It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebay is stalking me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I recently sold a drum kit and a keyboard on Ebay here in the UK, and I have just logged on to Gumtree. On their home page, there are scrolling adverts for Ebay, selling.....
keyboards and drum kits!
I don't know if it is computer cookies that are telling everyone my selling habits, or something else?

I am not sure I like the idea of my actions being used for targeted advertising campaigns.

Roy.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by royspeed

I think it's just cookies with keyword logging, at worst it's IP logging. I've been having the same problem with Buy, eBay, Amazon and Village Hat Shop. Ironically though I sold a kinect at Christmas time and have yet to see an advertisement for one anywhere on the Internet. I guess big brother knows I don't have an Xbox.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Not sure if it will help but try clearing history and adobe cache. www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
That's just personalized advertisement, works through cookies. They see what you do, save it, so they can show you advertisement that possibly fits what you're looking for.
It works just like with Amazon. Buy some stuff there and soon you'll get an E-Mail from them, where they advertise items that you could possibly like because of what you bought (Amazon manages to always advertise stuff i already bought there
)

I wouldn't worry about it. They do that with millions of people around the world. They don't stalk you and the people behind ebay (or amazon or anything else) couldn't care less about what stuff one person is interested in

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i wouldnt worry about it unless your wife is getting a load of dating sites coming up.

just go to tools and delete cookies, simple

top topics

join