It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Homeland Security Provided With Data on Arab-Americans by Census Dept.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
That "slippery slope" of personal freedoms and privacy continues to become steeper and more well-greased as the U.S. Census Bureau has provided data on Arab-Americans to the Department of Homeland Security. Echoes of the internment of the Japanese-Americans during World War II are ringing loud and clear as similar efforts of tabulation began that horrific chapter in history.

www.nytimes.com
The tabulations were produced in August 2002 and December 2003 in response to requests from what is now the Customs and Border Protection division of the Department of Homeland Security. One set listed cities with more than 1,000 Arab-Americans. The second, far more detailed, provided ZIP-code-level breakdowns of Arab-American populations, sorted by country of origin. The categories provided were Egyptian, Iraqi, Jordanian, Lebanese, Moroccan, Palestinian, Syrian and two general categories, "Arab/Arabic" and "Other Arab."

Hermann Habermann, deputy director of the Census Bureau, said such cooperation was standard practice. "We are required to provide information to other federal agencies," he said. "This is not a cabal calculating secret tabulations."

But Mr. Habermann also expressed concern over application of the data, adding: "We do worry about how information will be used. However, we have not been given the authority to determine which organization gets which information."

(New York Times, free subscription may be required)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When inept politicians are unable to fathom efficient means of tracking those who we know would do us harm, they revert to figuring out how to track those they fear "might do us harm". If only similar efforts were focused on finding and tracking the real threats, rather than vague wars and hunts for shadows in friendly corners.

My ATS Fellows, what do you make of this?

dp

Related News Links:
seattlepi.nwsource.com
www.ajc.com

[edit on 30-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
that's just a stone through away from the census department providing the names and addresses and specific details of all of the people they have data on. I guess I was right last time they came around to tell them to get the hell off my property, all information is privet and used to calculate where federal and state funds are needed my arse. But than again these days saying the government lies is like saying there's cheese in Wisconsin.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
J0HNSmith,

You are right, in my case I don't own any information to them either I work for a living I don't qualify for any government help so actually they never come to my neighborhood now that I am thinking about it.

But if they do I will tell them to take a hike.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This sounds somewhat familiar with something that happend a long time ago:

Quote: 'The Nazi Census documents the origins of the census in modern Germany, along with the parallel development of machines that helped first collect data on Germans, then specifically on Jews and other minorities....'

www.temple.edu...

Let's hope that it doesn't go the same way.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I guess the question is, does this really help the situation or does it just inflame it. Whatever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty". I'm just glad I'm not a visible minority(especially Arab) because the way things are going life is going to get more difficult for those minorities. You're always under the watchfull eye and frankly it disgusts me.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Those sneaky homeland security people ---

www.islam-online.net
Christiana Halsey, a spokeswoman for US Customs and Border Protection, said the data sharing was made to help the agency identify in which airports to post signs and pamphlets in Arabic.

"The information is not in any way being used for law enforcement purposes. It's being used to educate the traveler. We're simply using basic demographic information to help us communicate US laws and regulations to the traveling public."

The information was compiled in August 2002 and December 2003, in response to requests from what is now the Customs and Border Protection division of Homeland Security, according to the daily.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm certain they have the best interests of Arab-Americans at heart. (I wonder how many don't read English)

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
During the WWII the German Americans went through a similar situation. I was not born during this period of our American history but I bet the German American community went through a similar situation.
The Germans living in America becuasue they happened to be white in color were not treated as minorities but they were treated as such.
Eventually those Muslims who intend to harm our way of life will be weeded out of the Muslim communities scattered throughout our Nation.
The census is a means by which he can determine the demographics of Muslims seeded in our country.
We did not deport the Germans and we won't discriminate against the Muslims but we most keep a watchful eye on there activities.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The USA did not deport the germans in WWII but they put the japanese in concentration camps.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
We should not be looking out for the 'interest' of the Arab American. We should however be looking at the better good of all Americans, as a whole. We have to monitor those people who we determine as the a threat to America to carry out a terrorist attack. Now, if it was John O'MAlley and his 12 brothers from Cork county who put the plane thought the towers, please stop every guy out there with red hair and freckles(unless you're black irish.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If you strive to become an American identify with America. For those who want us to conform to there customs and social moreaes please leave our Nation. We as true Americans have died for others to obtain there own freedom.
Now we are top heavy with people seeking our shores to escape political, reilgious and economic striff. Due to influx of unwanted immigration we have allowed thousands of people to settle on our land that have no intent on becoming true Americans.
This same group of individuals are being used against us by politicans to undermine our very way of life and lable those who speak out against them as racist.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
If you strive to become an American identify with America. For those who want us to conform to there customs and social moreaes please leave our Nation. We as true Americans have died for others to obtain there own freedom.
Now we are top heavy with people seeking our shores to escape political, reilgious and economic striff. Due to influx of unwanted immigration we have allowed thousands of people to settle on our land that have no intent on becoming true Americans.
This same group of individuals are being used against us by politicans to undermine our very way of life and lable those who speak out against them as racist.

Are you a indian? If you are, then you are realy a true american, and you have reason not to like the immigrants.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Are you a indian? If you are, then you are realy a true american, and you have reason not to like the immigrants.

Quite true. If you are a Native American, you have every right to be angry. If you are not, then shut up, because you are nothing more than the descendant of immigrants
I personally am the descendant of Irish immigrants. Now, nowadays, irish arent persecuted in the USA, but back "in the day"...boy how were they hated!
We are a nation of nothing but immigrants, excepting the Native populations of course. And, if you had actually studied history, you would know that most of the immigrants did not "conform". They stood out. They were persecuted. They were often attacked.
Nowadays, they (for the most part) aren't.
But now we have this whole mess with the Arab-American population, and what the Census Bureau has done. This is one step away from what happened back in WW II (and previous to that as well).
O wait, no. This is *exactly* what happened back during (and before) WWII
This is active racial profiling

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

During the WWII the German Americans went through a similar situation. I was not born during this period of our American history but I bet the German American community went through a similar situation.

You state it as a fact, then you guess in the next sentence? :wtf:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
To take this to the whole who belongs here and who doesn't level is overdone and tired. Some of the comments posted seem silly due to the fact that the story is supposed to be about racial profiling but the Homeland Security Act has proved to me to be more of an intelligence profiling act and that is not racial or location sensitive is it? Or have I missed some sort of brainwashing technique again? If people could ever begin to look past themselves and their pasts they just might have a future but I am not going to hold my breath and rely on others to get there first since the only real effect that I can have is on myself first.......Wonder if there was a poll on here as to who feels like they are being profiled or who doesn't would we see quite a diversefied response? Probably, But that is just a guess.Oh, and before you claim to be one thing or another better check your family tree. Remember what Hitler's point was supposed to be was to create a pure race so what does that say in itself........ there is not a pure race so get over it.....get on with it ....... you might be suprised where you will go if you aren't weighted down with false ideas and belief systems. You might even figure out who you really are.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Come on people! To the people comparing this to treatment of Germans and Japenese. We were not attacked by Japanese or Germans on Sept 11th. ALL 19 HIGHJACKERS WERE Arabic from where? Saudi Arabia!!! And i don't recall there being a category for Saudi- Americans in the Census. Did i over look that or are we letting Saudis do what ever they want.

This is not a time to be carful with peoples "feelings". The US was attacked and we need to be able to keep on eye on ALL immigrants from the Middle East, especially ALL Muslims. Sorry to say it but thats reality. I don't hear enough Muslims here in the US standing up saying they do not believe what the Muslim extremist believe. Come on Muslims, stand up and let America know you want these terrorist dead. All Americans need to unite; all races, religions, and cultures need to stand together and let the world know we will not give in to the terrorist.

OR-

If i were President, i would close ALL borders, become self sufficent, and do only what is good for America. Not what will help a third world country, they don't appreciate it anyway. Just my opinion

Granted, it would not be possible to close all borders and become self sufficent but it would be nice.

[edit on 2-8-2004 by AntiPolitrix]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Are you sure the terrorist where the ones the authorities said they where?

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Quite true. If you are a Native American, you have every right to be angry. If you are not, then shut up, because you are nothing more than the descendant of immigrants

Not sure about the, because I am of Irish descent and my relatives died and busted their asses creating this nation along with other immigrants from Europe, dying and serving in WWI and II and Korea and Vietnam. THey were heavily persecuted and looked upon as simple laborers or drunk police men in the 20's. I feel we have a great voice because we builtthe nation. I feel that the IRish are on par wioth the slaves of the South. They had plantation owners, the irish had foreman that would work them 16 hours with no food. Look it up in the history books....

There are stereotypes, and there is profiling. Don't fit a stereotype and you won't be profiled, end of discussion. and if you don't like the way America is handling the situation. pack you turban or ball cap or yamulke(?) or kilt and go the hell home and see how nice your life is. This is America.

top topics

join