It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bin Laden is dead - fine I want my civil rights back

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hello all, don't be too hard on me as this is my first thread so would appreciate it if you all chime in and have your say.

Personally I've been pretty unhappy at the way that civil rights has been eroded since 9/11. I understand that some of it might be necessary, but I also understand that governments will use any methods and excuses in order to tighten control over their citizens.

Now however, with the prospect of some troops beginning to return from Afganistan and other countries its time to call on our governments to restore the civil and human rights that have been taken from us.

Its time to stop the invasive searches made at airports. Its time to reconsider legislation concerning holding people without trial. Its time to restore right to trial by jury. Its time to take another look at our right to not be snooped upon by government. Its time to close Guantanemo, release the innocent and sentence the guilty.
I understand that this is just the beginning of the end, but governments will not surrender the kind of power we have given them easily and its time to let them know what we expect.

One last thing - Those who defend the current situation saying that just because Bin Laden has gone away that doesn't mean that Al-Qaida has, need to consider a little deeper. The Arab Spring in North Africa and the Middle East has been a game changer, it is Arab governments that are currently the focus of hatred by both ordinary people and terrorist extremists. The death of Bin Laden only weakens Al-Qaida even further. Some clever softly softly policy in Arab states by the US could really put Al-Qaida on its knees.

Mods could you please move this to a more relevant section (if you think there is one), I cant find any place on the page where I have control where to put it - thanks
edit on 2-5-2011 by freethinker123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2011 by freethinker123 because: message to mods

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
What?

You mean you don't want to be fondled or x-ray'd by TSA anymore?

But...it's free!

Yeah, it would be nice if the freedom/security paradigm would shift back toward freedom, but I just don't see it happening. Not because they COULDN'T, but because they have no reason to.

Hmm...maybe there's a way to give them a reason?

ETA: No, we no longer have rights. See this post and watch the video. Cops in FULL-RIOT GEAR, SOUND WEAPONS, TEAR GAS against COLLEGE STUDENTS!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2-5-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: Our rights are GONE!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I second that.

Too bad we ain't got a chance in hell of getting any of them back.
More likely, we will see another false flag and more basic human rights taken.

Because they own us. - for the time being

edit on 2-5-2011 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2011 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

Good stuff. I'm behind you 100%. I need my phones untapped. lol

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This was my first thought also!
Repeal the Patriot act!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Star and Flag.

Instead of giving one of my normal rants about Constitutional Rights Violations, DHS, TSA, or FEMA, I'll let two others speak for me:

"Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin

"All I gotta say is that they don't really care about us."
- Michael Jackson, "They Don't Really Cate About Us"

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Unfortunately laws are like taxes, once implemented there is never a reversal. They only pile on more.

And as usual, people will complain, whine and bicker. Then it's back to American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and 2 for 1 McD burgers.

Sorry to sound so depressing but after the theatrics yesterday, I have lost any hope of things getting better.

I can still hope I'm wrong tho.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Very well thought out and wrote. The time is now. The longer people wait to speak up and allow this method of policy to continue the stronger it will grow. This is but a stepping stone and it is not a game changer, the real game changer is when the people stand up and say enough is enough. Our involvement in ME issues must stop, unless we are willing to police the entire world from a international body including Arabs, Jews, Asians, Africans, Europeans, Americans... Third world and "First world" nations alike. Otherwise, if they choose to bomb and murder each other then so be it, they will learn the hard way. But the longer we act alone, or solely with "developed nations" only, we are only setting the stage for another world war. That is something that is hard to debate imo.

S&F

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

You mean you don't want to be fondled or x-ray'd by TSA anymore? But...it's free!

No, it's not free; you as the taxpayer are paying for this gross invasion of privacy.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

That made me laugh, I guess if I just close my eyes it can be whoever I want it to be

But seriously, I think that the first thing we can do is to try to get people talking about civil rights. Of course the governing parties won't want to play ball, but if there are enough people talking about it politicians will believe there are votes to be won. That would be a start.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123

One last thing - Those who defend the current situation saying that just because Bin Laden has gone away that doesn't mean that Al-Qaida has, need to consider a little deeper. The Arab Spring in North Africa and the Middle East has been a game changer, it is Arab governments that are currently the focus of hatred by both ordinary people and terrorist extremists. The death of Bin Laden only weakens Al-Qaida even further. Some clever softly softly policy in Arab states by the US could really put Al-Qaida on its knees.

"Clever softly softly policy." Mmmm... Yeah, but, naaah. Not really the way we do things. Sorry. But thanks for playing....

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Yep, the War on Terror is now over, right? I said the same thing to my wife last night, give us back our liberties. Repeal the Patriot Act. Bring the Troops home and stop spending all that cash on policing the world.

Unfortunately, it won't happen... they've already started beating the drums that it's going to get worse, heard it on the news leading up to the "world changing announcement" and everyone will lap it up, people like their chains and being told what to do.

Might I recommend that you all call your State and Federal representatives to demand that the Patriot Act is repealed and that the troops are brought home.

Federal Contacts

State Contacts

Please call and write, if you only do one, call, it makes more of an impact (allegedly
)
edit on 5/2/2011 by Finalized because: grammar

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

You say that and yeah you are right in Libya, but US handling (hands off approach) of Egypt and Tunisia was welcomed in many parts of the Arab world, even if some liberals in those countries were unhappy.

Oh and thanks for the intelligent and witty replies above - really impressed, giving me a lot of faith in the ATS crowd. Lets talk about this issue to our friends and families. Sort of 'time to stand down and get back to normal'.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
News reports are saying airport security measures won't change. If anything they will add heightened security checks... scanners in every airport? Maybe.
Military bases are set to alert Bravo, which they say, may or may not change. That's only a small reflection of what is going on.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
It is about time they admit that the level of threat is considerably lower than what they say it is. Although T.S.A. is the closest Iv'e got to gettin laid in a few months.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Good to see people still have a sense of humour there.. But bit of bad news...
Your leaders have no intention of giving your rights back... The clampdown and t(errorist) s(tate) a(gency) groping will continue there... Your fooked...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Hi there,

I have a feeling that now you/we will lose more civil rights than before.Because with Bin Laden dead,the bad terrorists will try to take revenge and plan new attacks,which means more security at the airports,more phone bugs,less privacy for us.

Wanna bet that things will get worse in the next months?Especially if an attack take place anywhere in the world.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Yes, this is what we are being told on the news networks and there is some logic to the idea that they will want to strike back to show they are still a force to be reckoned with. However, for the reasons I outlined I think that they will find that they lack the logistical support to organise a succesful attack.

Thats just my feeling anyway...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Time for the American government to stage another 9/11 then !

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123
...they will want to strike back to show they are still a force to be reckoned with.

I get so confused with who "they" are... is it the "they" that attacked us or the "they" that we are supporting in Libya?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join