It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Be Distracted : The Real Problem = Historic Mississippi Flood/Intentional Levee Breach

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Army Corps breaks southeast Missouri levee

Engineers believe sacrificing the levee could reduce the water levels at Cairo by about 4 feet in less than two days. Meteorologist Beverly Poole of the National Weather Service put the figure closer to five feet.

"These are uncharted territories, but it would be very fast," she said.

Carlin Bennett, the presiding Mississippi County commissioner, said he was told a 10- to 15-foot wall of water would come pouring through the breach. The demolition was expected to cover about 11,000 feet of the levee.

"Tell me what that's going to do to this area?" he said. "It's a mini-tsunami."

Maj. Gen. Michael Walsh—the man ultimately responsible for the decision to go through with the plan_ has indicated that he may not stop there if blasting open the levee doesn't do the trick. In recent days, Walsh has said he might also make use of other downstream "floodways"—basins surrounded by levees that can intentionally be blown open to divert floodwaters.

Among those that could be tapped are the 58-year-old Morganza floodway near Morgan City, La., and the Bonnet Carre floodway about 30 miles north of New Orleans. The Morganza has been pressed into service just once, in 1973. The Bonnet Carre, which was christened in 1932 has been opened up nine times since 1937, the most recent in 2008.

www.breitbart.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

Pulling all the tricks out of the bag it seems...

thanks for that update!!!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

wow how horrible for you, Im so sorry that you are going thru this, you know I live in Chicago and the news are not saying anything about this, I had no idea that this is going on, thats why I love this site!!, star and flag and I will be paying close attention to this, my Prayers are with you and everyone affected by this.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Someone earlier posted "the good of the many. . . " I'm just thinking. . .

How many people could have been fed by the saturated farmland vs how many in Cairo?

An impossible decision to make. I'm glad it wasn't me that had to make it.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Radiation found in the Mississippi river...

check that out...
wonder if it was a under ground nuke?

they are saying it came from a power plant...

edit on 5/2/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

link   
Question, could blowing the levees with that much force, cause a weak levee to just crumble?

Im praying for the entire are!

link   
Found a video of this from youtube

Looks like a pretty big explosion, plus more on the way

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I have question regaurding this im from the southeast Missouri area (Poplar Bluff)but im in afghanistan right now,How is this going to affect the Black river,St Francis Current RIver, and Wappapello Dam levels there already considered Moderate flooding and Poplar Bluffs south side is pretty much wiped out worse than it was in 2008,Is the diverting of water going to increase the levels of looding in these already Swamped areas, Also that whole area used to be marshland Just curious
edit on 2-5-2011 by Kinley241 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It truly had to be a hard decision, but I am not so sure this was the right decision when you weigh it all out. Please don't get me wrong, I have family in Cairo, but it had its glory day years ago and is a crumbling decaying small town... I mean no disrespect, but this is scary to me. That explosion was unreal!
Things will never be the same in my lifetime I fear!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
this is an article from one of our local newspapers here......is it coincidence or are they trying to soften the blow?

Rising river could bring some water to western Terrebonne

Published: Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 5:20 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 5:20 p.m.

HOUMA — Western Terrebonne communities may see minor flooding next month as a surge of water from heavy rains in the Mississippi River Valley works its way down river. The Governor's office issued flood warnings and declared a state of emergency Thursday in preparation for the coming spring floods.

www.houmatoday.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
ETA...video already posted above...

so added some news...very sad.

With a flash of light and a massive rumbling that shook windows miles away, the Army Corps of Engineers set off explosives at 10 p.m. along the first of several sections of the earthen barrier, sending 550,000 cubic feet of water a second across the 130,000 acres of farmland known as the spillway. There were 90 homes in the spillway, but under the cover of darkness it was impossible to gauge the initial devastation. “This doesn’t end this historic flood,” said Maj. Gen. Michael J. Walsh, who commands the Mississippi Valley Division of the corps, explaining that the river may rise again in a few days. “This is not the end, this is just the beginning.”

Col. Vernie L. Reichling Jr., commander of the corps’ Memphis District, said the blast was successful, calling it “historic as well as tragic.”
www.nytimes.com...

Whoa, video here:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 2-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kinley241

I wish to God I could give you that answer, I too have come on late night because I just cant sleep over worry about this. Hopefully someone with better detective skills will come on to talk about and show maps or something. I suppose we will know more by morning light. Its springtime here in Mo and I also worry about the newborn wildlife that are in peril.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I'm a Saluki, about 100 years ago, so I'm familiar with the area. It's a bd situation either way you go.

Prayers are with all.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have a question.
Why did they do this at night?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
I have a question.

possibly the same reason this flood isnt being reported on MSM...

to cover something up... Cos they had all day today to do this...

The explosives were loaded yesterday... beats me... the logic behind doing this at night...

Shady dealings I suspect

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
I have a question.

I second that question!

Do tell us, WHY at night?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

www.newscientist.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.newscientist.com...

I found this link while reading earlier. According to this article, with certain topography (karst), an earthquake can be caused by heavy rain/flooding in areas. I am in no way an expert just trying to connect everything I am learning.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Well I had no idea that there was even flooding let alone this. Although I will admit I don't watch or visit MSM sites anymore only local news here in Denver. I did check out my favorite local news site here and there was no mention of flooding let alone a levee breach. I have family in east central Ill, wonder what this will amount to?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I like to think they did it at night for the protection of the rubber neckers and gawkers! I have thought about it, and we all know people are curious and would have been trying to "go see" and getting in the way... that is what I "like" to think, but I really don't know!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

This is really giving me a bad feeling, I thought last night that it was the flood the President was going to talk about. Like everyone else on here, we wouldn't know anything about this if it wasn't for ATS. But what is the reason it is not on MSM??? Something is just not right about this. bin Laden or no bin Laden, it should still be on National News. I keep checking the Earthquake map.

Does anyone know where to go to check HAARP? See what they were doing around 10 pm tonight?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join