It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Arrests, Tear Gas, Sound Weapons used Against West Illinois University Students

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

If we want to get technical, a "riot" can technically be the assembly of 3 or more people who behave in an unlawful manner. My question is what is the video not showing? While I respect independant media, sometimes they dont always give the complete side of the story, slanting the story again government action, where as people accuse the MSM of pushing the governments position.

There is more to the story that is not being told here..

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
OMG They were being attacked! This is inexcusable police brutality! We need to shut them DOWN!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Need to consolidate these two thread for more complete discussion...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You may be right & it's possible that more video will come out later that supports the police action.
Without further evidence though & just based on the history of the party, the stories from the students, the police actions & setups and the video I've seen it all looks pretty bad for the law enforcement community.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Good find! There's more to this story and I wanna hear it!
edit on 2-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Fascism at it's finest.

Someone already asked LEOs on ATS to speak up about this and I'm going to second that. This was CLEARLY an unconstitutional, not to mention excessive use of force against - not a protest - a yearly block party. When are police officers of good conscience going to stand up and say NOT ON MY WATCH?

Are you afraid of losing your jobs if you stand up for the Constitution? If you are, then I say you are a coward, and part of the problem. If law enforcement continues beating people for no good reason, especially in the Youtube age where everyone can see it, I have news for you: You are going to end up losing more then your job.

There will come a time, and I'm afraid it will be sooner rather than later, that the people you are sworn to "Protect and Serve" are going to rise up against you; and there are a lot more of them than there are of you. The LEOs I know would NEVER have attacked students in this manner. What I'm most afraid of is innocent police officers getting hurt or, God forbid killed, because they didn't stand up to this when their opposition to these tactics could have made a difference.

The time is NOW. Stand up, take the Oath Keeper pledge and defend the Constitution and the people you are sworn to protect before the righteous anger in this country comes to a boiling point; because when it does, it will be too late, people will die, and it will be YOUR fault.

+17 more 
posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Heres an idea.. Dont get drunk and break the law... Easy as that.

Also, it doesnt matter if it happens every year or not. Dont break the law..

and aside from fearmongering and trying to draw a paralell that does not exist, what the hell does kent state have to do with unfderage drinking and breaking the law by rioting?

Ah Xcathdra, always coming to the rescue of those innocent police officers right?

You seem to support the establishment in nearly every thread I see you in, and if you can't do that you attepmt to derail the thread.

I am in college, and know what the end of the year parties are like, and this is way more than what is necessary. If cops want to break up a party, they walk up say "knock it off" or "clear out" and everyone does. You can always drink somewhere else.

Sending swat teams to break up beer pong? That's way over the line. I'm sure even a shill like you can agree.
edit on 2-5-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

This is the youtube video.

The disturbing thing here is, it looks like the police were looking for a 'live training exercise' to test their tech toys and tactics.

Makes you wonder what the government has in the works that they are looking for opportunities to test riot equipment and tactics.

There are going to be mass protests about a number of things. One will be the annexation of Canada or the beginning of the North American Union disguised as a need for increased security. TPTB will LIE to the American people that their plan does NOT include Mexico. And it is a lie.

Once the Americans & Canadians are sold the idea of uniting, they will have lost their individual sovereignty. Neither the US or Canada will be able to act unilaterally. They will have to have permission from the "Union" council. After the US & Canada have been given some time to adjust to integration, the Union council will announce that they are including Mexico in the North American Union. That means an open border with Mexico.

Of course, this will destroy the quality of life for the average American & Canadian. But the Elite will have exactly what they want: free access to exploit Canada's natural resources and all the cheap labor they can use. Because American & Canadian labor cannot possibly compete with the sudden, unbridled influx of cheap Mexican labor.

Those who own US, the most powerful banks & corporations, do not care about US -- the serfs.

There is now proof that the North American Union is NOT a theory, it's a fact. And it's been in the making for years, decades.

2011-04-28 Wikileak: 2005 Canadian Gov Cable Addressing NAU (NAI)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2-5-2011 by AuranVector because: Added link to ATS thread

edit on 2-5-2011 by AuranVector because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
maybe sock puppets were sending messages ?

trouble is, the cops look like the flash-mob !

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

Exactly - I've been @ parties before where cops broke it up...
Hell - I've been @ a block party before that they broke up & all they had to do was get on the megaphone & woop woop a couple times & everybody was outie...
No need for the super trooper gear & military tech.

+7 more 
posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Wow.

So, here's a question...for Obama, since this happened in his "home" state.

How is it that Arabs rebelling against their dictators is encouraged by this administration, but college students having a party get attacked by riot police?

This is insane!

TPTB have this "If you see something, say something" program.

We need one of our own. "If you see a uniform, smash a uniform".

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

And you wonder why LEOS on this site are slow to respond. Does it matter what a LEO says? In the end you guys jsut run them into the ground, and continue the offensive against some perceived injustice brought on by a complete and total lack of understanding of how the law works, bothat the Federal AND State / local level.

Its been explained time and again, with supreme court rulings, how use of force works, what the officer percevied at the exact moment the use of force occured.

And in the end, you just dimiss the answer and push on with an argument based on paranoia and ignorance on the law.

So why dont you explain to us how the offiers actions were illegal and excesive. Afterall, you seem to be the expert here.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Kent State Shootings -- May 4, 1970 -- 41 years ago.

+1 more 
posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

How is it that Arabs rebelling against their dictators is encouraged by this administration, but college students having a party get attacked by riot police?

This bears repeating, it's the best point I have heard this week

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy
Wow.

So, here's a question...for Obama, since this happened in his "home" state.

This is insane!

TPTB have this "If you see something, say something" program.

We need one of our own. "If you see a uniform, smash a uniform".

Care to explain how a local matter for a community in the State of Illinois is anywhnere near the authority of the PResident of the United States to be involved?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako

I would head back to the drawing board then....

How is an issue in a community in the State of Illinois anywhere near the authority of the President of the United States?

+1 more 
posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

How is an issue in a community in the State of Illinois anywhere near the authority of the President of the United States?

Last time I checked Illinois was in the United States

When schools refused to integrate the federal government stepped in.

If a state is abusing it's citizen, the Federal government will step in.

Constitutionally, that is the reason it is there. Sadly it seems to do everything but what it's intended purpose was
edit on 2-5-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

link   
hmmm...I agree the police reaction was probably way OTT for a block party but going purely on that video, the first thing I noticed apart from the aggressive police stance, was the kid at 3:25 literally running and launching himself at a police officer and taking him to the ground? Surely if this was to happen to you, you would be more aggressive? I know I would.

Not that I like to defend the all-too-often overstepping of authority by the police. I only believe in commenting after looking at both sides of an argument. In the end though, riot squads were probably uncalled for and due to their aggressive stance from the outset, in some way, contributed to the aforementioned incident.

To summarize, I believe 50/50 blame can be apportioned here even if only for 1 idiot student's actions.

link   
As I said.. I wonder what the video didnt show... Lets see the entire story shall we?

Riots break out at Western Illinois University

Reports coming from MaComb Saturday night say police are overtaking the streets as riots broke out on and around the Western Illinois campus.

Witnesses are posting pictures on facebook like these, showing dozens of police around Wheeler Street.

News Now Digital Daily - subscribe to our daily newsletter

A spokesperson from the McDonough County Sheriff's department says authorities from several agencies started breaking up riots around 6:00 p.m. Saturday, due to the Wheeler Block party.

That's a yearly party held on Wheeler Street, that many Western students take part in.

A witness says police have been checking I.D.'s for underage drinking all day, but then started using mace and telling people to go indoors.

The witness also says it was "scary" and the police looked like "soldiers" marching on the street.

Some other video and different pictures are in the main article. Several police agencies responded. Apparently several riots broke out in different areas.

Wonder why that info is not in the OP.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako

exactely,

they like to blame others for what they are guily of !!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join