It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IT professionals think public should be "more concerned"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I was working on my emails a minute ago, and visited a site called Tech Republic which sends out email newsletters to IT professionals.

They were conducting an informal poll of IT pros on the subject:
"Is the concern over evil corporations and privacy overblown?"
When I checked it, 1885 people had responded.

Only 8% thought we had "nothing to worry about."

35% thought that the current concern level was adequate.

And 57% thought that we should be "more concerned."

I consider these guys to be "insiders" but of course there's no way to tell who they are except for the fact that they use this site that is for IT pros.
In any case, this is a telling response.
We would expect the general population to be influenced mostly by mainstream media PR.
But these guys should actually know, on the corporate level anyway, what computer technologies are really being used for these days.
It is at least an indicator that we need to look deeper into the corporate world and be more vigilant in our attempts to protect whatever shreds of freedom we still have.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

Of course we should be concerned!

How to successfully boil a frog

First, place the frog in a pan of cold water.
Then slowly bring to the boil.

The reason for this is simple.
Drop a frog in already hot or boiling water and it instinctively jumps right back out again, every time.
Using cold water to begin with fools the frog into thinking it's in an environment somewhat suited to its comfort zone. Bringing the water temperature up gradually continues to fool the frog into not realising the mortal danger it's in until it's far too late for it to do anything but complain a little before its demise.
By the time it instinctively does become aware that there's a serious problem with its environment, the water's already so hot that it's sapped too much of the strength from the frog, disabling its ability to leap to potential safety and so, sealing its fate.

Methinks this proverbial frog (the general populous) is almost, if not already too weak to leap out from the boiling pan of water.
They've had several decades since Eisenhower, to slowly but surely bring our pan of water up to boiling.
Obviously, by now this 'frog' may well know it's too hot for its health. But the water's already getting way too hot, so all it can do is complain - our ability to decisively act has been taken from us through many gradually introduced sets of contrived circumstances and legal limitations that constitute the 'boiling of our waters'.

I'd say we're at the point where, like the frog, we've begun to notice that something's not right - we notice our water has become a lot warmer than we can remember it ever being when we 'got here' - but as yet we (collectively) can't put our finger on what exactly is happening to us, so our instinct isn't going to alert us to 'jump' until it's far too late.

In fact, it's probably already far too late...is that a bubble I see!??

new topics

join