It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) just need a little sun? Research confirms Vitamin D Link.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It has been confirmed by Researchers at the University of Oxford that there is a connection.
According to that research, 4,000-8,000 IUs of vitamin D every day could not only help prevent MS but also several types of cancer and Type 1 diabetes.

I have seen many people hear whine about MS but they never seem to do any research on their condition.

One study was done 2006 !

5 years later most MS sufferers are still ignorant plus their stuck in the rut ignorant "doctors" .

I wonder what what MS sufferers do in their spare time?

Is it true that the famous author Terry Prachett is suffering from Alzheimer's which recent research says is linked to vitamin B and D deficiency and recent study proved how it could be slowed by taking a megadose of B vitamins at minimal cost.

What did Terry Prachett do?

Resign himself to it and threw money at Alzheimer's Research Trust drug research!

And filming a programme chronicling his experiences with the disease for the BBC!

So he could be even more famous or improve his book sales with the free publicity?

I was tempted to send him an email about this research once but i realized that these rich and famous people are enclosed by minders and security guards who edit all their mail so i never bothered.

These people because they are rich and famous tend to think they are invincible and never listen to anyone except the brown nosing sycophants who hang around them.

Anyway here is the research:-

www.naturalnews.com...
edit on 2-5-2011 by beckybecky because: elaboration

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

Thank you for that.

I was 'diagnosed' (anyone with this disease knows why i bracket that) about two years ago now. It is very mild and has not progressed but has still had quite an impact on my life.

I immediately suspected the Vitamin D connection. Not even a year before my symptoms progressed I found out I was VERY low on D and took mega doses for quite some time. At the time of my MS diagnoses I was still not at normal levels.

Being the person that I am (I never just accept a medical answer, I always research every aspect I can think of. It has made a major difference at times), I immediately started reading up on D and possible connections. I won't go into it all, but it makes so much sense, right down to where I live and the huge amount of people getting it around here. (lots of cold, damp, grey days)

I have stocked up on Vitamin D 5,000iu (over the counter now) and make sure my kids take them too.

Thank you for the reminder though, I need to go take a handful right now. It is raining again outside!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Very interesting thank you! I am forwarding to all family members!
I am also in the gray rainy coastal NW. I found the vit D helps with a down mood also just like the sun does. I have only been taking 2400 sometimes 3400 if i am depressed! I get no sun most of the year!

The single most important fact anyone needs to know about vitamin D is how much nature supplies if we behave naturally, e.g., go into the sun. Humans make at least 10,000 units of vitamin D within 30 minutes of full body exposure to the sun, what is called a minimal erythemal dose. Holick MF. Environmental factors that influence the cutaneous production of vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995 Mar;61(3 Suppl):638S–645S. Vitamin D production in the skin occurs within minutes and is already maximized before your skin turns pink.

The American Academy of Pediatrics, which recently updated its vitamin D guidelines, now recommends that infants, children, and teens should take 400 IU per day in supplement form.
I bet all the computer and TV now contributes to the problem, they say most USA kids are low in D.

www.livescience.com...
edit on 2-5-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

For vitamin d deficiency to be rectified you must take co-factors.

all the research is in one place for vitamin d.

it is called the vitamin d council.

recommended 5000 i.u daily minimum. 40000 maximum oral daily intake. injection up to 300000 i.u.

it is thought vitamin d also inhibits an inflammatory response by the body hence its success against swine flu flu,tb,pneumonia,etc.

It has some case studies.

The most interesting case study about a child with autism after a vaccine injection being reversed after megadose vitamin d therapy over 6 months.

Click on research for an alphabetical list.

I feel very sorry for all those parents with vaccine damaged children who will never know this and suffer their whole lives and the life of the child condemned to misery until their dying days.

it has all the scientific research papers in one place plus translation for ordinary joe.

google it.

or

www.vitamindcouncil.org...

You can join its mailing list.
edit on 2-5-2011 by beckybecky because: MORE INFO.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
to test your vitamin D levels they must test for both ,25-hydroxyvitamin D2 AND 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 levels

95% of doctors just test for only ,25-hydroxyvitamin D2

The Over the counter vitamin D supplements provide cholecalciferol, also referred to as 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3

i have Sarcoidosis and if they don't do both test i can end up in the hospital. from overload.

Vitamin D dysregulation

Sarcoidosis frequently causes an increase in vitamin D production outside the kidney.[25] Macrophages inside the granulomas convert vitamin D to its active form, resulting in elevated levels of the hormone 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and symptoms of hypervitaminosis D that may include fatigue, lack of strength or energy, irritability, metallic taste, temporary memory loss or cognitive problems. Physiological compensatory responses (e.g., suppression of the parathyroid hormone levels) may mean the patient does not develop frank hypercalcemia. This condition may be aggravated by high levels of estradiol and prolactin such as in pregnancy, leading to hypercalciuria and/or compensatory hypoparathyroidism.

I can and do show very low levels of ,25 D but at the same time the test for 1,25 D will be high.

Vitamin D overdose causes hypercalcemia, and the main symptoms of vitamin D overdose are those of hypercalcemia: anorexia, nausea, and vomiting can occur, frequently followed by polyuria, polydipsia, weakness, nervousness, pruritus, and, ultimately, renal failure. Proteinuria, urinary casts, azotemia, and metastatic calcification (especially in the kidneys) may develop.[75] Vitamin D toxicity is treated by discontinuing vitamin D supplementation and restricting calcium intake. Kidney damage may be irreversible.

Individuals at particular risk include those with hyperparathyroidism, kidney disease, sarcoidosis, tuberculosis, or histoplasmosis.

These people MUST be tested for BOTH ,25-hydroxyvitamin D2 AND 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 levels

Neurosarcoidosis can be misdiagnosed as Multiple sclerosis (MS) it happens.
www.ajronline.org...

edit on 2-5-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Overload from vitamin d ?

really?

any case studies?

how many were killed by vitamin d?

we are not discussing sarcodoisis and the human body does not manufacture vitamin d.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky
reply to post by ANNED

Overload from vitamin d ?

really?

www.inspire.com...
www.inspire.com...
www.inspire.com...

its a medical fact and proven

any case studies?

www.inspire.com...

killed not many but there have been a number that have gone into renal shutdown and are now on dialysis.
other have spent time in the hospital ICUs till things got cleared up.

we are not discussing sarcodoisis and the human body does not manufacture vitamin D.

you may like to push your latest craze and tell everyone they need Vit D but its not for everyone.

Yes the human body does not manufacture Vit D in Sarcoidosis our Granulomas (tumors)produce VIT D.

i posted this as a warning.
a number of people with sarcoidosis are asymptomatic.
If you start having strange medical problems when taking vitamin D you need to be screened for Sarcoidosis.

this

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I have never met a sarcodosis person ever.it is very rare.instead of hijacking my thread about MS why don't you start one of your own titled sarcodosis and vitamin d?

your links are largely anecdotal pieces about standing about in the sun. i did not see thousands of deaths from vitamin d and cancer or sarcodosis as you promised.

we are talking about MS only.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
WOW, this is interesting. I'd love to know how I developed the disease after living in South Africa for 8 years, all the while getting plenty of sunshine.

The truth of the matter is that no one knows what causes MS, but that doesn't stop reports like this from surfacing every month or 2 that try to link it to something else.

Infact, I remember reading once that adolescents that moved to warmer and sunnier climates were more at risk of developing MS. So which is it? I take it all with a pinch of salt.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

Vitamin d needs co-factors.so you might be getting plenty of sunshine but those co-factors will prevent you raising your levels.

look it up in the vitamin d council website.

your diet or lifestyle or some genetic predisposition might mean your lacking these.

also parasites inside you will excrete toxins inside you.south africa is full of these horrible creatures.this could bea secondary cause of your MS which is curable by the way by using the ultimate parasite zapper.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

i will look into your research but i use marijuana for my symptoms and i seem to get along fine in my day to day chores. i try to use natural remedies for my condition as drug companies just want to cash in with false statements of cures.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gazzachel

hemp oil with THC i understand has a broad range of health uses as you mention but Corporate Interests don't want you to.

have you watched the Rick simpson tory run from the cure on youtube? ....

best use of an hour of your time ever.so many people who used it had their cancer stop or cured.

but Corporate Interests are trying to discredit it.the hemp paste must contain THC.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Research confirms people with MS are vitamin D-deficient.

Research also confirms that most of the Western population is Vitamin D-deficient.

Most of the Western population does not have MS.

And the OP's source will sell you a bunch of books, and even some Vitamin D.

I suggest searching the posts of the OP and you may see the intelligence of the presenter (and one great example of bigotry and bias) before anyone takes this as a credible source and their great hope for a cure.

How many MS patients does the OP know personally? Know anyone that has tried this regimen? FYI, I do. It is no cure.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I also have sarcoid and I NEVER knew that! That explains why I have such a reaction to Vit D pills!
Wow. Doctors out here are useless.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lakesidepark
Research confirms people with MS are vitamin D-deficient.

Research also confirms that most of the Western population is Vitamin D-deficient.

Most of the Western population does not have MS.

NEW Research Explains 61% of Multiple Sclerosis Cases

articles.mercola.com...

Another study today confirms the link and shows that vitamin d plus glandular fever are the main cause of MS.

read it everyone.

don't listen to people who have a vested interest in more people getting MS so they can peddle their expensive horrible patented drugs which don't work.

remember vitamin d is free from the sun.

you can even install low level uv lamps in the house.

Using English national Hospital Episode Statistics, they obtained the prevalence of MS and infectious mononucleosis (caused by the Epstein-Barr virus) during the seven-year period from 1998 to 2005. The UVB intensity data was collected from the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

After evaluating the relationships between these three variables: MS prevalence, Epstein-Barr virus prevalence, and UVB intensity, they found that UVB exposure alone could explain 61 percent of the variations of MS cases across England. When they combined UVB exposure and incidence of glandular fever, 72 percent of the variations could be explained.

so you see actual scientists have published this.

bad news for you.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Once again Becky, an analogy, but not hard scientific proof.

Here's another:

All of MS patients are human.
Therefore being human is a risk factor.

Show the statistics of the population that are Vitamin-D deficient that do NOT have MS. It is also close to 61%...its like saying all MS patients have blood in their veins. Means nothing.

THis is NOT to say adding vitamin D is not beneficial. It is. And it will help those that are deficient, and maybe enough to reduce relapse and episodes of MS. Any improvement in the physical condition of MS patients helps to reduce relapses.. But it is NO cure.

And no, I have no interest in promoting big pharma. I only have an interest is not seeing more friends die or become more injured as a result of following misguided therapies, from misguided people with (and this is very gentle compared to what I would like to say) 'misguided' ideas and personal opinions warped by bigotry and bias.

I will follow your threads and responses, if only to insure that more people are not hurt by your ideas, even if it is a good one - because even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then, but the pig is still blind. Prove an open mind and dispose of your warped opinions. Then your 'research' may become more credible.

I dare you to take a poke at the other response to one of your posts in another thread. The basis is the same - misguided people promoting dangerous concepts that they have little understanding of except what they read in alternative medicine websites.

Share your credentials and your personal experience. I did share just a little bit, and at great risk. My opposition to your ideas come from experience and life, as well as being a lab rat since I was able to walk (which was severely delayed BTW, hence my experiences begin very young). And, from your obvious bias and lack of true RESEARCH demonstrated in the other thread.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
1) If I was a 'shrill' for Big Pharma, I could pay my mortgage this month. This is simply an ACCUSATION. A very bitter accusation if I may say, and a bit beyond what i would expect from a reasonable rational person. If you don't like my arguments and facts, present some of you own.

2) And the JAMA facts do not count. Baseless numbers without references. Why did they die? Overdose? Terminal Illness? Drug Reactions? And frankly they are not 'my drugs' nor did I 'Kill' anyone. A bit over the top and once again an ACCUSATION. More grade-school than educated adult if you ask me.

How many people die because they believe the way you do? They believe all doctors are shrills for Big Pharma, so they choke down their colloidal silver and megadose their Vitamin D, read your alternative medicine websites, and try all the stuff, only giving up and seeing the doctor when they are too far gone? Or (like me - at one time) they believe your fallacy about a 'lifestyle' disease and therefore think they are immune, then get sick and die (once again, almost like me)?

I could ask how many teenagers you kill each year with your opinions of 'lifestyle' disease with no research into the mechanisms that transmit the disease (which is a conspiracy, as I noted in another one of my posts, since there are more and more 'natural males' entering the age of sex due to a 20-year leftist campaign to ban circumcision and removal of Medicaid coverage to pay for it, therefore insuring it will be more of a hetero disease in the US - funny just like it has been in Africa for 30 years...).

And once again, I post for others to learn...I don't even expect to educate you or even sway your opinion on anything, since little of it is based on fact anyway, all is based on 'poor' analogy that is easy to refute.

Quit the accusations and try some real facts, not unreferenced numbers and analogies.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

killed not many but there have been a number that have gone into renal shutdown and are now on dialysis.
other have spent time in the hospital ICUs till things got cleared up.

we are not discussing sarcodoisis and the human body does not manufacture vitamin D.

you may like to push your latest craze and tell everyone they need Vit D but its not for everyone.

Gosh, this made me think about a bunch of research on MS that I did back in 2003 when my mother was diagnosed. Vitamin D & milk -- I wanted to figure out the "cause" of MS to make sure that I never got it, even if she did.

So I went searching on the net for Global Statistics on MS, only to find out something unique:

1. There are virtually no cases (or very few cases) of MS in Japan, China and North Korea where they drink rice & soy milk and don't drink cows milk.

At first I thought it was genetic, but South Korea does drink cow's milk and has a large number of MS cases unlike their North Korea rice/soy milk drinkers and North & South Korea have the same genetics. So I went digging further.

2. There are less cases of MS among sheep's milk and goat's milk users, compared to their cow's milk counterparts.
3. The number of cases of MS, directly corresponded with cow's milk consumption. ie. Switzerland and Wisconsin who have the highest cow dairy consumption also had the highest rates of MS.

And then in my digging, I found that it is possible to put MS into full remission, no matter which of the 4 types of MS you have (but you have to eliminate all cow's dairy from your diet).

1. The most remarkable was a Canadian teenage boy (wheelchair bound by MS) who's father was a doctor. He was put on what is called the "Paleolithic Diet" which eliminates all cow dairy from the diet and goes back to a hunter and gatherers diet-- wild game, beans, fruits, nuts and things that could be gathered. PLUS-- he boosted his immune system with vitamins. (rather than trying to inhibit it) It took about 2 years on the Paleolithic Diet and he was able to walk again and ever since-- his MS has been in full remission.

www.mult-sclerosis.org...
Roger MacDougall's Paleolithic Diet - diagnosed in 1953 with MS and in full remission since his diet change

Also Matt Embry was the teenage boy from Canada with MS on the Paleolithic Diet. His father is Dr. Ashton Embry in Canada who works with MS patients. Dr. Ashton Embry's website is...
www.direct-ms.org...

2. The other diet isn't up on the net anymore or I can't find it now. It was a slightly different diet attempted by a former Mr. Universe who wound up with MS. He changed to an all vegan diet and eliminated all dairy. A bit more extreme than the Paleolithic Diet. At least you can still eat meat in the Paleolithic Diet.

But it got me thinking....do it an easier way. Be like Japan, China & North Korea and just eliminate all cow dairy from your diet-- drink soy and rice milk instead. But that isn't simple either. A lot of foods have dairy in it even if they don't say it on the label. Even McDonald's french fries have dairy in them-- and they got sued by the lactose-intolerant for not labeling their fries as having a milk ingredient. But I suppose to be fully successful, it's not just dairy elimination, but also vitamin immune system boosters.

So when reading all this about Vitamin D. It makes me wonder. A lot of people might make the mistake of buying dairy products with Vitamin D-- which could make their symptoms worse.

I always figured that the cause of MS -- was the cow's milk. After all, if those in countries that do not consume cow's milk have virtually no cases and to put MS in full remission ONLY THOSE who eliminated all cow dairy succeeded-- then the disease-causing agent causing MS would have to be in the milk.

I figured it was some age old milk-prion. After all, prions attack neurons and replace the proteins in the neurons with abnormal proteins. Same would be true of MS-- some disease-causing agent (prion) is attacking the myelin sheaths of neurons and replacing them with an abnormal protein. Then when the immune system detects the abnormal protein in the myelin sheath-- the immune system destroys the myelin sheath with the abnormal protein that is not supposed to exist in the human body (and any possible prions changing protein structures in neurons).

So... eliminate the dairy and boost--- BOOST the immune system. That's what all the different people did who put their MS into full remission did-- no matter what unusual new diet they picked-created.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

The Pacific Northwest has the highest incidents of MS in the country, statistically significant which would lead you to support the sunshine theory. When I lived there my doctor persribed every patient large doses of vitiman D as a matter of course.

The PNW also has the highest incidents of aufsburger's disorder for some reason

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join