe we made her up because the idea made us feel good."

And so the last days in the womb were filled with deep questioning and fear and finally the moment of birth arrived.

When the twins had passed from their world, they opened their eyes and cried, for what they saw exceeded their fondest dreams.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaveTheWolves

Wow. The Parable of the Twins has my mind blown! haha I've always been terrified of death. A part of me thinks "what if when we die our souls/energy is still in our body so we spend eternity in our minds aware of everything but we can't move our bodies, we are stuck in darkness forever, in a coffin and we go crazy?"
So I always comfort myself by either just ignoring it all together or thinking maybe we get reincarnated. But then I think, what's the point of being reincarnated if you don't remember it all? Seeing that some of you believe that it's nothing more than like a sleep... well with what I just said, I hope so! If there's no heaven, I really hope so! Then of course the other side of me is saying "Ok, but when we die there is no brain activity in us. When we sleep there IS. so that can't be it." Unless you are referring to as the soul is "sleeping". But what's the point of that?

As you can probably tell, I am not a religious person. I have hopes. I believe we do have a higher power/the light/God whatever he/she/it may be. But I am not in the least bit religious. So The Parable of the Twins has me thinking. Just because I can't see what happens exactly after death doesn't mean something does happen! Still scares me though, haha.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweet29
What the OP is describing, reminds me of when I had surgery and I was under general anaesthetic. There was no sense of dreaming or even being alive. When I awoke, it didn't feel like any time had passed since I was put out. It was an unsettling feeling! I truly hope this is not how we will spend eternity. How could a person gain any benefit from this experience if they are not conscious enough to understand they even exist. Its a scary thought.

I had a surgery experience like that. and that's what I think death will be; you 'fall asleep' then awaken for the next world ('we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed...')
as per my Christian beliefs, death does not worry me (admittedly I'm in no hurry to experience it!)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Mmmmmmmm you fall asleep and then wake...but if you died when asleep you would never know...as when asleep you are not awake. Pretty peaceful way to go!

Strange way it works.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Death is a big rebirth. Free of the bloody flesh thing we live in. Spend some time researching NDE's on this site. Most of them have a knowing and have no fear of the so called "Death".

I've had my near NDE. It (life after life) exists from my perspective.
edit on 28-5-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

Each to their own..........Life stops when you die - no life, no story, no fairy tale, no light... Its shut down, the same as you sleep - you know no better (But some believe?) Some do not

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
This is paranormal studies...so the question is what i need answered.

How many people on ats think death is nothingness.

Basically like when you go to sleep and dont dream....But you dont care if your dead or alive..
pitch black nothingness for eternity cause you never wake up...

So how many think this way?
or is it just me?
If so wouldn't it be better to die in your sleep?
Therefore you don;t know you died.

Oh and if you agree do you have trouble going sleeping at night for fear of the darkness now?

edit on 2-5-2011 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

"..pitch black nothingness for eternity cause you never wake up.." yes...I think this happens...but only to people who live eternally in hell.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
Death is a big rebirth. Free of the bloody flesh thing we live in. Spend some time researching NDE's on this site. Most of them have a knowing and have no fear of the so called "Death".

I believe we go on as well, why I believe this I don't really know. Preconditioned perhaps?

Have you written about your NDE? I would love to hear about it. I have read a couple interesting books on NDE. Into the Light I believe was one of the names.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45

my death experience proved that there is something if anything. the moment my heart stopped in surgery I left my body and swirled into the ceiling. I remember it was freezing if I had to give it a feeling. the moment I swirled into the ceiling I woke up the next day in a different hospital with that memory, but how could that be if I had already died?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I sometimes think that when we die there is nothingness, no feeling, no thinking, etc, but when I see evidence of ghosts, I start to question my beliefs. I know that some "Ghost hunters" make things up and hoax for the TV shows but, are all of them making up the stuff? I don't think so.
I don't know about you guys but I have this desire or drive to learn everything that I can about everything before I die and to achieve some type of inner peace and control as well. It is like I am getting prepared for the next level of life even though I don't believe there is one.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

Yes, I've contributed my story; as simple as it was. Just query near death experiences here. There is a plethora of personal accounts to read.

Another great place to research this phenomenon is at iands.org... Lot's of great personal experiences.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Thank you very much, I'll check it out.
Ooops link went to 404 land.

Wow that site looks great

edit on 5/28/2011 by BLKMJK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Your question can only be answered by belief not fact.
The only evidence I am aware of is a study done in 1906 proving that the soul / spirit does exisits.
After death the soul / spirit moves on to a different plane, level or dimention, where the rules are different and where communication with the living is either not possible or very limited. If it was possible to communicate with the dead we would already have all the answers.Just because we can't prove there isn't life after death does not prove it's not
possible. We won't know if it is nonexistence if it is, because we won't exist to know.
I choose to believe there is life after death, and in this world there is enough to worry about besides what real happens after death.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Wow, I truly do admire your strength Brian.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

We are all free to believe what we want. Not here to convince anyone. Anyways, coming from your point of view, a big slumber after life actually does not sound so bad. However, we and everything in the cosmos are made of light. An actual fact.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
near death experiences are caused from a lack of oxygen to your brain, therefore getting you high. it's a hallucination, your own mind trying to picture yourself.

i believe that nothing happens to you after death, no blackness, no colors, no visiting your family like a ghost, no reincarnation, no sleeping. your mind ceases to exist and you stop thinking. maybe your mind keeps hallucinating after you die as your brain looses oxygen.
edit on 28-5-2011 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join