It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Barack Obama Blunderings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Drill baby drill, i swear during the BP oil spill Repubs sat around there telivision sets wacking off. The price of gas is going up do to our "free market" speculators. If Obama ordered a million wells drilled tommorow it would still take 3 years atleast before a single one was online. So get used to the high prices, besides some walking might do some of you fatties some good.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Call me what you want, but I am a realist. There are answers for our oil prices and if everyone sits back and deals with it, nothing will ever change!! We will go bankrupt trying to get to work and back...

There are answers. I agree. It has to do with investing in alternatives to oil, and reconfiguring our supply and energy grid to not be so petroleum dependent.

But claiming that the government has the authority to interfere in gas prices seems a bit extreme. I am certainly not comfortable with the government being given more to control to directly dictate the market price on a talk of gas. Taxes could be repealed, but those taxes pay for thing e all need, like maintenance of the roads. Yes, more drilling can occur. But we seen, with incidents like the recent BP gusher, that it's difficult to reverse the damage done. In addition, I don't really see the intelligence in the long-term for the US, as a nation, to tap all their reserves now, only guaranteeing higher prices in the future. We lower the price of gas a small amount or ourselves for a few years, but then our kids pay more later?

Yeah, gas prices are getting high. It effects everything. Maybe there should be a Federal law that says gas cant go past 3 bucks a gallon. Maybe two bucks. But I tend to think that might rub a lot of (little r) republicans the wrongs way.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
It costs the U.S. tons of money to ship oil over seas to get it back to the U.S. and then storage and wages, and without showing the Trillions of barrels of oil in the U.S. the supply is shown shorter than what it actually is. Think about this though for a second, why drill in the U.S. to save Americans money?? They are profiting trillions of dollars a year from this and leaving our private supply alone.

There are answers for these prices and we need SOMEONE to step up and take control.

You seem to know absolutely nothing about OPEC and how the Oil market works. As someone said, a million new drillings tomorrow will not help and we cannot just sell ourselves our own oil at our own prices or we already would be.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Drill baby drill, i swear during the BP oil spill Repubs sat around there telivision sets wacking off. The price of gas is going up do to our "free market" speculators. If Obama ordered a million wells drilled tommorow it would still take 3 years atleast before a single one was online. So get used to the high prices, besides some walking might do some of you fatties some good.

thats funny Obama is making gas prices go up, because we are not allowed to drill Oil.... can our country wait forever on green jobs to jump start the economy ? No.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
thats funny Obama is making gas prices go up, because we are not allowed to drill Oil.... can our country wait forever on green jobs to jump start the economy ? No.

Sigh.

High Oil Prices Caused by Wall St, Not OPEC

Anytime someone can explain how more drilling would ACTUALLY help, not how you think it would help, would be amazing.

Saudi Arabia announced it will raise oil production next month by 500,000 barrels a day, as an attempt to halt rising oil prices. However, even King Abdullah himself is concerned that increased supply will not keep oil prices from rising to as much as $200 a barrel by next year. (Source: IHT, Saudis plan to raise oil oiutput , June 14, 2008)

The reason is because high oil prices are being caused by futures traders on Wall Street and other financial markets throughout the world, not by the old-fashioned laws of supply and demand. While oil prices have soared to $130 per barrel, global oil consumption decreased from 87 million barrels per day (bpd) in Q4 2007 to 86 million bpd as of Q2 2008. During this same time period, supply has increased from 85.49 to 86.17 million bpd. According to the laws of supply and demand, prices should have decreased.

link

Seriously, I am more than willing to be educated on this but everyone from MSNBC to FOX, from HUFFPO to WND agrees that supply has nothing to do with current prices. I have seen plenty of economists talk about it and the only people that think more drilling will help seem to be ATS posters.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog

That was the arguement during the Bush Administration.

If they started drilling then there would be oil being pumped right now. Regardless of how high or low the cost of gas is, we have to start relying on ourselves for oil. Does that mean we should start drilling in every place where oil is? No, but we should tap into some of the oil deposits. That way when we do start pumping more oil we can ween ourselves off buying oil from foreign countries. That would save the US a lot of money, reducing our debt a little and at the same time we can still look for viable, cheap alternatives that everyone can afford to switch to.

Its not just the "fatties" as you call them that are up in arms about high gas prices. There are many poor people who cannot afford the gas to drive to work. They can't run out and by a hybrid like some of us can.

Now is Obama to blame? He is to blame about as much as Bush was to blame when gas prices was at 5 dollars a gallon. Which is to say, it depends if you are a Republican or Democrat.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

How about this, drilling oil in our own country well lesson are dependence on other countries oil... Why pay for another countries Oil?... by drilling more oil, we will bring down the price of oil, which will bring down the price of gasoline. this will in turn help good's and services... The less money that a company needs to spend on gas, the less a product will be, the lower the product price the better. Then more units will be moved, and the more employee's well be needed to create goods and service. i mean come on, is it that hard to grasp why drilling more oil is a good thing, this is basic economics..

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

How about this, drilling oil in our own country well lesson are dependence on other countries oil... Why pay for another countries Oil?...

No, it will not. Do you know anything about OPEC and the oil market?

by drilling more oil, we will bring down the price of oil, which will bring down the price of gasoline.

I did not ask you to say it again. I asked you to make it make sense to me. We have more than enough supply now. More oil will lower the price how?

this will in turn help good's and services... The less money that a company needs to spend on gas, the less a product will be, the lower the product price the better. Then more units will be moved, and the more employee's well be needed to create goods and service. i mean come on, is it that hard to grasp why drilling more oil is a good thing, this is basic economics..

Actually it is. If you would pay attention, PLEASE. SUPPLY IS NOT DRIVING THE PRICE. AMERICA CANNOT DRILL FOR OIL AND SELL IT TO ITSELF AT A LOWER PRICE.

I am not sure what you are missing here. Please read the linked article above.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
Does that mean we should start drilling in every place where oil is? No, but we should tap into some of the oil deposits.

Are you under the impression we dont harvest our oil reserves? It's an honest question. I'm amazed at how little people know about how much oil the US ALREADY produces.

Because we do. The US gets about 20 percent of their oil from within their borders. About 40 percent when you add in Mexico and Canada.

The US is the world's third largest oil crude producer in the world.

The notion that we 'aren't tapping our reserves is just wrong.

Sources:

udell.dabbledb.com...#

www.eia.doe.gov...

auto.howstuffworks.com...

That way when we do start pumping more oil we can ween ourselves off buying oil from foreign countries

The US could never supply all their own petrol. Our demand is too high.

Now is Obama to blame? He is to blame about as much as Bush was to blame when gas prices was at 5 dollars a gallon. Which is to say, it depends if you are a Republican or Democrat.

Neither of them are directly to blame. I got called an evil Republican when I pointed it out durring the Bush years and now I get called an Obamabot for pointing it out.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

How about this, drilling oil in our own country well lesson are dependence on other countries oil... Why pay for another countries Oil?... by drilling more oil, we will bring down the price of oil, which will bring down the price of gasoline. this will in turn help good's and services... The less money that a company needs to spend on gas, the less a product will be, the lower the product price the better. Then more units will be moved, and the more employee's well be needed to create goods and service. i mean come on, is it that hard to grasp why drilling more oil is a good thing, this is basic economics..

We already ARE drilling. There is no concerted effort to keep any significant amount of crude from being harvested. The premise that the US 'isnt drilling' is a false one.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I'm not under any delusion that we don't drill for oil. Most of it doesn't get to the consumer though. I should have been a little bit clearer on that. Thanks for the graphs though. When I said drill for oil here, I meant drill for oil for the US consumer only. None of it gets put in the reserves, none of it gets shipped to other nations and none of it gets used by the government.

The US consumer would get every drop. That will never happen with the oil we are currently producing. Will it lower gas prices? Maybe, maybe not, but our foreign dependency for oil will be greatly demenished. Which I'm sure everyone can agree would be a good thing.

edit on 3-5-2011 by Becoming because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

The only thing that will reduce our dependency on foreign oil is to invest in alternatives and restructuring our infrastructure to be more effective.

We use far too much oil to be entirely self-sufficient.

Although I agree the military uses a lot of it. I dont see that changing any time soon, under any sort of administration from either side.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

That is why I included finding cheap, viable alternatives to oil at the same time that we drill more for consumer use only as a way to lessen our dependency on foreign sources.

Right now telling people to buy new hybrid cars is ok for those who can afford them. There are some people who will never be able to afford a hybrid. Thats just a sad fact and the way the economy and gas prices are now, even less people will be able to afford it.

I can't wait until oil is obsolete, but we can't make it obsolete just by saying it is. We have to make it so Mr. Sulu.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming

That is why I included finding cheap, viable alternatives to oil at the same time that we drill more for consumer use only as a way to lessen our dependency on foreign sources.

But, AGAIN, this notion that there are vast untapped reserves we just arent drilling is not accurate. Therefore, your premise that all we need to do is drill more is entirely false. I've made this point quite clear, with several examples over the last page or so. "Environmentalists' are not preventing it to any measurable degree. Neither are politicians.

We are tapping the hell out of our reserves, and the amount of oil wells in the us has STEADILY GROWN over the past 3 decades, and yet oil prices still rise. Which pretty much blows your 'drill more and bring prices down' theory out of the water.

Right now telling people to buy new hybrid cars is ok for those who can afford them. There are some people who will never be able to afford a hybrid. Thats just a sad fact and the way the economy and gas prices are now, even less people will be able to afford it.

I never said anything about hybrid cars. Not sure why you keep bringing that up. There are FAR more 'alternatives' than hybrid cars, and I'm not talking about solar or wind. I'm talking about restructuring the way we consume energy.

Americans desperately want to believe it is their god given right to get gas for a buck a gallon, and will flail about with all kinds of wacky theories about how 'they' are being prevented from said right, but it doesn't mean any of those flailings are based in reality.

Americans basically have two choices: start using less oil or get used to higher prices.

edit on 3-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join