It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Be Distracted : The Real Problem = Historic Mississippi Flood/Intentional Levee Breach

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Yes Evol, there has been people who have talked about this affecting NMFL. Including the HAARP nonsense last nite. I'm not gonna argue as this has been a mostly civil thread. But understand, these explosives are almost on the surface and will not affect the NMFL.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

No one has talked about that fault going off since last night...
why did you bring it up?

The HAARP nonsense... I was one of them... HAARP did spike the charts at same time as the explosion... interesting you must admit...

That explosion was scary, and totally overkill... they did not need that much explosive fire power...
trust me...

But I agree... since the NMFL has not "went off" I would imagine it is safe for now...

Yes, this has been a very civil thread... its not about who is right, or who is wrong,
it is about those effected... it is about leaving a mark on this world.. a mark that MSM has failed to produce!

The current problem isnt earthquakes...

but historic flooding, lets all work together on this... so we can all be updated on this!

edit on 5/3/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that the 2nd blast had taken place. I am up in Cape Girardeau working right now, and of course didn't feel it here. I talked to my Mom who lives across a 120 acre field from me, and she was outside, and she neither heard nor felt the second blast. And we both felt the first blast last night. She had a clock shaken off the wall.

I don't think we are fear mongering. The fact is the Corp gave us NO indication that there would a shock wave from the explosion. They did communicate with those of us in the area, but said NOTHING to prepare us for shock waves. I would have been ok if I had expected the shaking and roaring. I honestly don't think they realized how the blast was going to reverberate through our soils, nor did they realize the strength of the explosion. Overkill? More than likely.

My feelings on earthquake possibilities are varied.
One: They say that it's a surface blast. But consider the water table being totally saturated. All the way down to the fault line. Water is an Excellent conductor of energy, right? So they can't tell me that the blast energy was not felt at the fault depth.
My issue, is that they obviously released more energy than they expected. The CoE has been transparent during this process. And they never once mentioned that it would be a "felt" event. Which is concerning. OR they haven't been as transparent as they appeared, and that it why they decided to wait until the cover of darkness to implement the first blasts. Who knows. Not cool either way.

Two: Many geologists speculate that the actual fault lies directly under the Miss River at the area of Cairo to NewMadrid. If that is so, blasting the levee actually spread out the weight of the water over a larger area. That is a theory that has been thrown out by what seems to be a knowledgeable individual posting on the Corp facebook page. It sounds nice, but I don't know that I buy it.

Who knows? They detonated two blasts and the earth is still holding together, so I'm ok. Bless all of my friends who are having to look at their now flooded homes on the news. It is truly sickening.

As far as agriculture in the area: I'm an agronomist, well I was...now I'm a surgical device rep. But I still work on the family farm and keep in touch with the ag industry. Pioneer is accepting corn seed back in exchange for soybean or cotton seed. The Bootheel of Missouri grows higher yields of corn per acre than any other area. It's not uncommon for my father to AVERAGE over 230 bushels per acre here (and we usually grow 2000 acres of corn). Our corn acreage will now be planted in soybeans and cotton. And this is the trend in this area. But let's not deceive ourselves that this will effect the price of corn flakes. Doesn't work like that. You have to take in the surplus of commodities.

Ok, back to work. I'm hoping our friend on the KY side is ok today!

edit on 3-5-2011 by lowgo because: Too much RedBull=can't spell

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lowgo

Thanks for that informative post!

so your father grows around 460000 bushels of corn!
Thats impressive!
I grow 60% of my own vegetable's here
and I give away to neighbors and family more than we use...
The only vegatables we have to buy are the fancier ones, lol
asparagus... etc so forth
So my hats off to him!

Being a farmer is indeed hard hard hard work!
Even if your father has machinery thats makes the job easier...
460000 bushels tended over 2000 acre's
That will keep ya busy... even with hired hands!
So congratulate him for me for being apart of the hands that tends the earth!
I have 100% admiration and respect for farmers!

I feel so sorry for everyone this "event" has effected...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Good math skills

Yes, corn has been good to us, and we rotate with another 1500 acres of cotton and about 300 acres of soybeans. He works HARD. We have 12 row equipment, and he only has 3 full time farm managers (as we call them, b/c they feel like it is their farm too, and we are all practically family). Its hard work, and many days, I get home from work and climb into a tractor as well. Everyone seems to think that the farmer's behind the levee will be well compensated. Those were multi-million dollar operations. But it's NOT liquid money. Everything is tied up in the next year's crop. My dad is 67 and has farmed his ENTIRE life, and still can't retire, b/c when he liquidates, the government will take more than half, and he won't have enough to live on. Many of the mass public think farmers have money, but in reality, the ones who appear to be wealthy are simply living beyond their means. One generations earns it, one generation lives on it, and one generation loses it.
The guys behind the levee...I don't know what they are going to do. I really don't. Sure, they knew it was a possibility this would happen. But it's been stable since 1937. My heart simply weeps. I'll know more detail on the agriculture side tonight, after I talk to my father.

Good for you growing your own sustenance! That is awesome! I would imagine your friends and family appreciate it too! I try every year to grow a crop of tomatoes, and fail miserably!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This made made the top of the list at google...

when you use the keywords
"Historic Mississippi Flood

Also another website has linked to this thread
theendtimesarehe re

They are giving full credit to ATS and myself... so no harm? no foul?
(they are also saying I wrote 11 posts on their site... which I haven't... oh its threads I started on here...but credit goes back to ATS...)

But I'm Glad to see that this issue is being spread!
Great work everyone!!!

Also here is another news article related to all this...
posted about 7 minutes ago... you can check out the
Link Here

Although the information presented in that article can be found here

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by JAGx1981

I spent Hurricane Camile in Wiggins, I know it will not be that bad there for sure. Did you have any tornados that far South?

Nah we didn't have any tornado thank God. We usually only get small category ones when we actually do have them but with all these weird weather activities I suppose anything is possible nowadays.

My mother rode out Camlie in Gulfport, its funny you bring that up we were just talking about that exact topic yesterday.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lowgo

there used to be tobacco farms here...
It was quite epic the amount of work done!

You father and so many others got the shaft on this!
and yet... there is nothing anyone can do!
Spread awareness is the best aid can present!

they (your family and other there) may have known this was a possibility...
but just like Japan... they may have known there was risk of an EQ...
but what can you do, if your born there, you don't have resources to move...
and most importantly... that hunk of dirt is your own... your fathers have put their blood, sweat and tears into that dirt,
your blood, sweat and tears have went into it... it becomes more than land...
it becomes a home and it becomes symbolic to you and your family...

You all may have know there was a chance of this happening...
but that will never make it right!

The government needs to "man-up" and help everyone out...

Cos if i am not mistaken.... a lot of people fought this and tried their damnest to stop their livelihood from being flooded!!

its cool you call them Farm Managers...

Tomato's we grew over 100 plants last year!
I love them!!! nothing better than a salt shaker and a fresh garden tomato!!
I hate "store bought" tomatoes!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

There is something that just does not make any sense to me. Eric, Why in the Hell would they destroy thousands of acres of the best farm land in the country just to get the river down, 1' 6". And then they are going to blow out 2 places so the water can run back into the river. That does not make any sense at all to me. I could understand if it was going to bring the water down 5-10 ft. I bet that really makes some people upset, I am mad as hell about it. In a few days that 1' 6" would have gone down anyway.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The water soaked ground here is so bad that water is literally pushing up though any crack it can in my basement. You can hear it bubbling up and when you step near a crack you can see the light reflection change on the water. To me this means my weight (and I am a fairly small guy) is moving the concrete on top of the water.

I live high enough that I am okay I just will not be able to go anyplace. The super great news (100% sarcasm) is that we get a day off from the rain and then will be expecting more come Wed. or Thurs. In the past two weeks and a half weeks I do not think we have had more than one full day without rain. However, as a co-worker said come Aug. we will be wishing it would rain.

There are many who have lost their homes due to flooding already. I am surprised our area made national news. They are only reporting a small bit of information. As it stands numerous roads are closed due to flooding, miles of farm land are already unusable, and thousands of homes are flooded and empty. People are out of work due to the flooding, people are in need of money, food, shelter, and clean water all along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. While it is nice to see the levee getting attention and all it is small potatoes to what is already taking place. The is literally water in all directions and we are getting more.

Again at this point I am one of the blessed ones by still having a home (though it is flooding from below) and right now I am still able to get to work also. If it keeps up though the place I work will be under water and I will be trapped on top of a hill.

Raist

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If your new...

don't forget to check out the National Flood Outlook Map

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Update: 3:35 pm
I just met 8 rescue vehicles w/ boats in tow. Sirens on. Going about 80 mph at the junction of I-55 & US60 at Sikeston MO. They stayed on highway 60 going I the direction of Charleston/East Prarie. Which is thee area of the initial blast last night. Looks like a pretty serious water rescue.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Great question!!

Why destroy the livelihood's of people and destroy such significant acreage of valuable farm land...

Pray that is was ignorance and ignorance alone...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

glad your home is safe!
thanks for sharing!
hope your basement dries out!!

and i hope your job will be spared...

but yeah there is so much sorrow in those areas it is a epic disaster!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lowgo

Thanks for sharing!!

I wonder if its connected to the levee blowing!?

Prayers are needed for those being rescued!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

For me the biggest problems are having to drive an extended route to work which cost me more fuel and time, and the "basement water".

The "basement water" is just disgusting. It stinks, and it is seemingly everywhere. Thankfully my basement is unfinished so there is no real amount of damage other than some things getting wet with stinking water. Everything around here is so wet that if we had any tremors we would not fall apart so much as we would just sink.

I squeegee water into my basement drain daily and got the joy of fixing my washing machine in the stinking water this past weekend. I fully understand that my problems are less than what many are going through and I feel terrible that others are suffering. I am not trying to use this as a complaining session (for any who think I am) so much as I am explaining what the least affected are going through. As I understand it many around here have water coming up through any crack it can in their basements.

If I am in the lucky few imagine what the most affected are going through. I have not met a person yet that is not being affected in some way by the amount of water in our area.

Raist

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lowgo

As of 7:00 this morning they have not called out all NG yet. A guy I work with is in the NG and he says they have only called out the engineers at this point. He has been expecting a call but still had not received one at that point.

Of course that could have changed by now and when I go in tonight he might have been called out during the day. I do not expect him to be called out now though unless things take a drastic change for the worse.

The sad thing is they waited as long as they did to make a decision on what to do. They did not want to flood Cairo or the farm land and wanted to make a choice between the two if they could. Then they evacuated Cairo last Friday and still waited before blowing the levee to flood farm land. Now it seems as if both will be a loss.

At this point our flood walls are doing their jobs quite well. Of course we are on the upper end of the flooding maps but only just by mere miles. They were worried the water might backwash when the levees were blown and told those on the top side to be ready to evacuate if needed and that they might get a half hour warning if they were lucky.
All I now is something has to give soon. There are several towns around that have been evacuated due to rising waters, and many who have no real ways in or out of town except by boat. Those who live in the valleys here are hurting bad, those of us who live on the hills are stuck for the most part or at very least limited in our travel.

Raist

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I am glad you have shared with us!

You don't have to be flooded out to be suffering from this...

Saturation can cause severe problems on the foundation and over all construction of your home,
causing long term problems. So yes, your blight fits in into this!

I've noticed around my place the damages from all the rain...

There is a creek that has been eroding away the creek banks... sections of our property/yard is at risk...

We attempted to reinforce our creek banks, so our property stays intact...
I was just outside and watched hours of our work wash away... kinda disheartening... and I dont even live in the flood areas! Every thing here is super saturated!
a lot of the "land" here is nothing but "slosh"
what was once solid and hard... gives away when you step...
If it doesnt stop here, get got a few buildings that may possibly be at risk to go flying over the hill!
I could only imagine whats it is like where you are and the others effected by this!

What a horrible thought... sinking into the ground... we got another building here that has sunk about an inch into the ground, due to all the water...

So i feel your blight... i'm just lucky enough to have my home dry...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This is a map of the United States that shows significant flooding through May 8,2011.

www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

We are in this area and people are loosing everything. I put the HAARP stuff up, because I look at every angle of a situtation, For them to be doing this in the middle of the night and nothing on National News or in the paper. I really don't care what you think of my posts and if you read them all you will see that was just mentioned by me and nothing I was pointing toward just thought it odd because it is exactly the same as on March 11. This is a Conspiracy Forum. And what the CoE are doing looks like somekind of conspiracy. Go to one of the HAARP threads and raise hell at them. Fear Mongering, for us it is something to be afraid about.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join