It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Hits Aucklands Northshore, New Zealand... one dead.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
TV3.co.nz

The roof of Albany Mega Centre has collapsed and people have been evacuated from the building. A witness described to 3 News having seen a body – believed to be dead – in the carpark of the shopping mall, outside Place Makers.

Just saw this on the news this afternoon.

Looks like a proper Tornado touched down in the middle of a shopping complex in Albany on Aucklands North Shore. Killing at least 1 and throwing cars about, and collapsing roofs.

Being someone who used to live and grew up on the North Shore and who visited Albany regularly this is kinda scarey, its happened once or twice in the last few decades but they where nothing but little twisters that ripped roofing iron and chimneys down in localized small areas.

They are also reporting other tornados coming in from Point Chevalier and Avondale supposedly... hopefully no one else has been killed by this as the Albany mega center would have had alot of people in it given its after 3pm, ie home from school time.

Freakish weather we've been having...
we had a mini Tornado hit my town in the Waikato only a week ago. Mother nature appears to be ramping it up all over the world...

Edit:- Link to the same topic over in the Breaking Alernative News Form

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2-5-2011 by BigfootNZ because: edit

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Geez, that's horrible
I really hope he's the only fatality/injury. Tornadoes have always fascinated me, but after hearing about that horror 24hours in the US, they terrify me a little more now. Hopefully that's the last of it for now in beautiful NZ!

Here's a link for you from our local paper in Brisbane.
One killed in New Zealand Tornado

edit on 2/5/2011 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Thanks, yeah as mentioned in the alternative Breaking News thread, this sort of things is pretty rare for us down here, especially in a crowded city like Auckland. The weather is changing everywhere it seems and not for the better. Not sure how people in places like Tornado alley in the states put up with it every year. Especially when you see how the environmental changes are effecting it all, such as with the recent and on going mega storms they are having.

That being said, New Zealand weather can changed rapidly within a few minutes so the conditions that start a tornado could happen easily enough. Guess we've been lucky up until recently.

In the face of nature we truly are powerless... just gotta hang on and hope to make it out the other side I guess.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

the link i added above now says two are confirmed dead

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
We don't have basements here either and most of the houses are made of wood which is better in earthquakes - yes this is frightening - without basements where do you hide.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
They said on the TV that the Tornado headed to and pettered out near Pt.Chev.
My brother lives there, been trying to get hold of him, only has a cell phone, no answer, hopefully its just the cell phone towers out

Rare for Auckland (I grew up there) but we have had two pretty big Waterpouts come over our house in the 16 years we have lived in Kapiti, lost a few roof tiles in one.
Taranaki gets a few tornados too.
edit on 3-5-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

In the smallest room in the house ........... the toilet

Safest place in an earthquake too BTW

top topics

join