It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are all the terrorists ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Since 9/11 The US and allied nations have been having a "war on terror" and have been doing a lot of military actions around the world. My question is if these terrorists are so dangerous how come there's been very few if any successsfull attacks in the last decade. I'm not including attacks in Iraq or Afghanistan in my question.

Are the security forces so effective that they manage to stop all attacks ? Or is it a case of there are actually very few extremists and the whole thing been blown out of proportion so the US can do a little bit of geo political engineering. Or are there other reasons i haven't considered ?

I'm curious as to what other people think about this situation.

edit on 2-5-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: typo correction as usual ( ahem)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The terrorists are wearing fatigues, not rags.
Gooooooo Joe! (sarcasm/)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Actually I think there's more terrorrists wearing suits than anything else.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

Yeah well one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter but what im curious about is are these terrorists really so ineffective they can't manage to pull off attacks on foreign nations ? I'm getting suspicious as to the tiny amount of action from groups.
edit on 2-5-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I think more terrorist attacks have been made by non-muslim people. I find it to be a special time where you can personally do a terrorist attack and blame it on the muslims, its that easy.

Where are the terrorist?
Well a terrorist could be living right next door to your home because he/she is about to blow up wal-mart for getting fired

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well since most terrorists back then we're directly employed by the USA to spread fear for easy population control, we don't heard that much about them anymore because the USA puts it's money elsewhere.

Rebels, Resistance.
Government, Tyranny.

It's all a matter of perception, don't forget history is written by winners.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
Since 9/11 The US and allied nations have been having a "war on terror" and have been doing a lot of military actions around the world. My question is if these terrorists are so dangerous how come there's been very few if any successsfull attacks in the last decade. I'm not including attacks in Iraq or Afghanistan in my question.

Are the security forces so effective that they manage to stop all attacks ? Or is it a case of there are actually very few extremists and the whole thing been blown out of proportion so the US can do a little bit of geo political engineering. Or are there other reasons i haven't considered ?

I'm curious as to what other people think about this situation.

edit on 2-5-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: typo correction as usual ( ahem)

Most of em have been killed while fighting in Iraq and Afghan or they made their way down to Somalia to become "pirates". You still got a few kooks running around like the shoe bomber or the whacko in Ft. Hood.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Whirpool

I'm from the UK so no walmart revenge attacks here
Been a lot more Real IRA bombs than islamic extremist bombs over the last few years. I may have sounded naive posating such a question but it does strike me as odd that America in particular has had no serious attack since 9/11. Guess these terrorists are too busy watching American idol and Charlie Sheen's torpedoes of truth

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

Yeah that's possible, In my opinion I think it's all about fear and funding for the military - no enemies means no new weapon contracts or funding for cia operations etc.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by User8911

Yeah that's kind of the perspective I have on the issue but I do think it's shocking that this observation isn't really talked about more. I think the terrorist ( islamic) threat was over years ago and whats going on now is about money, political power and empire building/maintence.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

the only terrorist attacks made now are through the internet. its a cyber war

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Whirpool

Dang james bond's going to be replaced with a MIT graduate with a pizza obsession - well, better than bombs i guess

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

Yeah that's possible, In my opinion I think it's all about fear and funding for the military - no enemies means no new weapon contracts or funding for cia operations etc.

Right now we're fighting an economic war in the middle east. Sadaam was going to start an oil bourse trading in euros. Libya and momar were trying to start up a gold dinar throughout the middle east and africa and trade oil in that. If major countries don't need to hold US currency to purchase oil the us is in trouble.

Your right another boogeyman will need to be created. Jibbyjabber from Iran seems to be the best candidate but he's been hiding out for 8 days as the Iranians are getting tired of him and may toss him to the side. Mooslim Brudderhood could be next up on the list.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

I can only agree to that comment ! Guys in suits have done more damage to society than guy's from the middle east.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

There are terrorists, OBL’s death will not change that or end the so called “war on terror”

It is a fallacy to say that there have been very few terrorist attacks in the last decade, they are increasing globally and the number of deaths is increasing. The reason it may appear that there are “no terrorists” is only because most attacks do not happen in western states due to our efficient intelligence and counterterrorism capabilities. If you compare the statistics from the 1990’s to the 2000’s for both the number of terrorist attempts and number of deaths associated with terrorist attacks you would see that they are still a very real threat.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
well lets do some history shall we... the oldest i remember is from 1987 www.prophetofdoom.net... then there next big year was 1989 www.army.mil... then in 1993 www.adl.org... then 9/11 no need to put link up we all know that one, and then we have present day when where and how is not known that is what they the terrorist want, they do not what us to know when that is and that is there win win on us.
We are our own terrorist, TSA DHS NSA FBI FEMA DOJ all are part of this for they have fallen for the trap,
the trap is there will be one some day that is a given and we must either put up with the trap or let the trap be sprung and let it happen... what i am saying is we have two evils one is set to kill us,
one is meant to take our freedoms which do you prefer?
Death or inconvenience.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Sorry I should have been clearer about attacks on the US and the UK and how there doesn't appear to be many of them considering the state of fear encouraged by the msm. Your're right though about how our freedoms have been eroded by the reaction to the percieved threat of terror. Personally i'd prefer none of the options you have provided

We do need security as there will always be people and groups trying to blow us up but is the current state of alarm appropriate to the threat ? - i think not.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The “fear” is just about raising public awareness if you look into it you will find that the past decade has been the most dangers in terms of terrorism, that suggests more dangerous terrorists. It is an irrefutable fact
edit on 5-5-2011 by kevinunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

I can only agree that while there's a lot of "terrorist" activity in Iraq, afghanistan, Israel etc etc, there have been very few attacks on US, UK and EU states. My opinions sort of changing since i've started this thread and I'm now leaning towards terrorists having plenty of targets of oportunity in the middle east and closer to their operational bases so thats keeping the number of successfull attacks down in the west, possibly. From the research I've done the biggest problem for the UK was always the IRA which has decreased hugely since the peace process took off. As for the United States, as they have much wider political and military interests than the UK it's not surprising they have more enemies. Seems most of the trouble is coming from Islamists, which is a hang over from US involvement in the Afghan/Soviet war of 1979-1989. Seems like once a country gets militarised, it's hard turning back. Thats's the Afghans i mean

I am keeping an open mind so all contributions are gratefully received, it's just something I'm trying to get my head round.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: additions

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

hi, yes I think the threat has been exaggerated. If you want to hear more about this watch the BBC program called "The Power of Nightmares" . Its 3 hours long split into 3 films, the video below will get you started. If your lazy you could start with volume 2

edit on 5-5-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join