It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Be Distracted : The Real Problem = Historic Mississippi Flood/Intentional Levee Breach

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by celestialpink
reply to post by EvolEric

Do you have any photos or links to the KY sand boils? I'm in KY as well. If not - no problem. I'm just curious as to where they are/were.

Don’t quote me on it…
But It was farm land near Versailles?
Maybe, my memory sucks…

I saw the sand boils on LEX 18 news a few days back…

But I goggled and came up with this… from a another source

Sand Boils

doesnt look like the pics of the sand boils are on the Ky side...

but it sounds like they are appearing, in that area in Ky. too...

and when I watched the news, it definitely had sand boils on farm land...

hope that helps? but i cant find what i seen on the news, sorry

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Dr Greg Forbes just posted this on facebook-

"Massive river flooding is ongoing in AR, MO, IL, IN, OH, KY, TN, SD, ND, VT, NH; some at record levels. Last year Nashville TN had the record flood on May 1-2."

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
U.S. decision on levee blast expected at 5 p.m.

SIKESTON, Mo (Reuters) - Officials will announce in less than two hours whether they will go ahead with a plan to blow a hole in a Mississippi river levee to relieve flood pressure and save the town of Cairo, Illinois.

The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers said in a twitter message that Major General Michael Walsh would make the announcement at 5 p.m. local time on Monday.

Article

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Check out this thread that was just posted!!!
Flood in Live

It has links to a live stream?
I don't know, I cant watch video due to my dial up internet...

also in that thread there is a link to the Smithfield Levee breaking and flood warning for Paducah, Kentucky

Flood Warning For Puducah, Kentucky

and interesting tidbit ... Paducah, Kentucky is home to a Nuclear Reactor...
I am NOT saying that the Nuclear Reactor is in danger... I am just saying there is one located in that area...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
dam. the levee's are failing. its hard to tell if they completely are gone or not. if they are leaking they will have to blow the levee and soon.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Thank you for posting the 2 ATS thread links, and for this "spot" to discuss the tragedy that is about to unfold.

I live in sw PA, my husband grew up in a house that sat along the Youghiogheny River...so I am quite familiar with flooding, cleaning up, etc...but never did our family face what is about to happen...my prayers are with those along the Mississippi.

Last night, at 10:30p when the news came thayt Obama had an emergency speech, I honestly thought that something had happened to this levee/Mississippi flooding situation. In the aftermath of the tornadoes, this is just too big and affects too many Americans...and yet, the big news was bin Laden (a distraction to the media totally NOT reporting this?)

I will read the OP linked threads and school myself further; and say some more prayers tonight for those in the waters' path.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
i watched the news for a good 30 minutes just to hear the lies of osama. I didnt even know about the flooding...
Goodjob msm.. kill us all

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The Army Corps of Engineers said the sand boil, a strong spring of water gushing from the ground containing sand and rock possibly from the levee, is the largest they've ever seen, about 40 feet long and 30 feet wide, WPSD-TV, Paducah, Ky, reported.

Read more: www.upi.com...

www.facebook.com...#!/TeamEmerson?sk=wall&filter=1

Facebook page for local politician, giving updates.

According to reports, there has been a breach at the levee in fayeville. ill.

Checking around for more......

edit to add pic of levee breach. i BELIEVE this is at fayeville.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7cb3494d64f0.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 2-5-2011 by mutantgenius because: adding pic

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Will this flood affect indiana at all?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

link contains image of Wappapello Lake emergency spillway on the St. Francis River in Wayne County, Mo

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
EvolEric- A sand boil has nothing to do with Earthquakes. A sand boil is simply this: Water bubbling up through the earth(typically sandy soil) on the outside of the levee(side away from the river). Sand boils are a sign the the levee is weaking and a major concern that the levee is weak in that area. I worked the 93 flood in Illinois as part of the National Guard and later as a volunteer so I have experience in this. Usually when a sand boil is spotted, bulldozers are brought in to move more earth onto the levee to build up the weak point. A "breach" in the levee is not just an overtopping by water. A "breach" occurs when the levee begins to be washed out by the water. Once the earthen levee starts to go, get the heck away.I've seen breeches that have spread floodwaters 9-10 miles in a matter of a few hours and if you haven't already got out or moved your valuables, run like heck as floodwaters have no friends and can kill people within minutes.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This whole situation, is truly a nightmare come real. I have a question, that is probably going to sound ignorant and dumb. But I wonder why all this is going on now. And never before. Is there a possibility of some kind of deliberacy behind it? I heard the conspiracy stories of what was done in regards to the New Orleans Hurricane Katrina levees.
By the way, mutant, thanks much for that photo, but it is --horrifying!---
edit on 2-5-2011 by simone50m because: ad text

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
www.kfvs12.com...

LIVE NOW. Press conference from Corps.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's official. They're doing it within the next three hours.

BIRDS POINT, Mo (Reuters) - The government said on Monday it will go ahead with a controversial plan to blow up a levee on the Mississippi River to relieve flood pressure on other levees along the critical commercial navigation route and save the town of Cairo, Illinois.

The actual detonation of the protective embankment at Birds Point-New Madrid could come within the next three hours.

Article

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is the latest flood map from NOAA.

Ohio River.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eef997b0018d.jpeg[/atsimg]

www.erh.noaa.gov...

Mississippi river

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/165fef5503e8.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 2-5-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It is a go ahead with the blasting the levee.......

"Crest will fall between 3 to 4 feet down stream."

Maj. Gen Michael J. Walsh--

Project will be executed between 9pm and midnight-- part one

Early hours of tomorrow morning--phase two 1-3am

3rd phase 1pm tomorrow

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oh snap crackle and pop! So they are going to start at night, while people are heading to bed? Also, no info on the news here

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Did you guys catch this article?

Federal officials stressed that changing conditions could avert the destruction of the Birds Point levee and 130,000 acres of farmland. Crews began loading the explosives at 3:30 p.m., and the process will take about 20 hours - or until about 11:30 a.m. today.

Hundreds of experts were working around the clock monitoring the system and "all resources" are being used to battle the flooding, the corps' Maj. Gen. Michael Walsh said in a news release.

But record-high levels were testing the levee system like never before, creating a scenario the floodway was planned for, Walsh stated. "The Project Flood is upon us. This is the flood engineers envisioned following the 1927 flood."

Cairo sits along the Ohio River before it converges with the Mississippi. The residents were ordered to evacuate by Sunday morning as the river topped a 1937 record of 59.5 feet. The level is rising and is expected to crest at 60.5 feet by Tuesday.

The flood wall protects Cairo up to 64 feet, but the crest is not expected to drop until at least Thursday afternoon, and the corps fears the pressure could compromise the levees. Sand boils near the levy in Cairo are already dangerously large. Sand boils occur when water pushes under levees and bubbles up in the soil behind them.

Cairo Mayor Judson Childs said about 40 percent of the city residents decided to stay in their homes. Buses took evacuees to a shelter at Shawnee Community College in Ullin, Ill., the mayor said, and the local law enforcement and Illinois National Guard were protecting the property of those who left. Emergency sirens will warn those who remain of any immediate threat.

Cairo Mayor Judson Childs said about 40 percent of the city residents decided to stay in their homes. Buses took evacuees to a shelter at Shawnee Community College in Ullin, Ill., the mayor said, and the local law enforcement and Illinois National Guard were protecting the property of those who left. Emergency sirens will warn those who remain of any immediate threat.

Koster's failed plea to the Supreme Court came a day after a federal appeals court in St. Louis denied Koster's effort to block the corps from breaking the levee.

"I want to make sure we exhaust all potential legal remedies and ask every possible court to review the plan proposed by the Army Corps of Engineers," Koster said in a news release. "In light of the devastation faced by the citizens of Mississippi County - devastation that will persist in the area for years to come - it is the responsibility of this office to pursue every possible avenue of legal review."

Koster argues that flooding would leave a layer of silt on the farmland that could take as much as a generation to clear. The floodway - the third largest in the world - is 35 miles long and varies from 4 to 12 miles in width.

About 230 residents have been evacuated from the floodway in Mississippi and New Madrid counties, and as many as 800 have been asked to leave surrounding communities as a precaution.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon sent 730 members of the Missouri National Guard to the area. The citizen-soldiers set up command posts and checkpoints to help maintain safety.

www.stltoday.com...

edit on 2-5-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
WOAH....they have just announced the blowing of the levvee here:

MSNBC - Source

This article was updated 26 minutes ago....

Is this IT???

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

CAIRO, Ill. — As more rain fell Monday across southeast Missouri on Monday, water spilled over one dam, forcing road closures, while the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers gave the go-ahead to blow up a levee in another county. In Wayne County, water burst through the Wappapello Lake emergency spillway on the St. Francis River. Several roads were closed there and in other areas as lakes and streams were pushed out of their banks. In nearby Mississippi County, the Army Corps of Engineers decided Monday afternoon that it will blast a levee, flooding Missouri farmland rather than let a surge of water swamp an Illinois town downriver where most residents already have been forced to flee.

Source

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join