It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand Quadriplegic dons robotic exoskeleton and walks again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

New Zealand Quadriplegic dons robotic exoskeleton and walks again

www.kurzweilai.net

The custom-fitted robotic exoskeleton has allowed Dave MacCalman, who sustained a spinal cord injury diving into a river while in the United States on a basketball scholarship, to take his first steps in more than 30 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
We get so used to Breaking News about the trails and tribulations of our little blue marble, that it seems important to point out some good things that are happening around the world.

While Medical professionals struggle against the unknown to develop ways to reconstitute tissue and more; some biomedical engineers found a more immediate way to help those who have lost their ability to move voluntarily....

Just goes to show you, we may wax cynical about many things in this world, but there is always a better reason not to give up hope.

www.kurzweilai.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Finally a heart warming story - he looks so happy.
Amazing what science can do when its put to the
good. S @ F

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
That is just amazing, it some what reminds me of Robocop. It also has some similarities to the Japanese robot, the name escapes me at the moment but its something like Asimo. It must be better than a wheelchair, and with a bit more access.
edit on 2-5-2011 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
What an amazing invention. Wouldn't this not only let him be mobile, but also be giving his leg muscles a slight workout, possibly preventing muscle atrophy? So many possible applications for something like this!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
What an amazing invention. Wouldn't this not only let him be mobile, but also be giving his leg muscles a slight workout, possibly preventing muscle atrophy? So many possible applications for something like this!

I thought the same. The unfortunate people who can't move about have to concern themselves with the state of their organs and general atrophy of the musculature. This will keep their circulation (and endocrine system) moving nicely - I think.

Thanks everyone for taking a brief moment to experience something other than mayhem and grief.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ouch $150,000 price tag on that bad boy though...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i like the idea, but it really looks like a pain in the ass.

How do you expect them to get in and out of cars? Instead of just hopping of the chair in, they would need a good 15 minutes at least to get in and out.

still waiting for cyborg legs...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I think that if it works out, the cost might be greatly offset by the conditions and treatments a person needs after being immobile for decades. Plus (maybe) the price might come down if more of them are produced...

But then... if the medical/insurance industry has it's way, this wont ever be available to anyone who can't afford to have it custom made (big pharma profits first - you know.)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

S & F

Thanks for the well needed non Gloom and Doom story.
It's greatly appreciated. I too think they'll need to get the cost way down before others could take advantage of this technology.

I hope it keeps developing.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
That is just amazing, it some what reminds me of Robocop. It also has some similarities to the Japanese robot, the name escapes me at the moment but its something like Asimo. It must be better than a wheelchair, and with a bit more access.
edit on 2-5-2011 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

Yep they certainly do remind me too fo Asimo. Its amazing they can make robots and such but even more amazing that they can integrate them into human life.

My mom has a cochlear implant, another marvel of human/technology integration. While they dont translate sound into perfect hearing, a person with one of these will be able to do everything from watch TV to talk on the phone again being deaf.
Link on cochlear implants:
www.nidcd.nih.gov...

The amazing ASIMO! lol This thing creeps me out:

Dean Kamen's Robotic Arm (whats the future? ASIMOS or Dean Kamens?)
www.wired.com...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Awsome story of success!!

However, no mention of it anywere in our national papers, or news...?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Totally awesome, hopefully it can really take off and evolve into this very thin, sleak solid walking skeleton that becomes a common site throughout society.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

that is pretty cool . hmm i wonder though . can the human technology of today give sight to a man who was born blind by replacing his eyes with cybernetic eyes ? hmm

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki1LouAmardd2Revan3
reply to post by Maxmars

that is pretty cool . hmm i wonder though . can the human technology of today give sight to a man who was born blind by replacing his eyes with cybernetic eyes ? hmm

yes,technology can help the blind to see

edit on 2-11-2012 by modified device because: because eeeeeeeeeee should be ee

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by modified device

hmm . if we are able to do that now with the technology to day it is not to far out there to think we could be able to make a full working cybernetic body for people who's body are no longer working but have a fully active brain . to give them there life back . and then some yes?

new topics

top topics

join