It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Have a Robot for That.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I was having trouble scratching my back as I read your post. Good idea, my friend!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Sounds like you need one of Asimov's robots

Seriously though, these were all programmed to assist humans in trouble, serve humans in any way that is not destructive, look after themselves etc.
The rules were simple;
1 Never to harm a human being, or through inaction, allow one to be harmed.
2 Always obey orders from humans, except where this conflicts with rule 1.
3 Always preserve itself, except where this conflicts with rule 1 ( a human being could also order aa robot to self-destruct, but a clause would be inserted that prevented this unless doing so would save a human from harm, otherwise, it would simply deactivate itself)
4 (and this is for advanced AI types) a robot is free to do anything constructive in it's spare time, so long as this does not conflict with the first 3 rules.
Having these rules in place saves us from robots, us from each other, & them from us.
If you really want to get into 'robo-phsychology' then you should read some of his books
start with the 'I Robot' series-that's nothing to do with the film BTW, and then try 'the bicentennial man' and 'Caliban".
A humanoid form (android) is the best, because it could operate human machinery etc, a chauffer seems like the ideal job, that's where i would start.
Imagine you have a disaster like in Japan, they could have sent a team of robots into a lethal environment & fixed the reactors in no time

Japan being the world leader in robotics, i am still surprised they didn't

Send them to Mars, you wont need all that heating, food, oxygen etc. I'm talking REAL robots, not these remote-controlled toys they keep sending

Another fascinating thread, S&F
edit on 18-5-2011 by playswithmachines because: Edit txt

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Meet Bert & Ernie, one has epilepsy, the other has 'guru meditation' moments

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A robotic field tender that removed weeds/insects to compost and brought the compost back to where it was needed could save a lot of poison. If i had one that picked up rocks and dirt and laid down walls I could build a lot of cheap houses.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Has anyone mentioned the exoskeleton sort of robot? Cos that could seriously kick ass, and quite literally, imagine an exoskeleton robot suit type thing that would augment your feeble human bodies - you could literally pull off ninja moves that only happen in the movies with CGI editing! - And then in the evening you could take it off, eat your pie and chips and drink beer while chain smoking in front of the telly all evening..... Come the morning, don the ninja suit and off you go to rid the world of bad guys!

In my minds eye I'm not thinking anything that looks strange and way sci fi in appearance, using materials and tech that is waaaay beyond us right now it would be no less bulky than what say maybe a motorcyclist would wear for protection, maybe not even that... You could get 'normal' clothing on over it and be a super agent

That is a 'robot' that is full of win - it's a suit robot, that would still count right?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I just had an idea, let my boss have Marvin, the paranoid android

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'd just like a robot that makes me money, then I could afford all of those things one would want a robot to do for them, or render those tasks obsolete.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
I'd just like a robot that makes me money, then I could afford all of those things one would want a robot to do for them, or render those tasks obsolete.

Funny You should mention that...

If We add free energy the need for money dissipates. We can build robots to do all the work no One wants to do, and EVERYONE will live as today's elite.

Here are some threads on this that I started, and You might want to check out the free PDF of My book, information linked in my sig.

The End of Entropy - the foundation - read first

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform - the structure

Here's a simple schematic for drawing on the plenum ("dark"/Zero Point/Radiant/Orgone/...) energy:

The Abundance Paradigm:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
A robotic field tender that removed weeds/insects to compost and brought the compost back to where it was needed could save a lot of poison. If i had one that picked up rocks and dirt and laid down walls I could build a lot of cheap houses.

Or how about this? Robots of different sizes that crawl about Our food, removing any insects to "preserves" - areas set aside for them - keeping Our food bug-free. I bet this could be done now if someOne with that skill put Their mind to it...

I see many fields turned, tilled, planted, watered, weeded, debugged (so to speak), harvested and turned, in truly organic ways, by robots, drawing from the plenum energy. I see repair robots. I see robots that pick up the harvests and others who, based on online requests, pick up the produce and send it to those who want it. Excess is available for additional seed (seed is always saved), feed, and compost.

Based on demand, from a central ordering site, perhaps, the crops will be figured and and People will be able to have most anything They choose. Some things may indeed be scarce, but food of some kind, healthy, organic, fresh, bug-free - and cleaned, cooked and served - will be available for the asking . And ALL will be done by robots...

And anyOne who WANTS to do those jobs.

For more, see My post above.
edit on 6/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: brain fart

edit on 6/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: Dear Gods, another one!

edit on 6/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: ack

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by playswithmachines
I just had an idea, let my boss have Marvin, the paranoid android

LOL! I like Marvin. He's cute.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
My robot would make me breakfast in bed with a decent cup of tea.

I'll take coffee. But yes, I suspect this is possible, too. [smile]

Check out My post above where I offer ideas on how to have Our very own breakfast 'bottie.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
a back stratching robot...

One that does both back scratching AND massage! I think We could make it happen!

(See above post where I link to My ideas.)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by igotttaknow
get it to give me piggybacks where ever i want to go an maybe punch many idiots i know

Well, the Asimov laws would preclude the latter, but I bet the former is doable. But then, if You never HAD to see these People You don't like again, would You still go hunting Them? Or would You be doing something else - like spend time with Your friends?

In the abundance paradigm, You could choose to do anything that does not break the three Laws:

Do not willfully hurt or kill another Being

Do not willfully take or damage another Being's property

Do not willfully defraud another Being

For more on how We might usher in the abundance paradigm (and get a piggyback ride giving robot to Those who want it), see my post above where I offer links.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
''Automatic ass whipe Robot''

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
#e dubble post ;(
edit on 16-6-2011 by Silend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
well what kind of society would it be if you have a robot for everything but not sexual gratification? Seems like the ultimate dystopia to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

It seems to me that mass production be it of food or other consumer goods brings with it a loss of quality and sustainability that is more inherit to individual craftsmanship. A good use for robots may be to return to that individual craftsmanship and stop so much of that waste and destruction that mass production leaves in its wake.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by Amaterasu

It seems to me that mass production be it of food or other consumer goods brings with it a loss of quality and sustainability that is more inherit to individual craftsmanship. A good use for robots may be to return to that individual craftsmanship and stop so much of that waste and destruction that mass production leaves in its wake.

While I agree that We do see that now, I also know that if We can get the plenum energy extraction methods out of suppression, this will raise all of Us to a choice of living as today's elite. The need for money will dissipate.

As today We build things with "planned obsolescence" so as to encourage repeat sales, with money no longer a motive, things will be built the BEST way, not the cheapest/most profitable way. So We can expect a lot less waste and shoddy product. But also, in that world, We will indeed value the pieces created by hand, and will pay for them in appreciation, requests, word of mouth "advertising," thanks, and so on.

I will repost the links to My work if You're interested in reading more:

The End of Entropy - the foundation - read first

The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform - the structure

Here's a simple schematic for drawing on the plenum ("dark"/Zero Point/Radiant/Orgone/...) energy:

The Abundance Paradigm:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silend
''Automatic ass whipe Robot''

I imagine You'll see those coming down the pike! LOL!

Thanks for your input!
edit on 6/18/2011 by Amaterasu because: tags

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
well what kind of society would it be if you have a robot for everything but not sexual gratification? Seems like the ultimate dystopia to me.

It's not that the sex robots won't be there. I just felt that that would be the given. We all want something like that, eh? So no need to go on and on about it here, as I am looking for OTHER things People might want. LOL!

But yeah, that would be dystopian. Hahaha.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join