learn more

Conservative Majority in Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
from CBC

Canadians have handed Prime Minister Stephen Harper his first-ever majority government, in a historic result that also saw the mighty Liberals decimated and the separatist movement in Quebec all but obliterated. In a stunning result, NDP Leader Jack Layton made history by becoming the first-ever NDP leader to move into Stornaway as the official Opposition leader. While Layton and his party were cruising to a historic win, the Liberals and the Bloc were heading for crushing defeats.

Much of the NDP's rise has been attributed to a burst of support in Quebec, where Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe was forced to do heavy battle in his home Montreal riding and across the province. Just after 10:30 p.m. ET, these were the results for elected or leading ridings:

* Conservatives: 156 ridings * NDP: 105 ridings * Liberals: 33 * Bloc Quebecois: 3

An interesting result I did not expect, a Conservative Majority. Which makes me question a lot of things about this most recent of ridiculously often elections. Is this why Canada has had 4 elections in 6 years? Were they trying to manufacture a Conservative Majority?

I have to say, a lot about the recent, unpredictable rise in the NDP seems fishy. What caused it? Why the apparent switch for so many from Liberal to NDP? IT seems like the last two Liberal leaders (Dion and Ignatief) were almost chosen to lose. Dion came across as a weenie, and Ignatief sounds like an arse.

All of this is presupposing that the Conservative Party will now push forward with a very pro-big business agenda that will continue to speed up the process of making Canada more of a corporate utopia along the lines of the US.

At the same time, though, a Conservative Majority may mean a swing of the pendulum back to the left for Canada in a few years, as the Conservatives with baby Bush in charge have been calling the shots since 2000

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This is some seriously bad news. The word coming down the grapevine is that Harper plans to help the states create a North American Union consisting of Canada, USA and Mexico. Any "aware" (aka- non-sheeple) Canadian worth his salt should also be able to see why this is a bad thing. The states are going under soon (China puts it at 2016, i think earlier) and when they do, they want Canada to go along for the ride(as our economy is almost as fragile as theirs is and don't get me started on Mexico). What does this mean? It means when the prison doors swing shut we'll be pretty much f***ed too.
edit on 2-5-2011 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Yeah I just don't understand what's in their minds, I voted NPD.
It seems the west Canadians prefer the USA was of doing things, well they can join the NAU all they want they won't ever get Quebec.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

I personally dont put much stock in the more outrageous "NAU" theories. It's an economic model. We aren't going to all get gated in, there is no superhighway, etc. ITts just rather benign policy stuff. The outragious claims are designed to keep people from noticing the REAL aspects of 'deep integration'.

I DO think Harper will likely continue what he has done for the past 11 years (!), which is continue to integrate Canadian financial/security/social policies with the US. And what I am suggesting is this entire 'election' (and the past few) have been set up to engender just that.

You really think the NDP and especially the Liberal party arent part of the facade?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
original thread is here.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

You were probably writing as I was posting my thread.. can use this link for collaboration
edit on 2-5-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

Trust me, no 'holier than thou' from me. Easy big shooter

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
Any "aware" (aka- non-sheeple) Canadian worth his salt should also be able to see why this is a bad thing.

I agree, but the sheeple all lined up and voted for the jerk, we are in BIG trouble now......

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
original thread is here.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please use the search function

Original Thread, LOL. You posted yours two minutes before this one. Clearly I spent about ten minutes putting mine together, so a 'search' would have done nothing.

But thanks for the sanctimonious tone!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jubes

You sir, hit the nail on the head. It seems, sadly enough that the Americans that we Canadians seem to like poking fun at so much are so much more aware than we are for the most part. I mean, ya there are alot of sheep in both countries but I think up here the sheep outnumber us a million to one almost. It really feels that way sometimes. Really quite depressing now that I think about it.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
personally i think if our canadian government wants to join the us there is nothing we can do about it.
we are screwed either way. they will make something happen in order to get what they want

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I know for a fact that every political talking head we have in this country is, more or less, banking on the same motive. You are right in that respect. However, the NAU is pretty much the last step after they have consolidated the stray herds in the middle east (["Operation Asian Spring"] hence creating something of an Asian Union). What happens next u ask? The unions become unified. Read that last part slowly. That, in a nutshell, means that, like I said, the proverbial (u took it too literally I think) the prison doors are comin in. This does not mean slavery in the distinct sense. The way these people operate is so much more subtle than that. You should know that by now.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by demontigny

See, that's where you're wrong. The best kept secret of the 21st century is that we do have the power. But we are led to believe that we can do nothing, and so we do nothing. And nothing changes. The time is now buddy. Time to get ur war face on.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

What happens next u ask? The unions become unified. Read that last part slowly. That, in a nutshell, means that, like I said, the proverbial (u took it too literally I think) the prison doors are comin in. This does not mean slavery in the distinct sense. The way these people operate is so much more subtle than that. You should know that by now.

So, unity is bad word now?

I appreciate your vague, broad concern for fictional superhighways and updated immigration policy, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts that related to anything I posted in the OP about the specific mechanisms that seem to be at play here.

This is not another of the millions of "NAU" threads. It's about analyzing the possible scenarios that just created Harpers first majority government after 11(!) ears in power.

Was Ignatief installed as Liberal leader to make the Liberals lose as bad as they did?

What will the demise of the Boc mean for Quebec? What will the Bloc look like post-ducepp?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by demontigny
personally i think if our canadian government wants to join the us there is nothing we can do about it.
we are screwed either way. they will make something happen in order to get what they want

Thanks.

Can you elaborate upon that thought a bit? What do you mean by "joins the US", specifically? In what specific ways do you see Harper moving Canada to be more like America? Will universal health care be repealed? Will you begin spending as much on the military as the US? Harper's gonna need t speak better and get a dark tan to be more like Obama.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Jubes

You sir,

*cough* Ma'am *cough*

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
National Post

The damage to the Liberals and Bloc was so severe that even leaders Michael Ignatieff and Gilles Duceppe were on track to lose their seats in Ontario and Quebec. Mr. Duceppe, in fact, immediately announced his resignation as leader of the sovereigntist party, declaring in his concession speech: “I am leaving, but others will follow, until Quebec becomes a party.”

With all 308 ridings reporting as of 11:50 p.m. EST, the Tories were leading or had won 165 seats — well past the 154 needed for a majority — and the NDP were leading or had won 104 ridings — nearly tripling the 36 seats it gleaned in 2008. A decimated Liberal Party was on track to win just 35 seats, and the Bloc Quebecois were poised to glean just three.

Green Party leader Elizabeth May was on track to make a historic gain by capturing her party’s first elected seat, set to knock out Tory incumbent Gary Lunn in the B.C. riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands.

It looks to me like the New Democrats nearly tripled their seats in the Canadian Parliament. The Conservatives have however won more than 50% of the seats and are set to become the majority party in government. Bloc Quebecois was absolutely destroyed in this election, leaving only 3 seats in their hands. Liberal Party which had for awhile been the strongest party in Canada only being put into opposition by the Conservatives were wiped out as well, managing to gain only 35 seats.

There is much debate about Canada's sovereignty now being threatened with a Harper majority, the fear of the North American Union being in its final stages to morph Canada into the United States. I find it completely ridiculous and exaggerated, of course I oppose "deep integration" between our two countries but this is not the abolition of either Canadian or American sovereignty.

Seats Before Election:

Conservative - 143
New Democrat - 36
Liberal - 77
Bloc Quebecois - 47
Green - 0

Seats So Far:

Conservative - 165
New Democrat - 104
Liberal - 35
Bloc Quebecois - 3
Green - 1

That represents a change of:

Conservative (+22)
New Democrat (+68)
Liberal (-42)
Bloc Quebecois (-44)
Green (+1)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Great, on-topic post. Thanks for that.

I'm curious on other folks thoughts in regards to the loss for the Bloc. I know little about Bloc politics. What does this mean for Quebec? Why did so many Bloccers apparently vote NDP?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
So, unity is bad word now?

I appreciate your vague, broad concern for fictional superhighways and updated immigration policy, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts that related to anything I posted in the OP about the specific mechanisms that seem to be at play here.

This is not another of the millions of "NAU" threads. It's about analyzing the possible scenarios that just created Harpers first majority government after 11(!) ears in power.

Was Ignatief installed as Liberal leader to make the Liberals lose as bad as they did?

What will the demise of the Boc mean for Quebec? What will the Bloc look like post-ducepp?

Where in any of my posts have I said that unity is a bad thing. The real issue which u seem to have turned the blinders on to, is that once these unified "assets" band together, there will be no real need for the charade of democracy anymore. P.S. The voting system is rigged anyways so what makes you think that it counts for #e?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

This is the problem. I mention one thing that LEADS to the big crunchdown and everyone else starts talking about it as if it's the only problem. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Election 2011 Live Results

Canada:

CON..... 40% - 166
NDP..... 31% - 103
LIB....... 19% - 34
BQ....... 06% - 4
GRN..... 04% - 1

Alberta:

CON..... 67% - 27
NDP..... 17% - 1

British Columbia:

CON..... 46% - 21
NDP..... 33% - 12
LIB....... 13% - 2
GRN..... 8% - 1

Manitoba:

CON..... 53% - 11
NDP..... 26% - 2
LIB....... 17% - 1

Newfoundland and Labrador:

LIB....... 38% - 4
NDP..... 33% - 2
CON..... 28% - 1

New Brunswick:

CON..... 44% - 8
NDP..... 30% - 1
LIB....... 23% - 1

Northwest Territories:

NDP..... 46% - 1

Nova Scotia:

CON..... 37% - 4
NDP..... 30% - 3
LIB....... 29% - 4

Nunavut:

CON..... 50% - 1

Ontario:

CON..... 44% - 72
NDP..... 26% - 22
LIB....... 25% - 12

Prince Edward Island:

LIB....... 41% - 3
CON..... 41% - 1

Quebec:

NDP..... 43% - 58
BQ....... 23% - 4
CON..... 17% - 6
LIB....... 14% - 7

Saskatchewan:

CON..... 56% - 13
LIB....... 9% - 1

Yukon:

CON..... 34% - 1

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

Dont forget to call anyone who disagrees with you a sheeple.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution