It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The movie Deep Impact and Comet Elenin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Abney

Actually I did search for it and looked through threads, no I did not read all the threads about it on ATS because...well...it's ATS. I like to get my information from other sources. You show me one that mentions what I said and it would be great if it's the subject of the thread.

Obviously at least couple of other people found it interesting. No one made you read it or respond.
edit on 3-5-2011 by infiniteobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by infiniteobserverIn the movie they developed a new rocket that contains a nuclear reactor called Orion.
Project Orion looked at using the detonation of nuclear bombs as a propulsion method back in the late 1950s.

NASA has been testing one such rocket already called Ares.
Ares does not use any kind of nuclear processes. It was a conventional hybrid solid-fuel first stage, liquid-fuel second stage rocket based on the design of the Space Shuttle solid rocket boosters.

One of it's main purposes is to make it easier for us to get to Mars...the name of that "Mars" mission is Orion.
Orion is the name of the crew capsule. The overall program encompassing a return to the moon and a Mars mission was named Constellation.

Once the Ares rocket couples with the Orion capsule the mission will be referred to simply as Orion.
No one knows what the mission would actually be referred to, as the Constellation Program was essentially canceled in 2010. The Ares rockets will not ever be completed. Parts of their design will go in to the development of a single heavy-launch system simply called the Space Launch System. The Orion capsule may survive and go on to be used on other rockets.

The rocket from movie also has six burners that they use after the first stage rocket has been used, just like Ares.
The first stage of Ares I was a single nozzle, solid-fuel booster. The second stage would have been liquid fueled with a single J-2X engine. If you're talking about the larger Ares V, it would have used two solid rocket boosters and a first stage with 5 Space Shuttle Main Engine-derived engines. The second stage would have had a single J-2X engine.

Fast forward a bit and we currently have a comet called Elenin on the way. It was discovered by a man named LEOnid ELEnin. As far as I know, the calculations are still being made to see how close it will come to Earth.
The calculations have nailed down the orbit quite well. Elenin will not get any closer than 34,000,000 km to Earth (roughly a quarter of the distance between the Earth and Sun).

Leonid is also the name of a meteor shower and where do most meteors come from? Well for the most part, from pieces of comets...
Leonid is also a popular male name in Russia.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If there is a disaster approaching us from space, then I don't see how it can be considered an engineered event. There are forces much bigger and more unstoppable than TPTB.

If they've seen it coming and they're not telling us, it's because there's nothing to be done about it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Perhaps I misunderstood about the specifications of the rocket but it all came from NASA's website. The claim about the nuclear engine and how it would be named came off their own website. It seems they were referring to the vehicle's name as a whole not the mission itself. Either way the result is the same, you have a rocket called Orion...just like in the movie.

It could all just be an intriguing coincidence or it could actually mean something. I don't know. If I knew I would probably go to a more reputable news (if ATS could even be considered such...) site.
edit on 17-5-2011 by infiniteobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by infiniteobserver

Hey Man,

I was watching this movie the other night and the similarities are pretty interesting. Dont forget though, this film was made in 98

Heres some more you might have missed

-The comet is only discovered recently-within a year or two of it hitting
-There is a scene in the move where it looks like there are two suns (theres been a bunch of threads on this subject over the last while)
-The president states that they are hording seeds, seedlings etc in vaults

Imsure there were more, so my question is, is life imitating art or vice versa?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by infiniteobserver

I love the movie Deep Impact. I watch it at least once a year.

This comment made by Coty Beavers, a.k.a. infiniteobserver, in the opening post is so sad.

So if I die in a car wreck in the next few days its because I said too much or my fiance was driving

Too bad I missed this thread when he started it up. I would have gladly contributed to the discussion because I know the movie backwards and forwards.

R.I.P. Coty

Introduction and request on behalf of family of murdered ATS member

edit on 26-4-2013 by lostinspace because: added link to information about murder

top topics

<< 1   >>

join