It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Either Heaven Doesn't Exist, Or Life Is Meaningless

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by unityemissions

Life isn't meaningless. Think of it this way, a red blood cell has a purpose in your body. Millions of them are created every second in your body and they last only 120 or so days. The average human lifespan is say 80 years so those 120 days are a relative blink of an eye. Does one red blood cell matter? Not in the grand scheme of things but as a group, they are vital.

Okay, what does humanity give to nature? It's meaningless, lol.

Originally posted by Buddha1098
Or think of a story, you are a letter, in a word, in sentence, in a paragraph, in a chapter of an infinite story called the Universe. You are insignificant because you are tiny, but vital because you are part of everything that is.

Nope, not in the least. Comet comes and wipes out all life on this rock. Life goes on elsewhere in the universe. Never knew we existed. Never cared. Again, it's meaningless.

Humanity's purpose is to experience.

I fail to see the relevance of the comet. You would still be apart of the story of the universe. What difference does it make if anyone else knows about it?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

Got it, la-la land.

Enjoy.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

What you call la la land I call consciousness.

Namaste my friend.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Heaven and Hell are rediculous concepts and disgusting bribes to propose to a human. (also untrue!)

S+F

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WestWood

You know the problem I see is this...

Your heaven is another man's hell.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

According to yourself.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that if "God" exists he has a grudge against me, and, possibly others.

It amazes me how people can worship a being that, at least to me, treats us like garbage no matter how good we try to be.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

No I think you might misunderstood my intention here...

I'' give an example.

A muslim terrorist blows himself up and awaits 72 virgins in heaven. These 72 virgins will face eternity with an idiot. Would they consider their infinity heaven or hell ?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
How about the possibility that heaven or something similar does exist and everyone, good, bad, and the ugly, all go there after death. There is no hell period. No matter what you do in this life you still go to that place referred to as heaven. If you were an evil person on earth after you get to heaven you then realize what an a$$ you were and have some kind of therapy/counseling for your soul. In my world this is how it all goes down.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

That is correct. Why a 'loving god' would create a human being in the first place who he knew would not believe in him and therefore go to hell is barbaric. I don't see why people still think that the god they believe in is a 'loving god'

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Because they see the ultimatum of Christianity as a loving gift.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If people spend their lifetime worrying about heaven, if it exists, and/or are expecting a place called heaven to be one big amazing place, then you are ignoring how great life can be. Life is not meaningless, no matter what your beliefs are.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
How about the possibility that heaven or something similar does exist and everyone, good, bad, and the ugly, all go there after death. There is no hell period. No matter what you do in this life you still go to that place referred to as heaven. If you were an evil person on earth after you get to heaven you then realize what an a$$ you were and have some kind of therapy/counseling for your soul. In my world this is how it all goes down.

This, in my opinion, would be the closest to the truth of the Bible. There is no word in the Bible that can accurately be translated into this eternal flaming hell that we seem to endlessly debate about. The words in the Bible that have been mis-translated into hell are more accurately translated into "the grave". When you die, your body is eventually turned into dust and reincorporated into the earth (the grave).

There is no Heaven currently as I understand it. All who have died in the history of earth are currently "sleeping", so to speak, until the end of time. At that point the dead will be raised (that is, the souls of the dead) and the few people left alive will be transformed in that same moment. Those who were "evil" or "unbelieving" will have no choice now than to believe - it will be literally in their faces. The result will be a change in everyone's hearts (figuratively speaking) and we will all know the truth - that we are all sons and daughters of God (or whatever name you want to give Him/Her). The result is that we all end up in Heaven/Paradise.

Our mortal life is merely an experience for us and perhaps some or all of us have lived many lives just for the different experiences. The Bible is mens accounts of history. When things were good, they believed God was blessing them and when things were bad, they believed they were being punished. Personally I am not sure if God intervenes with what happens on earth at all.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Depends on how you define heaven. I think 'heaven" as thought of today, probably has multiple levels. Even our current existence is one of them. Once you succeed at the earth level you go to the next level. then the next, etc. Where the "heaven" falls in the progression or how many steps needed to get there is anyone's guess. I just believe that when we have learned the lessons we were meant to learn we advance to the next level. Going to church on sunday has nothing to do with it.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Life is meaningless, period. In the grand scale, nothing you or I do will ever make a significant mark on the cosmos. The meaning we get out of life is of our own choosing, and may only mean something to our own hearts, but that doesn't make it any less significant to our selves.

I feel the same way. I see life as inherently meaningless, but that gives me the freedom of giving it my own meaning.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other though.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
This leaves the possibilities to be that heaven doesn't exist, or if it does, it's not all it's cracked up to be or that life is meaningless. Which is it?

The obvious answer is that it doesn't exist.

Also, it's rather humorous that someone is raising these questions based upon a Wikipedia entry.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Heaven is not an equation.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I never said that. I tried to make you understand what I meant the first time.
I assume I failed so I need some time to find the words for it.

What is your definition of heaven exactly ?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm a little confused about the thread title. Shouldn't it say "Either Heaven Exist, Or Life is Meaningless"?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

What is your definition of heaven exactly ?

Could a caterpillar define the butterfly's flight ? Hardly. However it probably could have a glimpse of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join