It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF you can only take one tool....Make it an AXE!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

What is your opinion on reinforced plastic handles on an Axe like this one? I agree with you that Steel handles are the best but im not sure where Plastic stands in relation to the rest.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I've got a pretty big hatchet and I can do just about everything with it and use it as a hammer, self defense, easier/lighter to carry, quicker to swing, ect. I'd go with that

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
An axe is a very useful tool in experienced hands, but in a survival situation you'd be much better off using "Squaw wood" (i.e. dry limbs, branches, etc. that have fallen to the ground). Why expend hundreds of calories cutting and splitting wood when nature provides an abundant supply of ready-to-go fuel? For smaller tasks, a good fixed bladed knife or a Swiss Army knife will do with less likelihood of seriously injuring yourself.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius

What is your opinion on reinforced plastic handles on an Axe like this one? I agree with you that Steel handles are the best but im not sure where Plastic stands in relation to the rest.

Lets keep in mind one thing.... everything breaks...survival is all about thinking ahead, what to do when this go wrong...everything will eventually break...a steel handle however is much less likely to give up than will wood or plastic...

while your axe looks handy I would worry about that to do if the handle did break...
it would be much easier to hand carve out a wood replacement for a standard axe head....simply cut a notch in a limb to fit.... that design would require you to wrap that head around a handle... not the best choice...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Thankyou, very good point, I will keep that in mind whilst looking for an Axe. Ray Mears recommends the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe as a great all rounder, only £55 as well.

Your thoughts?

Thankyou in advance

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

now thats more like it and at a good price too...
good find

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join