It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are these and why are they popping up around my area?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hey all! I am glad to be reporting on something other than the current media right now, and I believe what is going on in my home town is a conspiracy. Maybe it is, or maybe it's not, but I would like to know if anyone else has seen these particular things in their home towns.

I dont mind telling you all where I live considering no one could ever find me if it were a bug out sitch. I live in a small town called Sodus in Wayne County in New York state. Our town has about 5K~ people in it with nothing much else other than a few stores, a pharmacy, school, and a physical rehab/drug test lab. In the recent weeks leading up until now, the town and highway dept. has been doing weird things. I noticed that on our rail road tracks; that have been in the town for 100+ years since before the war of 1812 in which a battle was held in the historic Sodus Point bay; there are now 4 or 5 tanker type railroad cars. They are all black which have cages around them that have been erected around them to keep vandals away from them. No one vandalizes the tracks around here because they are rarely used and no one really cares anymore. I thought that was pretty weird until i found that a few of these tankers have either "Kerosene" or "Flammable Gas" stickers on them(The same that are required by tractor trailers to advertise). The only thing I could think of was " Why are we stocking up on Kerosene and gas/LP Propane?".

Bear With Me, Pictures Come After Text
I kind of let that go as a precautionary measure maybe because gas is going up so high they wanted some extra in town for emergency vehicles if it gets terrible. Recently, two weeks ago, there were three of these things sitting next to the same tracks that these tankers were sitting on. They seem to look like generators of some sort and I want to know why they are sitting here in such a small town and what they could be used for.

So now, without further adue, PICTURES!! And don't mind my rusty car
It's only there for size comparison.

Image #1

Image #2

Image #3

They are all uploaded on Imageshack so don't be afraid

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I would have to say they are a mobile high powered generator and high out put judging by the coils and wire gage why they would be showing up in your town im not sure but i bet is a generators

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
They look like high-voltage power transformers.

They are probably mobile so that they can patch into HV powerlines and supply the town in an emergency.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Just from looking at your pictures it looks like a mobile transformer and switch gear but I would need to get a better look to tell you much more then that. Maybe your utility company is going to need a temporary transformer while they upgrade a substation?
edit on 2-5-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Mobile emergency generators looks like. Any talk of drills or disaster preps in your area lately? Kind of strange to need 3 of these in a town of 5k people for some "just in case" scenario, awful expensive to rent and/or purchase.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmac10001
I would have to say they are a mobile high powered generator and high out put judging by the coils and wire gage why they would be showing up in your town im not sure but i bet is a generators

Was just about to say almost exactly the same thing.

Mobile power generator from CAT

I have seen quite a few on building sites as well but they can also be used if there are problems with generators in the area etc.

edit on 2-5-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

link   
My gut tells me they are preparing for something big to happen in the New Madrid area. Could be an EQ, could be the floods, or something else that only they know about. You're definitely not the first person to report something suspicious in a small town. SnF, good post.

link   
reply to post by chr0naut

That's what I thought too. But what really stuck me was that... this little town, has never had natural disasters other than an occasional ice storm every 6 or 7 years and the winter season is already over with. Why would they put these up AFTER winter and bring them in? What kind of emergency could such a small farming town incur? Martial law? Governmental collapse?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

If your town is small, its quite likely there is only one generator powering it or maybe two.

Its quite common to have problems with them and remember that maintenance will be needed at some point.

There's a lot of other things to think about too, I remember that a man committed suicide at new year quite a long time ago near my own village and it took the power out for a few hours.

Just giving my opinion and a few scenario's that I hope helps.

The only way you can know for sure is to check where your generator is and see if there is anything happening at it?

edit on 2-5-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmac10001
lmao if your right and it is a power plant I would like one for my house to! At some point we will have power plants like your talking about but we aren't there yet, at least as far as I know.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Thank you for all the replies!
I have not heard of anything out of the ordinary here happening. The school is preparing for summer, and the farmers are getting their fields ready like always. Nothing out of the ordinary has ever really happened here and i could never see much out of the ordinary happening. Let me note that these have sprung up in towns along Rt. 104 (It runs from about Niagara Falls all the way across the state east and north) in the same county as me. I have seen them on the side of the highway and off by bigger transformers and have been sitting in some places since early winter. If they are so expensive, then why would money be wasted by have tens to hundreds of these littered around? Something big MUST be coming up for so many of these to be around out of no where in a place where we only have to worry about freezing rain infrequently.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Its a mobile transformer substation. They are used to rapidly replace a downed substation until a permanent one can be built and put in place:

grovesconstruction.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Thank you for the link and info !
. Now I am trying to figure out why they are here, along with tankers of Kerosene, Liquid Propane and Gasoline. I think I'm going to head up to the town clerk's office tomorrow and see whats up with all this

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

Sounds like a plan!

Please post the info you get here 'cause I'm interested too.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247
My gut tells me they are preparing for something big to happen in the New Madrid area. Could be an EQ, could be the floods, or something else that only they know about. You're definitely not the first person to report something suspicious in a small town. SnF, good post.

Maybe, but...they seem pretty far from the fault line to be useful in an emergency (transportation through affected areas?). Also, NY seems pretty quiet in terms of seismic activity right now. However, the idea of emergency gennies/power stations and stores of LP/Gas/Diesel/Kerosene would logically tie into preparation for an emergency event of some sort.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hmm, pretty interesting and I'd like to figure out what these things/train cars, are?

Though, one of my computer's net security programs just alerted me that an intrusion was blocked( with a high risk level), when looking at your images loaded to the Image Shack website, your photos host. You may want to check on that or load the images to ATS.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

Here's the deal,,,I live in Monroe County (You know the one), I mainly grew up in Webster (Xerox, 104, Wegmans, etc..), anyhow, first off yep, those are definitely back-up/emergency transformers with a fuel powered genrators. If you ever go to "The Rez" off of the Thruway for "Tax free purchases" there's at least 3 of those around a very small area due to such bad storms, and it being a seperate nation and all. There is always at least 1 there at any given time, but not necessarily in use. So that's what those are, I was curious too, so I asked a guy I know there,,and honestly was a little disappointed it/they weren't more exciting.
Here's the good news, Ginna Nuclear power plant ("Ga-Nay") in Ontario, N.Y. is off-line, or at least mostly offine, for regular maintenance, it was planned and started before Japan's problem(s), so I really didn't listen when I heard it then. I spent about 2 decades living across the street from one of their warning sirens. To make a long story medium,,,,this happens and has happened since the plant opened around 1971, a medium one happens every 1 and a half years, and a much larger one that is every five years. I'm pretty sure it's the medium one,,,anyways,,,long before 9/11, I used to make a small fortune delivering pizzas and such to all off the out off town workers that come in to do the work, more likely than not,,,if you checked the Hotels they are probably full in the area.

So, those things are there to make up for power that's not coming from Ginna, and I think that's Sodus Point's Largest power source, but you're still in/on the grid, some will be diverted from Buffalo or Syracuse, the generator/transformer/trailers and tanks are to fill any dips so that the fine people of Sodus/Sodus Point and that part of Wayne County in general,,won't/don't have any brown or black outs (Remember the ice storm 20 years ago) so you're beyond good, no worries, (Except for how bad the lake is going to smell in 2 months)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by professorjebediah

I just want to say thanks. It's not often we see a perfectly normal explanation for the curious things that go on around us. I think there are probably a lot of ordinary explanations for the strange things people bring here; we just never know what they are.

Just a timely reminder to all of us that not everything is part of a grand conspiracy....

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I never really post, because I hate typing, and suck at it, but anyways, having grown up near Ginna Nuclear power plant, and having taken food there for years, I felt I really should post that. I would have been just as curious as the OP if I hadn't already encountered "Them" and knew about Ginna, we had tons of drills when I went to school in Webster. As for Ginna, t's a very small very well guarded plant, Sodus, especially Sodus Point is awesome in the summer. There's is actually a lot of really cool stuff in this area to write about, and/or research,,I'm just not the person to do it.

reply to post by Ex_CT2

new topics

top topics

join