It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Either Heaven Doesn't Exist, Or Life Is Meaningless

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Saw this on reddit just before, thought it would be a good idea to post it on here:

Ok, so heaven is meant to be a perfect place where "there will be no sickness, no death and no tears (wikipedia)." However, not everyone will get into heaven, if it were to exist people that made it there would have friends and loved ones that didn't; presumably stuck in hell for all eternity.

Thus if heaven is a perfect place where there are no tears it must mean that once people make it to heaven they lose all knowledge of their previous lives, as it can't be a place of eternal happiness if you know that some of those that were closest to you are suffering. This essentially makes our lives meaningless as all our relationships amount to nothing except in so far as we behaved well enough to get our ticket to heaven.

This leaves the possibilities to be that heaven doesn't exist, or if it does, it's not all it's cracked up to be or that life is meaningless. Which is it?

Source

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Life is meaningless, period. In the grand scale, nothing you or I do will ever make a significant mark on the cosmos. The meaning we get out of life is of our own choosing, and may only mean something to our own hearts, but that doesn't make it any less significant to our selves.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

I would argue that life isn't then pointless because you have your entire life to try to bring as many of your loved ones as possible. I think that has a good point that we wont remember the ones we lost though, I agree we can't know what/who we are missing.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Life is meaningless, period.

Heaven exists, period.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Life is relative.

I think it has a point.

However, it certainly feels pretty meaningless. My sentiment is along the lines of Unityemmissions'

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 2-5-2011 by Marulo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

You have to be able to understand your Heavenly family. Now if there was memory then would it sooth YOU to be able to research that family member to see why they feel in vibration to the lower. I think if many were given chance to see why they had what they felt were family in hell they wouldnt want to see why. And once those given chance to see why understood they may request memory wipe process to further ensure they are happy..

Be well

EXISTING

edit on 5/2/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Also Heaven lasts forever, a life that lasted forever would be entirely meaningless, you'd run out of things to do and end up doing the same things an infinite number of times. Brevity is what gives life its meaning, the fact that we know we won't live forever allows us to appreciate the little things in life, most after-life concepts cheapen this life by making it out to be just some sort of test to see if we will choose good or evil.

This post also brings up the idea that some of your loved ones wouldn't make it to Heaven. This is something I've brought up with Christians who believe in a literal Hell. They will spend eternity bowing to the deity who is torturing their loved ones and apparently don't have a problem with that and still consider this being LOVING.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestWood

Heaven exists, period.

edit on 2-5-2011 by Elsek because: (no reason given)

Ignorance exists, period.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The only problem with this hypothesis is that it assumes your thinking and memory will be as imperfect there as it is in mortal life.. Your mindset and your thinking processes will be different in heaven, and so dealing with past memories won't be limited to your old and flawed, plus emotionally sensitive system of thinking..

Of course, this is only my opinion, and my interpretation of what I have read in the bible.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Life is one hundred percent meaningFUL! Its our trials and tribulations on earth that decides whether you're 'worthy' for the passage to heaven.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elsek

Heaven exists, period.

Proof doesn't exist, period.

To say life has or doesn't have a meaning doesn't mean anything because life will have or don't have a meaning whatever you think it has.

This doesn't mean thinking about it is wasting time, it's still a good way to look into our conciseness and open up new ideas

edit on 2-5-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elsek

Heaven exists, period.

It is big of you to admit this openly,, understanding that is the big key to improving

Just being humorous!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Humor is always appreciated on these forums my friend

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
hi
i dont mean to sound rude, i think your possibly goin through a slight depression and questioning your own purpose in life, we all go through that, my advice is just keep reading and learning more whether it be true or false then one day you will think EUREKA im getting somewhere....regards...dave

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Nope, I'm as happy as I could be at this point in my life. I was just reposting in the hope of stirring up a good old debate

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I don't get the all or nothing attitude. Why are the only two options the stereotypical 'heaven' or nothing at all. Maybe its just different than you think. Why the rigid pov?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Life isn't meaningless. Think of it this way, a red blood cell has a purpose in your body. Millions of them are created every second in your body and they last only 120 or so days. The average human lifespan is say 80 years so those 120 days are a relative blink of an eye. Does one red blood cell matter? Not in the grand scheme of things but as a group, they are vital.

Or think of a story, you are a letter, in a word, in sentence, in a paragraph, in a chapter of an infinite story called the Universe. You are insignificant because you are tiny, but vital because you are part of everything that is.

No one will pick out one specific letter in this post, but without out any of them the post is incomplete.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

If heaven does exist, life is meaningless. Life would merely be overshadowed by an infinite and eternal afterlife of perfect happiness...so what's the point of life? Why not just smother innocent children as an act of love to give them a free pass to get into this perfect place?

How does heaven give life any meaning?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by unityemissions

Life isn't meaningless. Think of it this way, a red blood cell has a purpose in your body. Millions of them are created every second in your body and they last only 120 or so days. The average human lifespan is say 80 years so those 120 days are a relative blink of an eye. Does one red blood cell matter? Not in the grand scheme of things but as a group, they are vital.

Okay, what does humanity give to nature? It's meaningless, lol.

Originally posted by Buddha1098
Or think of a story, you are a letter, in a word, in sentence, in a paragraph, in a chapter of an infinite story called the Universe. You are insignificant because you are tiny, but vital because you are part of everything that is.

Nope, not in the least. Comet comes and wipes out all life on this rock. Life goes on elsewhere in the universe. Never knew we existed. Never cared. Again, it's meaningless.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join