It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF you can only take one tool....Make it an AXE!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Not a hatchet but a good full size AXE!

Besides chopping you can dig with an axe, you can hunt with an axe, if it's sharp enough you can skin and cut with your axe... perfect tool in a "Zombie Apocalypse" flip it over and you can hammer with the head, why there must be a thousand uses for a good quality axe... so don't leave home without it...

you don't one with a wooden handle, in very cold weather they become brittle, when it's dry the axe head will loosen up. let's not talk about what it does to a wooden handle if you make to many misses!!! Fiberglass handles will start to de-glaze and splinter when they get old...

Look for one with a Metal handle... over the past 20 years I have carried my Estwing Camper's Ax - 26" pictured above... Home Depot carries em for just under $40 so it's cheap enough to own, yet pricey enough to know you got your hands on a real tool...

well that's my tip for this afternoon... Happy Bush Crafting

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I think if I had to choose one tool it would be a good machete...

but to each their own...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

I guess it depends on where you live...
here we have hardwoods... your machete might tackle a few smaller branches but when you got a big job.
Building a shelter, blocking wood, making shakes, fitting logs together yes even making feather cuts (Kindling)... I'll pick up and axe... A lot less work with far better results

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sema sema

Well that goes without saying...
but we both know an Axe is a lot cheaper than anything with a 32E chest right?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
thats for sure and it dont answer back, moan and hell yeah the axe would do more work than her left to its own devices, aha

but the thing being i may starve or die of some ilness due to no shelter, but i will die on the job lmao

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yes. I am on the search for one of those vietnam era army axes.
You can open up a car roof like it's a can opener.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
goto make shore it has a wooden handle search up youtube "axe handle replacement"

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
An axe is a must. If its a weight problem a properly battoned camp hatchet can fill the bill but it takes skill and practice to make them work.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Axes are greatness but I like an all purpose sharpened shovel does the same thing and has multiple uses, short handle of course, Spetznaz has used them for ages and if you know how to use it can be a great defensive tool.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I tend to bring it up often when in this forum , I think I would go with this instead of an axe:

Not much that an axe can do that a kukri cannot, its easier to carry, and, in my opinion, a better defensive weapon.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Your kukri is nice but you cant flip it over and use it as a hammer... it does not double as a wedge... true you can dig with it... but the axe will give you more leverage... I wounder if you use your kukri as a pry bar will the blade snap??? The axe wont... can you use your kukri as a pull-up bar, to lift you into high places...

Yes your kukri is nice but an Axe is more versatile

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Your kukri is nice but you cant flip it over and use it as a hammer...

You don't need an axe to have a hammer. A rock would be just as effective, or even a piece of timber.

it does not double as a wedge... true you can dig with it... but the axe will give you more leverage... I wounder if you use your kukri as a pry bar will the blade snap???

Depends on the khukri, the Chiruwa Ang Khola from HI is warrantied for use as a prybar, many others have been used as such without breakage, but the full tang are probably best for this type of task. Most of the khuks are 1/4-1/2" thick, nearly as thick as your hatchet.

The axe wont... can you use your kukri as a pull-up bar, to lift you into high places...

no, not as a pull-up bar. At least now how I envision you would. However, I can jump higher than I could reach with anything shorter than a fullsize axe anyway.
I suppose, if you have an area with mostly hardwoods, a good axe would be an improvement over a khukri for most people and the khukri can do most all tasks you could use an axe for better(except maybe heavy chopping). But the khukri makes a more versatile tool for most conditions. Heck, the British Royal Ghurkas still carry them.

Yes your kukri is nice but an Axe is more versatile

Your axe is nice, but a khukri is more versatile.

Edited to add:
If you carry something that can actually cut through heavy woods rather than chop, you wouldn't need an axe anyway and combining a folding saw or hand chain saw with a khukri and a smaller knife like the Mora Clipper, for delicate work, you end up with a very balanced tool kit. Anything you would need the axe for, could be taken care of quicker and more effortlessly with the saw.
I will leave the axe for the Paul Bunions, keep my medium and heavy mauls at home for splitting firewood for my wood stove, and take the more versatile and lighter khukri/saw/knife combo for the field.
edit on 1-6-2011 by PplVSNWO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I always enjoy OP's threads, Good weapons a description and pics.

Good vibes your way OP.

That axe looks awesome, we've always had a wood fire in my house, so we've always had a good axe for cutting logs etc I plan to move out soon, wont have a log fire, but definetly plan on buying a good axe, for home defence & as suggested in this thread, its always useful for an apocalypse situation !

Gonna make sure i purchase a good knife & a good baseball bat (preferably a metal one) Cant have too many objects for home defence in a country where gun laws are so strict.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by THEwTRUTH

That is great, if you can make replacement handles, but the metal handle will last significantly longer if you take care of it. I have had 4 axe handles break on me, none over 10 years old, with very light use. But my newer axe (similar to DB's) has survived 4 years of heavy use (meaning two plus cords split a year).

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Fiberglass handles are no good either...
they might last longer in theory... but if it gets left out in the weather...over winter... that handle will splinter and shatter on you the first time you use it...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Fiberglass over wood though. If you keep it in the shelter with you, it will last a good while, but the metal will last longer.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

prolly what I'd take

Dead-on Tool

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

To short, even at 18 inches. Would be much harder to get as much force per swing as it is with a full axe. Also, That thing is pretty much impossible to repair. I say, follow the KISS rule or, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join