It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Manhattan goes wireless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Looks like New York is going to pay 25 mil a year to provide it's citizens wirless abilities through out the Manhattan area. Only thing is they've got people crying about "harmful radiation" and bad reception because of tall buildings.

They are already are wireless in some spots but I guess they're wanting blanket coverage now.

news.independent.co.uk
This is the "hot-Apple" future as foreseen by an agreement signed this week between the city and six telecommunications companies that plan to equip 18,000 lampposts with tiny antennae to ensure the metropolis has almost blanket coverage for cell-phone reception and wireless connectivity

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

It's good that it gives people the ability to take care of business anywhere but bad because it's probably going to hike the NY residence taxes even further to foot the bill. This also may open up a bigger haven for hackers looking to get into peoples computers. I've seen to many documentaries about easy it is to get into a computer via wireless.

The thing that kind of perplexes me is that I got this article from a UK based web. I looked for news about this on google and NY papers but didn't see anything.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
that's weird. i live in new york city and i get perfect reception wherever i am. i don't really see the need for this kind of thing.. the systems good as it is.

-koji K

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I wouldn't sweat it, users are cool. You don't have security, you're fault. I see this as not an issue, no matter where it's writen.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The municipality already has its police and emergency services on wireless, and may have actually had its city staff on wireless connections. Here's the (apparently) company doing this:
www.nycwireless.net...

So it's not something sudden but rather a process that's been going on for years. I believe their initiative is at least 2 years old.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I like WI-FI (wireless Fidelity) all over a city. You can make VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) calls and if you have a computer at home, have the ability to access it while your on the go. That means you can use you're computer from work or store files remotely. Suppose you take a picture with your digital camera. Well, you can just simple directly upload all the pictures to your computer at home via wireless.

Wireless is just great as long as the EM Frequencies aren't harmful and someone how are made secure through AES.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by pfunkarocka]

[edit on 30-7-2004 by pfunkarocka]

new topics

top topics

join