It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Arrests, Tear Gas, Sound Weapons used Against West Illinois University Students

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
In the first 3 minutes of the YouTube vid, I got from the two guys talking:

The students were there "blowing off steam"
The police were there with no incidents, they were keeping the peace and watching for open containers.
The police left the area at around 6pm for 30 minutes.
"And then, you know, we some students get a little out of hand. No cops in the vicinity at all
A "group of students" then "put a bicycle up on a stop sign" in view of police officers (I guess they had just returned). The cops were "allowing it to happen; not making any arrests."

Everything above was spoken on the vid; this isn't something I "deduced". Sometimes, if you want to make a case for "passivity and just having a peaceful good time", maybe you shouldn't speak on video. Now, do I think that full riot gear and tear gas should have been involved? Ehh...probably not at the outset like they did. But obviously the WHOLE STORY has been told.

/TOA

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

The videos dont show the EMS personnel treating their patients while drunks threw beer bottles at them. Thats when it went down hill and they called for more officers. The new account has that on record, which you can find one page back.

From my post here 2-3 pages back

Source

edit on 3-5-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Che Quevara - LOL something tells me you dont know his history in its entirety and what he did.. But hey, if thats what you want, more power to you.

Your correct. I don't know all the details about him, but I do know he was the right-hand man of fidel castro who brought communism to cuba. Che Quevara was trying to spread revolution to central and south america, with russias help, to do away with the right wing dictatorships, but was stopped by the cia...as always! Anyway, we are going off-topic so I will leave it here for now.

What the heck is this changing the story now with EMS and people needed medical attention but drunk kids were throwing bottles at them and thus needed back-up? How come you did not say this in the beginning but keep adding QUESTIONABLE and suspicious material as you go along?

This is starting to sound like roswell new mexico with the downed ufo and government going to over-drive to cover it up with all kinds of silly "information". And you never answered my question as to "how many times in the past have local authorities needed riot police to contain frat parties gone wrong?". If you don't want to answer it then just ignore me. I am done posting for today!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

If you are going to subcribe to Ches ideology and methods, I would research them before supprting him and saying we need that type of revolution. Also the other reason the info was added late is I had to take the time to dig for the news accounts that covered the incident, contrary to what other people in this thread do.

Man you pay attention as well asProto does.

Source

EMS were treating STUDENTS who had alcohol poisoning and the intersection where the issue occured. Whiule treating those patients drunk students began to throw beer bottles at EMS, which is what led to the police calling in backup.

And I did answer your question.. I told you to go to google or youtube, and type in college riots and see what comes up. Do a basic websearch and see what comes up.

The info is there, it has occured on other college campuses, and to think otherwise is being naieve.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Nothing out of the ordinary here.

At all.

Actually, if they were using tear gas and sound weapons, it sounds LESS dangerous than the clubs and shields that I have seen the police use during my time at University.

People that are freaked out about this probably didnt go to college where this kind of thing happens 2 or 3 times a year.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

If you are going to subcribe to Ches ideology and methods, I would research them before supprting him and saying we need that type of revolution.

Man you pay attention as well asProto does.

Source

EMS were trwating STUDENTS who had alcohol poisoning and the intersection where the issue occured. Whiule treating those patients drunk students began to throw beer bottles at EMS, which is what led to the police calling in backup.

Just admit the cops took it too far and we'll call it a day, ok?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by colbyforce

Absolutely not. The students were drunk, they started fires, assaulted EMS with beer bottles, assaulted the Police with beer bottles.

Admit the students brought this on themselves by not exercising personal responsibility and failing to disperse when they were told to do so.

Also, please explain why the students behavior is acceptable to you. Explain why its ok for drunk students to assault EMS who are treating patiens?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by HorizonMan

sorry I didn't post more last night but it was late and I was wiped out. Working in the dorms at WIU during the last month of school is INSANE!!!! Anyhow, The school was trying to shut this thing down weeks ago. They really didn't like the fact that this was gonna happen even off of their property. They locked the dorms down, everyone had to show an ID when they went in and the only way you got in was with your room key. School administration knew there was going to be an influx of non student party goers and didn't want them in the dorms. They even went to the three of four booze distributors in town and begged them to close down for the weekend. As I only live two blocks away and in a clear line of site to West Pierce Liquors, I can tell you THAT was an EPIC FAIL! I have Friday and Saturday off so I was at the house with my front windows open or sitting on my porch watching all the college kids heading for the party. Although they were loud, I can compare it to listening to a high school football game, it was a block party, everyone knew it was coming. We are all used to it and yes we've had problems in the past with it getting out of hand. This is why I made sure I had those days off. I've had a few run ins with drunk college kids who thought they were freekin superman and had to prove to them that fat bald and over forty doesn't mean weak. Most of the students I talked to who were going to the party knew about the past incidents and were (with a few exceptions) trying to avoid a repeat performance. Yes the city council knew this was coming and HAD to approve the bringing in of the response squad since their members come from all over the state not just the local area.
Just to give you an idea of how close I am to wheeler street, if you watch where the police line up on the cross street, I live one block north of that (the camera is pointing east), I can stand on my porch and watch the block party through the backyards across the street. In defense of Goldfarb, he has had to deal with quite a few incidents involving students and destruction of private property of the townies. The block parties have had a few bad showings in the past few years with beatings, a few sexual assaults, and even in one case some moronic kid stole the car of the chinese lady who was delivering to a house party. In the past I've seen furniture thrown from rooftops, streakers, bikes trashed (and burned), and even a gang fight (that occurred a block or two away and its never been definitively connected to the block party). All in all this year was nothing.
Xcath......please stop being a dink. This was well planned out, stategies and tactics decided upon probably weeks in advance. The cops wanted this to happen, Macomb cops do not have a very good reputation with the college kids. They've been sued numerous times for everything ranging from excessive force to civil rights violations. Even some of the townies have joined in the protest against their tactics with the college. Goldfarb really doesn't care what the fall out is since he's retiring. The cops don't care because for the most part the kangaroo court here in Macomb will side with them over the college kids. This was no riot, trust me, had it been a riot I would have been standing on my porch locked and loaded buddy.
Unbanable123, I'm calling bull$#!t right now. If what you claim happened, it didn't happen at this years wheeler street party. Not only do I live right here at ground zero (so to speak), but all of my student workers were there. Their stories differ from yours by a wide margin. One of them is even in the video where the morons lit the boxes and bike on fire and tore down the stop sign. Even the video shows its only two or three engaging in this vandalism.
To me its crystal clear, the cops, college administration, and the city council wanted to flex their collective muscle and did so without stopping to consider the ramifications of living in the digital age. I'm sure there are going to be lawsuits over this and I'm sure the cops will lose. Especially when the hundreds of videos not put on youtube are shown. Having seen a couple, I'm just gonna say the cops screwed the pooch on this one.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardA

Im not being a dink in the least.. People who are posting in this threead are doing so from a one sided view without the knowledge of how the law works, and what consitutes criminal behavior in a situation like this.People are quick to blame the Police, while completely ignoring the fact that something had to occur in order for the police to respond.

The administration, as you claim, tried to stop it and were unsuccessful. That means the students were free to have their party. Had they acted in a responsbile manner it never would have went the way it did. Once they started throwing beer bottles at EMS, lighting stuff on fire, vandalising property, they lost their ability to have that party in the manner they were.

The students were told to disperse, they did not. The riot police told the people to disperse, and the students did not.

The students acted irresponsibly, and knew what was going to happen. They made their own bed.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

LOL.. so you guys bitch that the police used excessive force, and now your bitching they used sound weapons against the people..

Which is it..

LOL You're talking to two different people and you think they're the same person.

If you're beating and kicking people to a pulp anyway then using sound weapons on top of that is excessive is it not?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

So once again, the info you ak for is provided, and again you dispute it because it doesnt support your argument. I cited the source for you to read and verify.

They, EMS, were treating patients, and people threw beer bottles at them..

Why is that acceptable to you? Even if EMS was NOT dealing with any patients, why is it acceptable to you to throw beer bottles at them? How do you justify and condone that action?.

You have no proof that beer bottles were thrown at them, you have the statement of one person trying to justify police mis conduct.

You have no assault arrests for assaults on EMTS you have no video evidence of assaults on EMT's so once again what we have here is the American standard of innocense until proven guilty, and you have absolutely no evidence except one suspect individuals statememnt.

Now you can grasp on to that like the life preserver you desperately need to justify your position, but it won't make it credible, or your position justifiable.

We do though have evidence of police brutality against a lot of people who weren't doing anything but hanging out with friends and having a good time.

So once again there are your double standards.

It's ok for the police to use indiscriminate violence on anyone and everyone in the immediate vicinity where it's alleged someone in a large crowd may have used violence.

We have the evidence that the police broke the law, we just have no real evidence that the kids did.

Sorry charlie.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Thats right, spin like you always do.. The articles are clear, and you dimiss them because it doesnt support your argument.. As I said before, you would be wrong.. The article syas you are wrong, the students say you are wrong..

Get over the fact the info doesnt support your argument.

Drunk students threw beer bottles at EMS.. Its stated in a few sources now.

Care to show us your "evidence" the cops violated the law.. Please also tell us what laws they broke and cite your sources.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Not really.. apparently trying to talk and rationalize with certain people is a waste of time, just as the drunk studensts refused to listen to the commands to disperse..

Way to obfuscate though

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

First, I'm not "led" by anyone.

Then you are what would be considered leadership. It would make sense - since you have so many 'props' for your post with little further contribution.

Second, "be prepared to die?" Really? Come kill me then, tough guy.

No need to come to you. You've already decided to come to me and threaten me.

Nor do I claim to be tough. Dead is a null variable. I don't believe in honor or the 'sport' of combat. If there's a threat to me - eliminating it in the fastest, most effective method available is what I will do. I'm a scrawny guy. I'd rather not go hand-to-hand - part of why I'm a good marksman and an even better strategist.

I'm not armed, but since you're looking for an excuse to kill someone, I'll let you come kill me. If it satisfies your bloodlust and saves others, then come kill me.

Like I said - you have already promised to come to me and threaten me. "See a uniform - smash a uniform." remember that line? That came from you.

It would seem you are the one really looking for a fight. You support wantonly violent demonstrations and advocate the attack of people in uniform simply for that uniform.

I, however, clearly defined what is a target and what is not. Destructive citizens are targets for nonlethal weapons. Hostile citizens armed with weapons are combatants, and therefor nonlethal restrictions are lifted.

I don't care to kill anyone. However, you seem to be looking for a reason to start a fight and a person to fight against. Since it is likely the two of us will meet on opposite sides of such a dispute - I feel it is my duty to clearly inform you of what the risks are.

You can have your little protest and be a nuisance within your rights, because you're incapable of expressing your views any other way. I'll stand there and watch. Start setting fire to things and throwing random objects around - I'll deploy 'rubber claymores' and sonic weapons. Start shooting or pulling out other weapons (or objects clearly being used in a lethal manner) - and I'll shoot back and eliminate the threat like I would against AQ.

All there is to it.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I see lots of houses that people live in being harassed by drunken adolescents, without the common sense to hold their party in a location where they don't stomp all over others rights. I see streets full of trash from adolescents so uncaring about their own environment, they can't be bothered to even try to use waste containers.

The actions of the Police were over the top, but then the actions of the kid's are over the top, so it's a draw. Nobody wins. Everything else is just immature minds spouting off to make themselves feel important. Luckily they will grow up. At least most will.

OP,
Did I actually see somebody bring up Kent State in relation to this
Kent State was not a bunch of students having a party. Has illiteracy reached the level a block party is equated with Kent State? Amazing and worrying at the same time. If our young don't know the difference between a party and protesting to end a war, we are devolving back towards the apes.

Studen ts brains ......

The truth is that rational thinking and decision-making skills, as well as the ability to foresee future consequences based upon current behaviors, are underdeveloped in college-aged students. In fact, the latest neuroscience suggests that the brain is not fully developed until we are 25 years old.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Now we're talkin,' angry cop. Watch out. I did graduate from"higschool" as you were wondering. I have a BS in Economics if you'd like to know, and I'm never a pompous a$$ about it. I'm sure you've never smoked pot because good cops don't do that. So, yeah, you got me pegged. Glad I could get a rise out of you, sport.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by colbyforce

Now we're talkin,' angry cop. Watch out. I did graduate from"higschool" as you were wondering. I have a BS in Economics if you'd like to know, and I'm never a pompous a$$ about it. I'm sure you've never smoked pot because good cops don't do that. So, yeah, you got me pegged. Glad I could get a rise out of you, sport.

Justt sterotyping like you did to me in a few posts.. I see you dont care for a taste of your own medicine... And you do it again by saying angry cop.. Im not angry in the least.. more dissapointed in our educational systems that turned out products in this thread..

Some people need to go and demand a refund on their education.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I see lots of houses that people live in being harassed by drunken adolescents, without the common sense to hold their party in a location where they don't stomp all over others rights. I see streets full of trash from adolescents so uncaring about their own environment, they can't be bothered to even try to use waste containers.

Really you see that on a block and neighborhood full of student housing where every house on the street has hundreds of people standing in the yard?

Or do you like see this driving around East LA on a Saturday night?

Ever been to an outdoor party with hundreds of people driking and eating?

I have, and at the end of the night or the next morning every one gets together and cleans up the mess.

Would I want to hang out with a bunch of kids having an outdoor party? No, but I am old enough and wise enough to know that such things are temporary and pass.

If I need sleep and I know I am not going to be able to get it, I head to a hotel, where I am sure to find peace easier than confronting hundreds of people intent on a good time.

I go to a couple of annual out door parties, they are the highlight of my year. So I can appreciate why these kids enjoy having an anual one too.

Can you?

By the way you either can or you can't, cause I gaurantee you not everyone's idea of a party is a party.

So it's not about what kind of party it is, it's can you appeciate that people enjoy having them from time to time.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Your stating your opinion, not fact, when it comes to who owns what property.. As you continually do to me, please provide us with a source that shows who owned what house and where.

ANd its not toally about enjoying the party.. The other part is acting responsible at that party and respecting the rights of non party goers and neighbors.

Your rights dont trump your neighbors just because you have 500 people in the street and only 1 house complains.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

So, Xcathdra you completely ignore the real problems and issues we face as a society to put all your effort and time into defending the police on this issue when the videos clearly shows what most people deem as a party including myself.

So i ask again. Why did the police respond in such a military-type response, yet these same "police" will ignore calls to end violence and other degrading things in impoverished communities?

Please enlighten me on that since you seem to know every single officer is here to "serve and protect"

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join