It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Fatal Police Shootings in Australia Today!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Hi All,

Now i understand that police have a difficult job to do. However today in Australia there were two fatal police shootings.

In both incidents the suspect was armed with a knife but both were shot dead... No attempt to use a taser and in one of the incidents they claim that capsicum spray was ineffective. Now for anyone that has ever experianced capsicum spray or similar, it is very effective!! It will stop you in your tracks and all you want to do is run in the opposite direction!

Very sad to see a knife vs gun fight in regard to police.... It seems at times that trigger happy police are to quick to fire a bullet at someone. All these officers were aremed with tasers but on the news tonight the commisioner claimed they thought a taser would be ineffective

So they would rather kill someone than tase them... WTF??

Police fatally shoot man in Melbourne

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f180d26216da.jpg[/atsimg]

A man has been shot dead by two police officers on a busy Melbourne street after he lunged at them with a knife.

Police believe the 30-year-old man from Geelong was involved in a stabbing at a nearby hotel earlier on Sunday evening.

The officers had been called to the Gatwick Hotel in St Kilda about 7.30pm (AEST) after a woman had been stabbed in the back, allegedly by two men. Assistant Commissioner Luke Cornelius said the constables spotted two men matching the description of the attackers as they drove from the hotel about 10pm.

He said the police officers got out of their car and told the men to stop but one of the men advanced towards them with a knife. The officers said the man ignored repeated calls to drop the knife and was shot when he lunged at them.

The man was shot on Grey Street, just one hundred metres from a busy strip of restaurants and pubs on Fitzroy Street in St Kilda.
Paramedics said the man was already dead by the time they arrived at the scene.

Bigpond News AU

Second man shot by police in Melbourne

A man has been shot and wounded by police in inner city Melbourne.

Victoria Police say the man has been taken to hospital with chest wounds after being shot at Windsor on Monday afternoon.

The shooting at the intersection of Bangs Street and High Street comes less than 24 hours after police shot dead a man in nearby St Kilda on Sunday night.

Ambulance Victoria said the man was aged in his 20s.

A 30-year-old man was shot in the head by police in St Kilda on Sunday night after allegedly lunging at two officers with a knife.

Bigpond News AU

Updated

News.com.au

Police shoot man dead in Grey Street, St Kilda

BOTCHED drug deal is believed to have led to the fatal police shooting of a man in a busy St Kilda street last night.

It is believed the victim was armed with a knife and may have been involved in an earlier stabbing.

Police were called to the stabbing at the Gatwick Hotel, in Fitzroy St, about 10.10pm, but the attacker had already fled. They confronted him on Grey St, where it is believed he threatened them with a knife.

Witnesses told the Herald Sun they heard police yelling at the man "several times" before they fired a shot. There was a pause of several seconds and two more shots followed.

It is believed the man was armed with a knife and may have been involved in the earlier stabbing at the Gatwick Hotel.

Homicide detectives and Ethical Standards officers will investigate the shooting.

When asked if the officers were carrying Tazers, Mr Cornelius said only that: "They had the full range of operational safety equipment available to them."

He would not reveal details of whether capsicum spray had been used or how many shots were fired, but said several officers were at the scene at the time of the shooting.

Police also arrested one man and two women in connection with the earlier stabbing, but released no further details surrounding the initial assault.

A New Zealand tourist, Paul, was in the foyer of Coffee Palace Backpackers when he heard the shots fired.

"There were three gunshots, then the body was in the middle of the road, and then everyone else was on the floor and the cops had their guns out making sure no one was moving," he said.

"He was still moving... there were a lot of cops.

"I heard someone screaming ... then they (police) were telling everyone else to get on the ground."

In the USA especially police shooting can be more common but you have to remember that in Australia they are very rare....

It's very sad to see and while i do agree that police needed to take action as the offenders were being violent toward police, if they are armed with tasers then why not use them??

Why kill someone when there is a better alternative whether it be capsicum spray or a taser?

edit on 2-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
In our world (civilian) if you shot a man in the head because he threatened you with a knife you would be charged with all sorts. Posession, excessive force, manslaughter. The list would go on.
But if you live as the big middle finger of the people who run this shizza show called Australia then you'll be commended as doing your job right... police+justice=epic fail
edit on 2/5/11 by spearhead because: toad

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

You should know better..
Tasers are only used on kids,grannies and people in wheelchairs..
If you can stand, they shoot you..

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Saw that in the 'in the rest of the news' segment. Thought only one was fatal though...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BombDefined

It was, but going by the Ch7 news at 6PM ( just aired in Melbourne ) both ended up being fatal...

Unless they had it wrong, i heard about the first one earlier and wasnt planning on posting it but after i heard about two fatal killings within 24hrs i thought it needed a mention.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
NineMSM news report video -

video.au.msn.com...

Sorry as this is an MSM clip i couldn't embed.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Very sad to see a knife vs gun fight in regard to police.... It seems at times that trigger happy police are to quick to fire a bullet at someone. All these officers were aremed with tasers but on the news tonight the commisioner claimed they thought a taser would be ineffective

In some ways I agree with ya mate and I have to say 80% doesn't, What would of happened if a officer was stabbed and died would you be making this post ?

Just remember, ( Cops) put down the knife repeatedly, he doesn't , he moves forward, they are trained to hit vital parts, sorry but that's a given

Do i think they should be trained to shoot at the legs as well, well yes thats where the the other 20% comes from . other then that, speak too someone who has been in that postion and you will hear what i am saying, they too have a family they wish to go home to

Wal

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by auswally

But when they brought in the tasers weren't we told they were for situations like this?
To be used instead of deadly force??

You really have to wonder why they have tasers if not for these situations..

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
Hi All,

Now i understand that police have a difficult job to do. However today in Australia there were two fatal police shootings.

In both incidents the suspect was armed with a knife but both were shot dead... No attempt to use a taser and in one of the incidents they claim that capsicum spray was ineffective. Now for anyone that has ever experianced capsicum spray or similar, it is very effective!! It will stop you in your tracks and all you want to do is run in the opposite direction!

So they would rather kill someone than tazer.

Gday Havick.
Im gunna agree to disagree with you on this one.
From what ive read and what ive heard that the Officers used reasonable force. Its the same law that we have as citizens. That we have the right to use greater or equal force in the act of defending ourselves or even a stranger, as long as the force is deemed fit to the threat. And a drugged out bloke with a knife could be one of those times.
We both know Havick that Cap/ Spray doesn't work on everyone all of the time nore does a tazer, if anything a tazer kills more than guns have of late.
I have never been threatened with a knife, but if someone threated to kill me and had a weapon, well...... i would use that right if i deemed it fit to protect myself or others.
So im with the coppers on this one mate , until i see and hear some more about this.

Thanks Havick007.
Peace mate.
Meathed
edit on 2-5-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Yeah i know what you mean but i am annoyed because they are armed with cap spray, tasers and batons.... they were threatned with a knife and decided a bullet to the head and chest was a better option... so i disagree.

I do understand what you are saying but there could have been a better way..

I believe in peace not death by gunshot. It is not upto the police officer to decide who lives or dies, they are puitting themselves on the same level as criminals in that regard. They should not have the sole power to decide life or death.

We have given them options, by use of tasers and cap spray, that is more than enough to subdue an attcker otherwise those options would never have been considered in the first place.

If they had of used tasers that would have put the suspect down straight away... simple.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by auswally

Thats the whole point though isnt it?

They are trained to kill instead of maim or subdue... does that sound right to you?

Should it be upto the officer to decide who lives or dies? The only thing they should do is whatever possible to subdue and arrest and allow a court to decide the fate of the suspect. We dont even have captial punishment anymore, so it's almost like a loophole in the law of police.

Shoot to kill??

Shoot to arrest?

Taser or lethal weapon?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by meathed

Yeah i know what you mean but i am annoyed because they are armed with cap spray, tasers and batons.... they were threatned with a knife and decided a bullet to the head and chest was a better option... so i disagree.

I do understand what you are saying but there could have been a better way..

I believe in peace not death by gunshot. It is not upto the police officer to decide who lives or dies, they are puitting themselves on the same level as criminals in that regard. They should not have the sole power to decide life or death.

We have given them options, by use of tasers and cap spray, that is more than enough to subdue an attcker otherwise those options would never have been considered in the first place.

If they had of used tasers that would have put the suspect down straight away... simple.

I agree with you on that, that there could have been another way to sort that out.
And i do understand what you are saying, as that why the spray and tazers were introduced, to stop these kind of incidence's.
However the taser doesn't always bring the drugged out knife wielding bloke down all the time, and some time's the suspect Will fight to get up, resulting in death by taser. And i think death by electrocution from taser would have drawn a bigger headline.
And as i said, the spray works on most, but not all. And a man with a knife could gut a man in a blink of an eye with the right knife even with his eye's closed.
I agree to that the officer has the choice in his hand of who live's and die's. But they are putting their live's on the line for others too, so, if i had the choice of my life or the a Knife wielding crim , then im gunna be selfish on this one and choose self preservation if i was them.
And the officer wasn't the only one with a choice mate, the suspects did have a choice to put their weapons down too. So i dont agree.
And i still don't think taser use is just that simple mate, if the person had a heart condition, high blood pressure or High on Drugs, the outcome could have been the same.
As i stated, its a bad hing that happened, but im holding my judgement till i find out more.

Meathed

edit on 2-5-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Both in Victoria.

Don't forget Victorian cops have a reputation of being trigger-happy.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Both in Victoria.

And drug happy...
I've lived around St kilda most of my life..

Those cops are scum of the highest order..

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

It seems at times that trigger happy police are to quick to fire a bullet at someone.

In the USA especially police shooting can be more common but you have to remember that in Australia they are very rare....

So they're trigger happy but shootings are rare?

Way I see it, you can't have both...

Why kill someone when there is a better alternative whether it be capsicum spray or a taser?

Why stab a woman in the back?

Why lunge at the cops with the knife?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
You cannot wound him, because that would be considered torutre and undue suffering. Same as the army.
You either shoot to kill or you disarm and aprehend.

Why dont these people have tasers?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I agree Chad.

It is in situations like these that the Police put their on welfare ahead of the safety of the criminal.
The man had already allegedly stabbed someone, the Police were aware that the dead male was prepared to use his weapon.

Sometimes Police don't have the time or the opportunity to resolve an issue that is in the best interests of the person they are trying to apprehend.

And sometimes people don't behave in a manner that would result in their own best interests being served.
That means, when Police draw their own weapons and order you to put down a knife, you put the knife down.
Seems like an easy way to avoid being shot if you ask me!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

So you tell me Chad...
Why were tasers introduced into Australia ???

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Originally posted by Kryties
Both in Victoria.

And drug happy...
I've lived around St kilda most of my life..

Those cops are scum of the highest order..

I agree too, that Vic cops can be scum, but not all cops are.
So i think to label these cops as trigger happy is just a little premature.
We have all lived around drugged out cops BiB, but we dont that this is the case just yet.
And you know just as well as i do, Australia is changing and changing for the worst, and maybe this time, this act by the cops was justified?

Peace.
Meathed

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Looks like you've already said why they were introduced.

Although I don't recall of hearing about anyone in Australia being tasered whilst being in a wheelchair?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join