It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Be Distracted : The Real Problem = Historic Mississippi Flood/Intentional Levee Breach

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Why do they call it the "New Madrid" Operation? It's weird, because the king of SPAIN owns a lot of the nasco superhighway! Link.

Read the middle, top portion of that, pls.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize

Let me say this too, I keep seeing things like well thats what people get for building in a flood prone area and blah blah blah... we have to build somewhere right? Be it flood area, fault line, in the range of volcanoes, tornado alley, forrest fire prone areas, blizzard and avalanche or mudslide prone areas... come one... nowhere is safe! Just had to throw that out there!

Well... I'm in a pretty good spot as far as flooding, quakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, fires, avalanches, mudslides, and most other natural disasters. There is some significant snowfall a few times a decade but most blizzards hit me with a glancing blow. On the downside, there is high levels of air pollution, mercury in the water (amongst countless contaminates from mining operations,) and Thunderstorms are almost always very short (one of my favorite things is watching/listening to long, powerful storms.)

And, of course, when there is a disaster of some sort in my area everyone will be completely unprepared.

Many floodplains have very fertile ground and many have ample wildlife which caused people to settle there. Water, fish, meat, and good dirt for agriculture are reasons to stick around an area (or, were at the very least.) However, on the issue at hand (that's what people get...) I'm divided. That is what people get, and they did (typically) know the risks... but that's no reason to not feel bad for them, and it's quite despicable if you lower yourself to making fun of someone in a terrible situation. Compassion and empathy are significant parts of what differentiates humans from many other animals. It's sad to see just how many comments like that one can find on the internet, it means most of those people are emotionally lost and probably just concealing their own insecurities... I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Judge not, lest ye be judged... at least, don't be a prick about it.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

thank you...

I wouldn't get too worked up about it to be honest...
I do have family that I love very dearly in the New Madrid Fault area...

I havent called them yet... and probably won't
cause the jury is still out

I just want to inform people what is what...

If I did live in the NM area... I would be paying closer attention to things.
seismic websites, and just tell tale signs that an EQ might be happening...

But I wouldnt be scared

I am not making a prediction...

But I honestly think people need to pay attention...

Cos I saw on the news here kentucky, helicopter footage of sand boils...
actually about 20 sand boils in one area...

that were no where near western kentucky or any levee...

they said they were due to rain water... negatory on that

keep on your toes but try to keep a clear thinking outlook

edit on 5/3/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Originally posted by EvolEric

This is starting to freak me out. I live just over the cairo bridge on the Ky side... the maps all show my town gone! Its been raining again for two solid days and two more to come... 5 more inches possible. My husband is out of a job due to the flooding and there is no end in sight. We are over 400 ft above sea level in my town... is that gonna matter?

I do not want to promote "fear mongering"
only awareness!

First off...
I am sorry for your husbands luck with his job, due to the weather!
That sucks!!

secondly, try to be as calm as possible...
key your eye out, have some sort of plan
"just in case"

Remember being calm is important!
being scared and stressed, will hinder clear thinking...
and in any situation, clear thinking might mean a matter of safety!

I'm not sure on the elevation issue...
but keep your ears and eyes out for rising water and alerts!
Knowledge is power!

Get out of here dude.

This is classic fear lover's delight, served warm and hot on a plate.

Can't get over a double dip of "this is possible and scary, so we must prepare ourselves!!!!!!!!!"

Sensationalism is so rampant on this site that people who pledge not to do it would never know it if it hit them in the face.

Knowledge is NOT power as evidenced by the fact that any dummy who does not do anything with the knowledge he or she has is just as bad off as anyone else.

Let's face it that most people on this site are so chock full of a very long list of things that could potentially be the next "big thing" that they end up doing nothing!

Long ago, it was Bush and the supposed camps he was building. People swore we would never see the next president because he made the Patriot Act.

It's never-ending story of potential doom and gloom followed by an even longer list of reasons why it's so important.

I for one have to admit I have had enough of this never-ending negativity and explosive armageddon-ism. It's like people get off on this stuff while at the same time denouncing it, like a child that would rather negative attention than none at all.

Are some of you so desperate for excitement that you will do this to yourselves and spread it? I would not watch the local news as most of it is the same old bad news, and it seems I will have to put ATS in the same category. So many members here seem like mini little Alex Jones wannabes...all "doing their best to report the news" while not seeing the other dark side of this.

Consume yourselves with negativity and live your lives in fear........or turn off ATS.

Yawn.. I live in Pa, the only thing that could bother me is massive EQ that could either a) mess with the Susquehanna River or b) mess with the near by nuke plant.. Well then there is c) Illuminati NWO as they decided to make Pa their main campus....................................

But I could see why a lot of people in the effected regions are scared(and they are right to be because anything is possible), but as long as everyone keeps a level head ats can serve an invaluable function for them.
Because you can't really trust the government or MSM and some information is better then nothing.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

We are adults having a conversation.This is a conspiracy site last time I checked... I don't understand why you felt the need to come here and say that if you dislike ATS so much. Move on to another thread if this one bothers you. The flooding is real, the new madrid fault line is real... concerns are real... bad things happen all of the time, we all know that. Being prepared is smart and I am sure unlike what you stated that most people here are prepared in one way or another. Tomorrow is not promised anyone right? Be it natural disaster or something else... that is what these discussions are for.... just saying...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TonyBravada

I agree... the lack of compassion is what gets me. Anymore, who can say where some freaky weather event or other such thing might break loose....

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

NVM, the New Madrid, aspect. I see its a long established name for the fault line.

edit on 3-5-2011 by Clearskies because: sp

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Originally posted by EvolEric

This is starting to freak me out. I live just over the cairo bridge on the Ky side... the maps all show my town gone! Its been raining again for two solid days and two more to come... 5 more inches possible. My husband is out of a job due to the flooding and there is no end in sight. We are over 400 ft above sea level in my town... is that gonna matter?

I do not want to promote "fear mongering"
only awareness!

First off...
I am sorry for your husbands luck with his job, due to the weather!
That sucks!!

secondly, try to be as calm as possible...
key your eye out, have some sort of plan
"just in case"

Remember being calm is important!
being scared and stressed, will hinder clear thinking...
and in any situation, clear thinking might mean a matter of safety!

I'm not sure on the elevation issue...
but keep your ears and eyes out for rising water and alerts!
Knowledge is power!

Get out of here dude.

This is classic fear lover's delight, served warm and hot on a plate.

Can't get over a double dip of "this is possible and scary, so we must prepare ourselves!!!!!!!!!"

Sensationalism is so rampant on this site that people who pledge not to do it would never know it if it hit them in the face.

Knowledge is NOT power as evidenced by the fact that any dummy who does not do anything with the knowledge he or she has is just as bad off as anyone else.

Let's face it that most people on this site are so chock full of a very long list of things that could potentially be the next "big thing" that they end up doing nothing!

Long ago, it was Bush and the supposed camps he was building. People swore we would never see the next president because he made the Patriot Act.

It's never-ending story of potential doom and gloom followed by an even longer list of reasons why it's so important.

I for one have to admit I have had enough of this never-ending negativity and explosive armageddon-ism. It's like people get off on this stuff while at the same time denouncing it, like a child that would rather negative attention than none at all.

Are some of you so desperate for excitement that you will do this to yourselves and spread it? I would not watch the local news as most of it is the same old bad news, and it seems I will have to put ATS in the same category. So many members here seem like mini little Alex Jones wannabes...all "doing their best to report the news" while not seeing the other dark side of this.

Consume yourselves with negativity and live your lives in fear........or turn off ATS.

Then Why Are YOU here?

This thread is not negativity or fear, it is about information we are not getting elsewhere,

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

my .pdf viewer is on the fritz!

errr!!!

I downloaded it the file, with full intent to read it!
took me 10 minutes on dial-up internet...

but hey i seen where you said "never mind"

...still your thinking about things, thats cool

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Yep, that's what I like about this thread, Kudos to you by the way. No fear mongering here. Great discussion of events and reprecussions of this event.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Let me just say...

If the town of New Madrid is going to receive Bad x3 Damage from an EQ
and the further away you go, the scale decreases...

then my area would be Bad x1

So I got concern over the whole thing...

But I could have jumped and got a dozen stars and flags by starting a new thread,
and making some sort of half assed prediction...

but i didnt, I presented it as it is... information

Freedom12 has done an excellent job of being counter point to me...
I thank him for that...

Because i am not trying to scare anyone
if your scared, then you was scared before...
and I had nothing to do with it...

I do think the sand boils are something to look into...

Cos if we're expecting "the big one" anytime now...
and a few signs start to appear...

then in my opinion it is nothing more than ignorance to start whistling in the air...

Sand boils aren't the only sign...

there is other signs you need to watch out for...

Earthquake Phenonema:

Sand Boils:
The world’s largest sand boil was created by the New Madrid earthquake. It is 1.4 miles long and 136 acres in extent, located in the Bootheel of Missouri, about 8 miles west of Hayti, Missouri. Locals call it “The Beach.” Other, much smaller, sand boils are found throughout the area.

Seismic Tar Balls:
Small pellets up to golf ball sized tar balls are found in sand boils and fissures. They are petroleum that has been solidified, or “petroliferous nodules.”

Earthquake Lights:
Lights flashed from the ground, caused by quartz crystals being squeezed. The phenomena is called “seismoluminescence.”

Warm Water:
Water thrown up by an earthquake was lukewarm. It is speculated that the shaking caused the water to heat up and/or quartz light heated the water.

Earthquake Smog:
The skies turned dark during the earthquakes, so dark that lighted lamps didn’t help. The air smelled bad, and it was hard to breathe. It is speculated that it was smog containing dust particles caused by the eruption of warm water into cold air.

Loud Thunder:
Sounds of distant thunder and loud explosions accompanied the earthquakes.

Animal Warnings
People reported strange behavior by animals before the earthquakes. They were nervous and excited. Domestic animals became wild, and wild animals became tame. Snakes came out of the ground from hibernation. Flocks of ducks and geese landed near people.

The above information is from the Official website of the Town of New Madrid

So while sand boils are/can be EQ related
Note that Freedom12 has pointed out, not all are....

and even this website has information stating that arent always EQ related
Here ya go
I had gave that link in a post long ago...

So my point? Don't jump any guns yet... but keep your eyes and ears out...
Cos you never can tell...

edit on 5/3/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Have you heard if they plan to blow levees on down the River? I noticed all the Yellow on the map is gone now, except for where they blow it up last night. I just can't get over why they did this for the river to just go down 1 foot. Then blow it up again so the water can run back into the river. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

thanks!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Birds Point New Madrid Floodway Joint Information Center
Note:
When asked about the Bonnet Carre and Morganza spillways down river MG Walsh stated that, while no decisions have been made at this point, the likelihood of eventually opening the Bonnet Carre Spillway is 'High" and the likelihood of opening the Morganza Spillway is "Medium to High." He also noted that no decisions regarding those spillways will likely be made until next week at the earliest.

From the CoE Facebook page

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Latest news says third levee to be blown tomorrow and maybe two more down stream within the next week. Things have been changing though so don't hold me to that!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I have found this thread very informative. I appreciate all the work that you have put into it! It is nice to have a place to share thoughts and feelings without the fear of being ridiculed. Or almost.... LOL Keep up the good work and thanks for starting this thread! I was already scared and actually have been comforted here...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I totally agree with Greenie, You have done a great job on this thread and have been respectful to everyone on here. It is greatly appreciated.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie

I totally agree with Greenie, You have done a great job on this thread and have been respectful to everyone on here. It is greatly appreciated.

I have found this thread very informative. I appreciate all the work that you have put into it! It is nice to have a place to share thoughts and feelings without the fear of being ridiculed. Or almost.... LOL Keep up the good work and thanks for starting this thread! I was already scared and actually have been comforted here...

Thank you, and your welcome!
I'm glad you have found some comfort here

I try to treat others in the same fashion, that I like to be treated

I was waiting for that breaking news the other night... (Which i didnt even know was happening, until coolottie told me about it,
)

and when the presidents speech finally happened and I saw what it was really about and then ATS and MSM exploded with a bunch of nonsense... thought to myself, wow...

and it occurred to me that this flood and that levee breach was gonna be "brushed under the rug"
I did not want that to happen! That is one of the main reasons I started visiting ATS, for important issues that MSM and the world in general either don't care about or just don't have a clue about...

So seeing OBL all over ATS was heart breaking... the government set the bait, the people of the World/America took it and ran!!

I also have tried to keep my theories in check, cos I know what I am saying is being watched by a lot of people...
but still I am a crazy Hillbilly who thinks the government is actually out to get us and that HAARP is real... and any day now the world could go into cardiac arrest and the apocalypse will begin, lol...

If anyone gets ridiculed on here for posting their conspiracy theories... then thats just stupid, cos this IS a conspiracy site!
If it wasnt, I would not be on it!

I am on Dial-up Internet... I am running at 24,000 kps don't let that big number fool you... haha
cos 1mb DSL speed would read out as 1,000,000kps lol

So its very time consuming and a test of patience, when it comes to loading things up...

But hey, I do it cos I care... Because the people who is effected by this, needs a voice

But the credit isnt mine alone... yourself and so many others have been so awesome!
I said it earlier in this thread...

this is ATS at its finest... 99% of the time in this thread people have worked together and we have got results...
there is no other source available at this moment that has information like this thread does...

That is because of all the people who contributed,

I salute you all!

I will stay here and do everything I can to keep this "boat a floating"

-Evol Eric

edit on 5/4/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

So...if there were fear mongering, I suppose I would be afraid right now, right? Nope. I just came here to learn more and help to spread the word. And This thread has served that purpose. Very well! So Thank You!

I highly doubt the previous poster who was going off on ATS has any real clue as to what is happening in this area. I'm pretty practical. I have a scientific mind. I'm no conspiracy theorist. And I have no clue what HAARP really does...etc. I came here for intellectual discussion, with an open mind...and that's what we have here.

As far as the sand boils, don't get too concerned. I'm not familiar with them on levees. But I am familiar with them in the middle of our farm. We call them "Sand Blows". And while they are usually associated with EQ's, they crop up pretty frequently in the farm land here. I used to play in them as a little kid. They were fascinating. A miniature fire hydrant in a field. We were never concerned about them. They pop up a lot in areas like I live in in the middle of fields. And there was never an EQ in conjunction with the ones I saw. We always thought they were related to the ground water being so high. You don't have to drill over 7 feet here to hit water. These were small. I'm sure the larger ones you can see from google earth that came from large quakes...I wouldn't have been allowed to play in.

But they aren't always an indicator of EQ activity. And nothing too concerning. Just something that happens around here. That can turn ugly when the ground gets unstable.

The one's in Cairo...those look like some bad stuff. But I didn't get to play on levees as a kid...so I'm clueless on those.

Thanks for this thread! I've absorbed and learned a lot!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I've found comfort here too! And I'm glad to see you are ok over there!

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join