It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression foods... no seriously!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Does anyone think that certain foods make u feel depressed? I know it sounds weird but i have found that several hours after drinking energy drinks such as "Red Eye" which has a very high caffine content, i have a serious case of the "blues"... so to speak... a little black cloud... lol... Well anyway, i don't get like a really significant buzz from the caffine or anything.

I have experienced this a few times, especially after drinking energy drinks that contain "Ginseng", so i now stay clear of them. I can drink and eat other foods that contain caffine fine... so i am thinking that it was something to do with where the caffine in the drinks is gotten from e.g. "Taurine" and "Gurana".

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Does anyone think that certain foods make u feel depressed?

Absolutely, foods with a low ph (acidic) put the body in and unhealthy state. The human body is always fighting to maintain homeostasis and that occurs with a neutral ph. Energy drinks are extremely acidic and, therefor, very unhealthy. A good, real, energy drink would be some freshly brewed yerba mate with green tea. Green Tea does contain caffeine but Yerba Mate contains mateine which is supposedly healthier.

You'll definetly find this link interesting...
biomedx.com...

Here is an example of how pH can control. Look around you at society in general. Do you see people getting exhausted, burned out, and quick to anger? Do you see a rise in violence? In part it could be due to the fact that people today lean to an acid pH. As a society we are running hot and fast. How did we get there? We guzzle coffee for breakfast (acid), burgers for lunch (acid), wash it down with king size colas (acid), and have a pizza (acid) for dinner. In fact, with this scenario, you could easily correlate the rise of violence in our society with the increasing number of fast food restaurants on every corner. But I digress. However, this does lead me to the second part of the pH and digestive metabolic equation. pH is under the direct control of what we put into our mouths. Kind of makes sense doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
When you say you don't feel the buzz of coffee, now thats scarry. Are you a caffein addict.

Duration of sleep may make one depressed. Not eating anything or eating too much also has a side effect that includes mental sickness.

Scroll down for the solution to Depression that is not readily advertised by mainstream media

keep scrolling your almost there

When you feel depressed just look at the image below and count backwards from 10 to 1. Everything will be better.

typical ats/bts user

[edit on 30-7-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Aside from pH, a more significant factor affecting mood is blood sugar level.

Different foods and beverages affect blood sugar levels in dramatically different ways.

The "crash" people feel after consuming lots of simple carbohydrates such as refined sugars and starches is typically a blood sugar crash.

Dietary choices can be an immensely complex subject, and specifics differ from person to person. Having said that, if you are interested in reducing the magnitude of blood sugar swings, I recommend the following:

1) Reduce intake of simple sugars and starches.

2) Increase intake of proteins and complex carbohydrates.

3) Eat regular meals, avoid excessive snacking, and avoid skipping meals.

4) As always, eat a varied diet including plenty of leafy vegetables.

Your mileage will vary, but this works for me.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
When you feel depressed just look at the image below and count backwards from 10 to 1. Everything will be better.

It doesn't work for me.

Maybe it would work better if it wasn't my picture.

[edit on 7/30/2004 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Thanx for your input and advice.

Websurfer... umm i ain't a caffine addict, lol... i suppose i get some sorta buzz that usually results in a head ache... i am just really bad... i skip meals and eat junk... so from now on... water and subway! LOL!!

Thanx again

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The more water the better but Subway is fast-food in disguise.. best bet would be eating lots of raw fruit and raw vegetables (the dietary source of live enzymes)...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
LOL! Yeah u are prolly right! LOL!

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I know fast food and microwaveable foods are pretty bad for you in that sense. You receive a short burst of energy and happiness and then you fall to terrible low's.

Try eating plenty fruit and drinking alot of milk.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Majic has it. The real culprit in the 'energy' drinks is the caffeine. The reason caffeine gives you a boost is that it causes a sudden 'dump' of simple sugars into the blood while incresing metabolism. The problem is, once the body burns all those suddenly released sugars you go into a state of hypoglycemia while your body readjusts. This lowered blood sugar level often makes people feel depressed, tired and often quite grouchy.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
BTW, most energy drinks contains guarana, not caffein.

I don't know about food that makes you depressed (or if subway is "fast-food in disguise"???) but I know that some foods can help you cure depression. Especially fish and seafood, because marine lipids contains omega-3 acids, (acids that aren't produced by our body) and thoses acid can help with mood swings, depression and I think it also helps regenerating brains cells. (or something like that)

Besides, they're also good for the hearth and general health. Most people don't eat enough fishes or other seafood.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have been a coffee drinker all my life as expected coming from a Caribbean island and I will have to say coffee has kept me young
happy and skinny.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
My sister has rather serious anxiety and depression, and finds that when she drinks caffinated drinks she gets quite a bit worse, even with the meds shes taking, its really hard for her cause she loves her mochas , but there is definetly a connection between caffine and moods.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
SugarBusters....the healthiest way to eat!

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
As a continued sufferer of depression and anxiety, I will let you know my experiences.

Does caffeine screw with your moods? YES YES YES....if you are prone to it. People assimilate caffiene differently, we react different. Im caffiene sensitive. caffiene is like meth to my body, seeing how Im already nervous and edgy in a normal state. caffeien drives me over the edge, gives me the sweats, kinda dopes me up into a dizzy state, then I crash down, become tired, but unable to sleep. It all depends on the individual. Caffeine also gives me the sweats and skaes as it starts wearing off. I tend to avoid it, except in green tea, which for some reason, doesnt harsh me out like caffeine from coke, coffee, ect. Maybe its the chemicals in green tea that help balance the effects while giving me mild, pleasant energy with no crash.

Food too screws with your brain. One reason? All those friggin chemicals. Studies have shown that alot of food colrants and artifical flavors, most coming from coal tar, screw with the mind functions of children, and aggrivate existing conditions like ADD. All those preservatives and crap they put in can react a myriad of ways in the human body, many effects could occur.

Another thing to consider is most food is nutritionally deficent. Take a look at the nutrioon labels on most products: youll find they contain almost no vitamins and minerals, essential to not only body function, but the function of the mind. the value of B vitamins are essential to people suffering from mood disorders. B vitamins are key in the function, maintainance and health of your brain and nervous system. Most food, even like white bread, has some b vitmins, these are chemical copies and not easily assimilated by the body, and not in enough amounts to truly benefit you. Your best bet, if fresh produce and whole grains and seafood are not available, find a good, naturally derived b vitamin complex supplement to take. I have found they really do work, and have noticed the improvement.

Seafood and fish, as has been mentioned, are so full of so many nutrients and goodies that they cannot be forgotten. i prefer to eat more fish and seafood than any other meat, i was raised on it. I noticed it helps.

I am currently taking Zoloft for my depression and anxiety, and have found, along with the meds, really doing stuff in my diet and avoiding junk and crap food as much as possible really do have a great effect on handling my condition.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Has anyone mentioned that caffine also dehydrates you? It takes something like 20 glasses of water to rehydrate after one mug of coffee. Most people are dehydrated anyway, and the resulting lethargy can offen be interpretted as a symptom of depression.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
the best thing to drink? Water. best thing to eat who knows example: new research show that eggs are bad for you. 1 week later- New reasearch shows eggs are good for you! There is no perfect healthy food. Just whatever diet(not nessacerily losing weight) is perfect for what you are trying to accomplish. Me? Meat and Potatoes, fruits and veggies, and popcorn

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
When I'm feeling blue though, a Snickers bar makes me feel MUCH better, hehe.... Still, I try and keep it a rare treat, than an everyday thing....and I drink only water when at work (and Crystal Light or Tea at home)...

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
[edit on 16/8/2004 by jameo131i]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Depression foods

Cold pizza
warm beer
half-eaten cheesecake.

No seriously, I know what you mean.

heavy tomato dishes do this to me, and make me shaky. Have to watch the Chicago style pizza.

I'm also hypoglycemic, so I have to watch that too. I become filled with lassitude and ennui if I miss a meal and the last thing I had was high in sugar.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join