It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Qumran: Archeologists Claim Essenes Never Wrote Dead Sea Scrolls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Qumran on the northwest shore of the Dead Sea became famous since 1947 when a number of ancient manuscripts - the Dead Sea Scrolls - were found by Bedouin shepherds in 1947 in nearby caves and where the Essenes are said to have lived.

Qumran: Archeologists claim Essenes never wrote Dead Sea Scrolls

Israeli archaeologists now argue that Qumran "lacks any uniqueness."

Two Israeli archaeologists, Yuval Peleg and Itzhak Magen, have recently completed ten seasons of excavations at Qumran, sponsored by the Civil Administration of Judea and Samaria. These are the most extensive digs since those conducted by Roland de Vaux half a century earlier. Among the finds were numerous pieces of jewelry, imported glass and expensive stone cosmetics containers.

"It's impossible to say that the people who lived at Qumran were poor," said Peleg. "It is also impossible that de Vaux did not see the finds we saw. He simply ignored what didn't suit him."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to Israeli archaeologists, the site that has been called "the oldest monastery in the Western world," was nothing more than an ordinary settlement.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 8-1-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I have read the book on this and am interested to hear what you feel, is being said.

As far as I understand I know that this place is old, and was a special place for people to hide things.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Even today, 98 or 99 percent of scholars still believe that Qumran was an Essene monastery.

The latest research joins a growing school of thought attempting to explode the "Qumran myth" by stating that not only did the residents of Qumran live lives of comfort, they did not write the scrolls at all.

join