It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Be Distracted : The Real Problem = Historic Mississippi Flood/Intentional Levee Breach

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I'm just curious, has this thread been on the front page yet? I've been on daily throughout the last month and havn't seen it there as of yet...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

I have been wondering the same thing - I have not seen it there, which has honestly surprised me :/

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nekbet

It was there, fairly new into the thread, 2 or 3 days I believe.
edit on 14-5-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nekbet
Just thought I would check in.
Tension is high in the air.. but still so so so many people no matter the facts that are shown all seem to respond "We are staying put until / unless we actually see the water coming close to our homes"
I am saddened.. and angry by this, I have been working so hard for almost a week now talking to family members, people i know.. and even people I dont know, trying so hard to get them to understand the severity.
There are no more trucks left to rent around here to even try to help those that finally understand.
All storage shelters are full - I have of course let many know my doors are open, as according to the maps and my research .. my area / parish is in no danger of flooding.
I feel exhausted today, and out of ideas. Much luck to those that are in those areas.. I stay by my phone in case anyone changes their mind.. I just have a little car, but at least it can hold people, and I will go get them and make room.
My apologies for the rant so to speak - I know it is not helpful, but I guess in a way I'm putting this here in hopes maybe there are some new ideas on how to reach / help some of the stubborn ones out there.

I think people don't want to face the reality that it is going to happen, and are going to hold on as long as they possibly can in denial. It's a difficult thing to face, that whole life and livelihood will be gone. Changed forever. Bless you for opening your home to those in need...you most likely will be getting a call from someone.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
I'm just curious, has this thread been on the front page yet? I've been on daily throughout the last month and havn't seen it there as of yet...

I've been wondering about why this thread seems to not be able to stay on top. It's a pretty slow moving thread and i think it peaked on the front page for a little while but didn't hang on. Just goes to show how many people aren't aware or don't care. This is a thousand times bigger than katrina, but if there aren't people shooting at helicopters and killing and stealing from each other, then I guess it isn't news.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

It looks like all the money preparing FEMA, Homeland Security, ATF, etc, are doing for their earthquake drill is more important than the Flood that is a Reality. I don't understand why they can't put all the money that this drill is going to cost and put it toward what is happening. Where is FEMA, DHS, now. Those millions of meals etc. is needed now.

Does anyone know if there are shelters ? One thing about Lousiana, they stay ready, but without any help form the Federal Agencies, neither the State nor the people, will survive this. I hope these people that are loosing their homes and property for the Oil Companies sue the hell out of them. Of course it is not the first time our government has put oil before human lives. I am so angry, but the angry and pain these people are going through has got to be overwhelming.

They should all just go campout on the White House Lawn.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Live News Conference from Army Corps at Morganza spillway.... ON NOW....Opening 2hrs

www.wafb.com...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Does anyone know if there are shelters ?

No where near enough
news.yahoo.com...

About 25,000 people and 11,000 structures could be in harm's way when the Morganza spillway is unlocked for the first time since 1973

Sheriffs and National Guardsmen were warning people in a door-to-door sweep, and shelters were ready to accept up to 4,800 evacuees.

Not near enough warning, or shelter to those affected. What a mess

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Local News just Broke into News Conference and at one point this morning up to 25 Barges LOOSE on Mississippi River Bridge. Gained control of all but 4 , Two apparently hit the Old Mississippi River Bridge at Hwy 190!

THIS IS SERIOUS FOLKS!!!

If one even bumps a levee at this point. We are talking serious issues.

No links yet. Actually News station has reporters on phones calling in. This is that new of a story. Will try to find some kind of link for you guys

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormgodess

www.wafb.com...

This talks about the four, but they reported that there had been 25 loose. It will probably be mentioned as the story continues.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I was watching the live report and right at the end they said that all the barges have now been contained, but I am unable to find it in written form yet

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JackieO

Thanks so much, I was flicking through looking for more info, and must have missed it.

The fact that it was allowed to happen in the first place is NUTS!!!

How the HELL was 25 Barges on the swollen flooded Mississippi, with soaked Levees, allowed to break loose???

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Nekbet's post made me think, and if any of you know me by now.. I HATE unanswered questions. I took it upon myself to understand the psychology of a Natural Disaster victim and what follows may astound you as it did me.

Victims of natural disasters grieve. Not necessarily because they've lost someone, but because of the sudden change in circumstances. I've seen grief-like symptoms in posts on this thread by people who are unaffected directly by the flood, but suffer because of their empathic connection with the reality of human suffering.
Source

TV, radio, and newspaper coverage make us all feel like part of the disaster. Many experienced the events "first-hand" watching the live media coverage. Thus even more people became secondary victims of the event.

Perhaps this is the thinking behind the lack of media attention? Because it is SO devastating and has affected so many they want to shelter the rest of us?

Maybe the most disturbing thing is the emotional and psychological trauma involved:
Source

If you’ve gone through a traumatic experience, you may be struggling with upsetting emotions, frightening memories, or a sense of constant danger that you just can’t kick. Or you may feel numb, disconnected, and unable to trust other people.

Natural Disasters cause trauma because life and safety is at risk. It can overwhelm a person (or group of people) even if no one is hurt physically. It's all about how one interprets what happens. It's a very subjective experience. To quote the source above: "The more frightened and helpless you feel, the more likely you are to be traumatized."

Emotional and psychological trauma can be caused by single-blow, one-time events, such as a horrible accident, a natural disaster, or a violent attack. Trauma can also stem from ongoing, relentless stress, such as living in a crime-ridden neighborhood or struggling with cancer.

The ongoing intense stressful situation is definitely a dangerous enough issue on it's own, without factoring in the poor decisions, lack of information and glaring downplay of importance by not covering it with the media. This is attributing to, not lessening the effects of the flood itself on not only those affected by this, but also to those who demand giving this situation the attention that it deserves. It's evident that we are also angry because we are grieving for them, in a way.

A number of risk factors make people susceptible to emotional and psychological trauma. People are more likely to be traumatized by a stressful experience if they’re already under a heavy stress load or have recently suffered a series of losses.

I would say that most of these folks have suffered serious losses. If not by loved ones, then by the simple loss of the stability and sanctuary that we call home. I think the farmers are likely to have lost the most.

Emotional symptoms of trauma:
* Shock, denial, or disbelief, * Anger, irritability, mood swings, * Guilt, shame, self-blame, * Feeling sad or hopeless, * Confusion, difficulty concentrating, * Anxiety and fear, * Withdrawing from others, * Feeling disconnected or numb

Physical symptoms of trauma:
* Insomnia or nightmares, * Being startled easily, * Racing heartbeat, * Aches and pains, * Fatigue
* Difficulty concentrating, * Edginess and agitation, * Muscle tension

These symptoms and feelings typically last from a few days to a few months, gradually fading as you process the trauma. But even when you’re feeling better, you may be troubled from time to time by painful memories or emotions—especially in response to triggers such as an anniversary of the event or an image, sound, or situation that reminds you of the traumatic experience.

The stages of grief are: Shock or disbelief, anger, guilt, sadness, fear, and depression

For those surviving through this flood, please keep a watchful eye on family, friends and neighbors. Ongoing issues can lead to acts of desperation.

For the rest of us, I thought this would be a helpful and insightful addition to the thread so that we can understand our feelings

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
www.wafb.com...

Authorities said 25 barges dislodged in Baton Rouge north of the Huey P. Long Bridge (old bridge) Saturday afternoon.

Officials said two of the barges hit the bridge.

The bridge has been closed in both directions as a precaution.

Officials added all 25 barges have been contained and no longer pose a threat.

edit on 14-5-2011 by Stormgodess because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue

OBL...

that is why...

The Majority of people here at ATS disappointed me...

People who scream to the high heavens about, how awful the MSM is and how they feed the world BS...

When they jumped on their computer and did the same thing...

I have seen so many OBL threads and seen him on TV so many times...

That I actually get fighting mad and start cussing like a lunatic...

Right now I am mad as hell...
Just thinking of the name OBL

lol

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Glad they got them under control!!!

Wasnt it you Stormgoddess that had stated "if" that sort of thing happened it would be bad, earlier in the thread?
(If it wasnt... sorry my memory sucks!!!)

the reason this happened was this...

Incompetence...

That is why...

We have placed our lives in the hands of idiots...

The Second part of This Post From a few pages back relates... I do believe

So they are going to open the Morganza in around an hours time...

Prayers and Positive Vibes... Hope everyone is clear of the surging waters that will sweep in!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

That was a VERY good post...

Thank you for the hard work in providing that!

STAR!!!!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

unfortunately filthy lucre plays it part here, they are still putting money before anything else
same as the situation in Japan....
never mind the people...just worry about the money

By the way the opening of the spillway was on our main news here in the UK today for the first time, for a lot of people I know it was the first they were aware of the major flooding
edit on 14-5-2011 by JackieO because: nore to add

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Yes Eric that was me...

And at this point, I cant help but be honest and say... This whole situation smells!!!

I honestly am to the point of believing this incident was intentional! NOBODY COULD ACTUALLY BE THAT IGNORANT!!!

Think back to the post I made about the power struggle between Gov. Jindal and the Corps. The Corps has been stalling badly concerning the opening of the Morganza. To the point Jindal threatened to open it with, or without their permission.

And here today, on the day of the opening...After a week of stalling, and after the Levees surrounding Baton Rouge are nice and soggy....25 BARGES accidentally get away????

They couldn't do it in New Orleans a second time, not with the whole BARGE LEVEE incident during Katrina! I guess they figured at leas ONE out of 25, would get the job done!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by Under Water

It looks like all the money preparing FEMA, Homeland Security, ATF, etc, are doing for their earthquake drill is more important than the Flood that is a Reality. I don't understand why they can't put all the money that this drill is going to cost and put it toward what is happening. Where is FEMA, DHS, now. Those millions of meals etc. is needed now.

Does anyone know if there are shelters ? One thing about Lousiana, they stay ready, but without any help form the Federal Agencies, neither the State nor the people, will survive this. I hope these people that are loosing their homes and property for the Oil Companies sue the hell out of them. Of course it is not the first time our government has put oil before human lives. I am so angry, but the angry and pain these people are going through has got to be overwhelming.

They should all just go campout on the White House Lawn.

In my opinion the American Government wastes excessively...

Let me ramble for a second... I have a point following behind it lol...

...I love space... I love the stars... as a kid I watched Star Wars and Star Trek and anything else that had spaceships... as an adult it hasn't really changed... I spent HOURS gazing at the heavens... I would love to visit the stars... but that will not happen in my life time (Unless the Aliens drop in and offer Taxi Service...)
But I love space!!

Here is that point I mentioned earlier...

How much did NASA spend in 2010?

I cannot open .pdf files right now
NASA 2010 Budget

...even though I cannot see those files... I know exactly how much they are spending
TOO MUCH!

I love my satellite TV... My cellphone (which doesnt work at my house, btw)

I love my GPS... and those technologies that are all somehow space related...

but what about that missle they shot at the moon in 09... July I think

what was that about?

How did that help starving people?

How will a mission to Mars
help US citizens dislocated by this flood... and the levee breaches...

...If we can't help flood victims and provide proper aid and facilities...

why we wasting so much money on needless government programs?

...sorry NASA, but I think you should recheck your priorities...
quit spending thousands of dollars on a pen that writes in zero gravity...
use a pencil

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join