It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freak hail storm covers Lisbon streets with layers of snowy ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

April 30, 2011 – LISBON, Portugal- By all accounts, it was a very unusual storm. Temperature dropped in less than 10 minutes from 27ºC to15ºC, and what we’ve got in Lisbon area, was a suddenly sea of hail, that in some less sunny places, still remains up to this morning. Some reports showed temperature lows of 5ºC. The situation was so dire, heavy equipment was called in to clear the streets.

Bulldozers try to remove the hail from the streets in Damaia near Lisbon, Portugal, after a violent rainstorm hit the Lisbon region in the afternoon of April 29, 2011, covering the streets with a thick layer of icy hail

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It reminds of me of the snow in Delhi at the beginning one of those disaster movies (The Core I think).

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This has been happening in Britian as well:

www.southwalesargus.co.uk...

russellcavanagh.me.uk...

Reminds me of the film "Day after tomorrow".

ALS

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
TPTB are really cranking up their weather modification lately.....before long it will be snowing here in the U.S. on July 4th...in the deep south......

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
According to the National Meteorologic Institute, this weird phenomena was produced by ‘convective’ clouds due the warm air on the surface, rising fast in the vertical against chilly temperatures above, the shock between heat and cold had produced a giant cloud (and a very black one, I must say) that almost instantly originated the heavy drop of hail for half an hour in a large area. Obviously this provoked a complete chaos in the capital, moreover when the diverse Lisbon’s fire brigades are not equipped to handle such event dealing with ice/snow which is something that is almost nonexistent in this region and never at this level. But in the future….

This is the ‘blending of the seasons’ no doubt.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm from Lisbon but not living in the country but on the phone with my grandmother who has 82 years says that everything looked snow and throughout her life has never seen anything like this.

really was a very strange phenomenon that nobody ever saw equal in Portugal

and this is one part of the country where it never snows and has a mild climate.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I was in the desert and the temperature was 114 when I started on my hike. A few hours later I was standing in 5 inches of hail. Then the storm left and the ice quickly melted as the temperatures soared back to 114 degrees.

Nature is so awesome.

join