It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typical American Response to death of Osama

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

See that's the problem with Conspiracy Theories Maya.

People take loosely connected factoids and opinions by people who they think SHOULD KNOW, and attempt to stitch them together to form a picture, however distorted, to suit the Conspiracy Theory. In the scientific community that's called research fraud(or at the very least the misapplication of the scientific method).

Why, if respected scientists call that kind of "research" a fraud, do we not?

Edit to add:

It was not so long ago that I fell for this crap Maya.
I've been around ATS for a few years and have been deceived more by the membership of this site in their quest to wake up the "sheeple" than I have been by the government that is the target of these accusations. If I were any other person I would have left by now. But I think it is more important and PRUDENT to post the truth and have it be known and lose favor with the rest of the membership than it would be to simply say nothing at all or accept what is being presented.
edit on 3-5-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Celebrate the death of Bin Laden? Here’s what I’ll celebrate:

When all the charities for US veterans go out of business because the US government takes care of its veterans, I’ll jump up and hoot and holler and wave the flag like there’s no tomorrow.

When the number of doctors in the US (661,400) exceeds the number of prisoners (2.3 mil), I’ll throw a huge party.

When the US Government announces the end of the Patriot Act, I’ll light off some fireworks in celebration.

When the Supreme Court rules that it is unconstitutional for the US Government to force people to buy something they don’t want, I’ll pop the cork on a bottle of champaign.

When a US Dollar buys one ounce of silver, I’ll go out on the streets and dance like an uncoordinated white boy and not care how I look doing it.

When the US Government no longer tortures people, wiretaps without warrants, or molests children at airports, I’ll swallow the worm at the bottom of a tequila bottle and sing karaoke all week long.

When a team of Navy Seals kills a 54-year-old man on dialysis after spending $1.4 trillion, over 6,000 dead US servicemen, over 30,000 wounded US servicemen, over 1 million dead civilians, I think I’ll celebrate by going out to my garden and planting more tomatoes and lettuce. Later this year when food and gas prices are going through the roof, I’ll celebrate the death of Bin Laden with a BLT.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

I fully understand where you're coming from on this.

Add to that an end to the government pushing an anti armed citizen agenda.

But I look at the OBL thing like this:

We have indeed been at war for 10 years. We've lost so much in blood and treasure. We've had so little reward for the effort, so little to feel good about.

This is not a victory in the sense of what is typically accepted as a victory. It is a psychological victory for America. We needed something, however small, to feel good about for quite some time.

I say let the people have it.
edit on 3-5-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I see where you're coming from, too. But it's kind of like winning $100 in the lottery after spending thousands of dollars over a period of years. I know I tend to look at the pessimistic side. I see so much wrong with my country these days. I know people desperately need something to feel good about, but is this the best we can do? Is Bin Laden’s death going to make anything in this country tangibly better? Give me something real to celebrate, and I’ll celebrate.

But I’m not going to begrudge people who want to celebrate this. I recognize that many people are much more personally invested in this than I am, and if celebrating Bin Laden’s death helps them, more power to them. I’m just going to focus on the things that make a difference in my life, like feeding my family in the coming years.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFrenchPickler
reply to post by jfj123

Not to derail you but my country (America) has "blown up schools, innocent women, children and the elderly"...all in the last week! Have you seen the news in Libya? How is planting a roadside bomb any different then sending in a missle from a computer terminal? Both seem pretty damn cowardly to me. You like to think there is a grand evil we have ridded ourselves of - the grand evil is all around us unfortunately.

War is bad.
Inevitably the innocent suffer in any war and it's never ok...NEVER.
Keep in mind that the people of lybia asked for our help. They continue to ask for our help and we are helping them gain their freedom. The lybian people want democratic elections and the freedoms we as Americans enjoy. Why wouldn't we support that?

What's the difference you ask?
Terrorists deliberately target the innocent. We do not.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Originally posted by jfj123
A very bad man killed thousands around the world.
He can no longer do this.
Isn't that a good thing? If it's not, do you think the US should have left hitler to his own devices and stayed out of WW II ?

I'm not upset that he's dead, I'm upset that American people are cheering over the murder of a man.

Normally I would too but I would cheer hitler's death if I were alive when he died.
Hitler was evil and deserved to die as did osama
so..
YEAHHHHHHHHHHH Game over for osama !!! hahahahahahhahahh
An evil person has been removed from earth !!! YEAAHHHHHHHHHHH
5/2/2011 I will celebrate every year !
Seal Team 6 are HERO'S and they should be congratulated and celebrated !!!!!

Hate me if you want but I love it when evil leaves mother earth

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I was somewhat hoping for a public hanging in Washington (after weeks of a mysterious absence in maybe Area 51..and signs of torture on his body), and then a spreading of his body across...say Israel, wrapped in bacon, and then having his body feed to pigs...but we cannot always get what we want.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

So did you celebrate when Harry S. Truman died? He ordered the death of thousands of innocent civilians, so was he evil? Do you celebrate his death every year?

You see, it's all about context isn't it?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

Not to derail you but my country (America) has "blown up schools, innocent women, children and the elderly"...all in the last week! Have you seen the news in Libya? How is planting a roadside bomb any different then sending in a missle from a computer terminal? Both seem pretty damn cowardly to me. You like to think there is a grand evil we have ridded ourselves of - the grand evil is all around us unfortunately.

War is bad.
Keep in mind that the people of lybia asked for our help. They continue to ask for our help and we are helping them gain their freedom. The lybian people want democratic elections and the freedoms we as Americans enjoy. Why wouldn't we support that?

Yeah how many people asked us to help? Not sure if you saw the funeral for Quadaffi's brother, but there were probably a couple million pissed off people in the streets.

Keep spreading the lie that its for democracy, while Yemen and Bahrain is slaughtering people for real. Please don't use the "We can't be everywhere at once" excuse.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

reply to post by Vicky32

Vicky32 - I feel like there are just a few of us who actually get it and no matter how much you try to tell people, they never seem to. At what point do you give up trying to convince everyone? I am close but still fighting

Oh I often feel like just giving up! It's so frustrating...but even if there are just a few of us, it's good to know we can support each other. I sometimes think about what kids will be being taught in school 75 years from now? (I remember studying the origins of the first world war at high school, and thinking about how it was that my teacher knew things and taught them, that my great-grands who lived at the time could only suspect..)
My Dad used to say "there's none so blind as those who won't see".
Vicky

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrailGator

I as an American am willing to say to Europeans - some whose ass we saved, and some whose ass we kicked in WW2 - fine then, you defend yourself, and we'll keep our troops safely over here. Same for Japan and China, who we contributed to MIGHTILY to rebuild after the destruction of WW2 (I presume the Aussies and NZ'landers did something too, but I am mighty hard pressed to find what it is they did to rebuild other countries). They can defend themselves and not get any foreign aid from us. Not Europe, not Asia, Not Australia, Not South America, Not anywhere else. You all can play host to Islamic terrorists.

While I am sure you believe all that #e above, you're a fantasist. You can stick your foreign aid where the sun don't shine, as it's all tied anyway, and I would delighted if you'd take away your sodding bases - in NZ, start with the Waihopai spy base!

You saved only your own donkeys in WW2. There was a reason why my father and his generation used to say about the American troops that they were "overpaid, over-sexed and over here". You came very late to the party, just in time to claim victory and got a Purple Heart each time you stubbed your toes. TextMeanwhile people like my father and my uncles actually did the fighting against the Nazis.
We have no Islamic terrorists in New Zealand, we have Muslim people (such as the owners of the shop nearby, or my next-door neighbours who are refugees from Somalia.
Treat people like human beings, and they'll treat you the same in return. Invade their countries in order to rob their resoruces, murder their children, assassinate their leaders (real or imagined) and they will be the terrorists you want them to be.
As you Americans love to say "payback's a bitch", and I hope to live long enough to see that day.
Che pezze di merda, coglione!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

I just posted a quote from 1984.
I dont want to per-say blame or be angry at US citizens.
Because, they have been under some devious brain washing.

Yes...I recognized the Orwellian reference. And really, I agree that there is a serious problem here with people who believe everything from the MSM, and ask no questions nor seek answers for themselves. After all, TV don't lie, do it?

The MSM here was all "doom" and "gloom" and "omg quagmire", along with "Deathcounts" and "Friendly Fire" and so on, a few years ago. If that is what you meant in choosing that particular scene in 1984...? Because many of the same Americans who thought it was outrageous for us to be at war at all, and loudly let everyone know that, are now "dancin' in the streets". I find that to be irritating, yes. But the MSM has not been propping up the war(s), playing patriotic music, etc. Quite the opposite. Until recently.

I agree that there is a clandestine alliance between government and MSM. So what is standard in such a situation? If the media is propping up politicians and basically operating as a propaganda machine...look for the people who are defamed, hated, reviled by the machine. They are probably good people.

As for OBL, I have not finished my own search for information and, hopefully, a truth. So I have nothing to say on that subject yet. I joined the thread to protest the stereotyping and bashing of Americans in general. Maybe I'm off-topic.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
reply to post by jfj123

So did you celebrate when Harry S. Truman died? He ordered the death of thousands of innocent civilians, so was he evil? Do you celebrate his death every year?

You see, it's all about context isn't it?

You're comparing apples and monkeys !
Compare the 2 examples yourself then we'll talk.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

reply to post by jfj123

War is bad.

Yeah how many people asked us to help? Not sure if you saw the funeral for Quadaffi's brother, but there were probably a couple million pissed off people in the streets.

Really a couple million? Please post your source. Where was the funeral?

Keep spreading the lie that its for democracy,

Then what is it for? Remember, the US gets ZERO barrels of oil from lybia and gets the majority of it's oil supply from Canada and Mexico so you can't use that excuse.

while Yemen and Bahrain is slaughtering people for real.

You obviously don't realize we're involved in yemen as well. But let's be honest, we can only help so many people. How many fires do you expect the US to put out at the same time ???? Might I suggest you actually ask your country to help those poor people.

Please don't use the "We can't be everywhere at once" excuse.

I hate to say this but this is one of the most ignorant responses I've heard on ATS. It's not an excuse, it's a reality. We only have so much money, we only have so many troops, we have only so many resources, etc...
You want us to police the entire world then people like you complain when we try to help because "it's not our job to police the world".
So sick of people like you you just like to hate America because you want to hate America

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

I was intending to respond to this:

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by Tsurugi
Americans are said to be stupid, blind, illiterate sheep. Disgusting, greedy, selfish, arrogant bastards. Fumbling, bumbling morons with a fat checkbook but an empty bank, jackbooting around waving their military in everyone's faces while poking their bulbous capitalist noses in everyone's business, sniffing for a buck to make, a people to exploit, an ecosystem to ravage.

You said it!

...but I read through the rest of the thread first. I could be wrong, but I'm slowly getting the idea--dumb American that I am--that you despise the U.S... Politicians and MSM in the States are always wringing their hands about how loathed the U.S. is by the rest of the world. ATS members all say not to trust the MSM. But lots of ATS members seem to loathe the U.S. So...what am I to make of that? What would a good Conspiracy Theorist make of that?

This thread was started by an American pointing out the actions of other Americans as disagreeable. Other Americans have added support to this initial statement. You are hating on all Americans--which is your right, you can hate whatever or whomever you want...but don't assume the moral high ground and condemn the celebration of the death of a perceived enemy as barbaric, brainwashed, etc. Not when you say things like the following...

As you Americans love to say "payback's a bitch", and I hope to live long enough to see that day.
Che pezze di merda, coglione!

In that same post, you say:

You saved only your own donkeys in WW2. There was a reason why my father and his generation used to say about the American troops that they were "overpaid, over-sexed and over here". You came very late to the party, just in time to claim victory and got a Purple Heart each time you stubbed your toes.

...and shortly follow that with:

Treat people like human beings, and they'll treat you the same in return. Invade their countries in order to rob their resoruces, murder their children, assassinate their leaders (real or imagined) and they will be the terrorists you want them to be.

So we're slow to jump into war...but we're children-slaughtering invaders? Please, at least try to pick only one of these per post. And I'm glad we as Americans may have played some small role in assisting your father and his generation vs. the Nazis, so they could live to go home and teach their little ones to hate us. How charming.

As for the rest of your posts in this thread, you sound a lot like the "media elite" we have here. Scathingly contemptuous. You spend some time berating and belittling, then make aside remarks to your friends-of-like-mind about how tiring it is to be one of the enlightened few, trying to get through the thick skulls of us poor stupid rubes.

Well, maybe you are enlightened. I wouldn't know. I do know that it's pretty much impossible to teach anyone, or get them to see the way you do, with the approach you have chosen. So you can't be trying to get us to see the light...which leads me to think you're just enjoying a little bashing session. If so, bash away. But let's have no pretense of moral superiority; it's annoying.
edit on 5/4/2011 by Tsurugi because: Added some stuff.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Maybe it helps that I am not an American, so I don't have any bias towards belief in whatever the MSM says, especially if the 'villain' is foreign, female or dark-skinned..

So many of the things you say sound like all the stuff I have long been tired of hearing from American MSM and public figures! Everything is blamed on racism, sexism, nationalism, etc. So does that mean our MSM is actually not a propaganda tool? If not, why are you using so many of their favorite accusations? It's really strange for you to talk about your ability to not believe the MSM, then go on to sound just like them.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

At what point do you give up trying to convince everyone?

Maybe you should ask yourself - Why am I trying to convince everyone to feel the same way I do????

I would be really curious about your answer.

People are different. Who are you that you think you know how everyone should feel? How arrogant! And who gave you the authority to convince people to feel differently than they do? Leave people alone! Jesus!

Feel the way you feel and stop trying to convince other people how to feel. It's really none of your business.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

but I'm slowly getting the idea--dumb American that I am--that you despise the U.S... Politicians and MSM in the States are always wringing their hands about how loathed the U.S. is by the rest of the world. ATS members all say not to trust the MSM. But lots of ATS members seem to loathe the U.S. So...what am I to make of that?

That recent US actions have brought this loathing on your country! Starting with the invasion of the Phillipines in 1905, then the Korean 'war', the destruction of Vietnam, I could go on... There are many more wars the USA has fomented than you probably know about.

So we're slow to jump into war..

Unless there's profit in it for you! Ferengi!

Originally posted by Tsurugi.but we're children-slaughtering invaders? ... And I'm glad we as Americans may have played some small role in assisting your father and his generation vs. the Nazis, so they could live to go home and teach their little ones to hate us.

Oh really! I am beyond fed up with Americans claiming credit for winning World war 2 for the rest of us, when you arrived late and claimed ctredit, and that's all you did! That's all I was angry about to begin with, then you really let out the hate. That's what it seems to me that Americans are good at - hate and not much else.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

That's what it seems to me that Americans are good at - hate and not much else.

Wow... That's harsh. Ouch!

Please don't take this wrong, but I'm starting to wonder if you are American. I wonder if you've always lived in New Zealand because I've never met an Aussie or a Kiwi that talked like you do. You sound more like an American to me. I know that sounds weird, but your posts sound pretty hateful toward Americans while you're saying that all we know how to do is hate...

I actually see more hatred from you directed at people who don't share your opinion here than I see coming from the Americans in this thread.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Please don't take this wrong, but I'm starting to wonder if you are American. I wonder if you've always lived in New Zealand because I've never met an Aussie or a Kiwi that talked like you do. You sound more like an American to me. I know that sounds weird, but your posts sound pretty hateful toward Americans while you're saying that all we know how to do is hate...

Oh please! It would help if you read my profile before being so absurd. Yes, I am in New Zealand, yes, I have always lived here - but the clue is in my details - I am English.
If you knew any New Zealanders, you would know that they are all very big on all things American. If you meet a New Zealander under 20, you'll hear that their accent and their vocabulary is television-American.
That is not me!
I do not talk like an American (I would rather die than do that. I teach the English language as a profession, not the American language.)
I am capable of using American vocabulary when communicating with Americans, as I believe it helps their/your comprehension, that's all.
I am a linguist, after all...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join