It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some advice for Canadians: Don't vote for another 'Harper Government'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I would have liked to make this an in depth thread but my life won't allow for such time right now so I must be brief. If you wish to do your fellow Canadians and world citizens a favour, don't vote for the Conservative party. I'm not making the generalization that this party is a bad choice in all circumstances, however, under the leadership of Stephen Harper Canada is loosing its integrity. There are plus sides and down sides to conservative policies, but on the whole Harper has shown that he cannot be trusted and that he is incrementally destroying Canadian sovereignty through his continuation of the 'harmonization' (of the North American community) initiative started by his predecessor. Of course, this is just one of the many wrongs the 'Harper Government' has committed and I could go on for longer than I have time for.

The party holding the most promise in my opinion, is the Green party. Contrary to what some may believe, the Green party does not concern itself exclusively with environmental issues (although these are some of the most important issues). Here are some other reasons to vote for the Green Party:

The renegotiation of NAFTA's Chapter 11

14 April 2009 - 10:12am OTTAWA--The Green Party of Canada has consistently called for renegotiation of Chapter 11 of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), saying that this part of the agreement is detrimental to Canadian interests and exists solely for corporate profits. The latest threat is to increasingly popular cosmetic pesticide bans, now enacted in Quebec and Ontario, which the chemical companies say are cutting into their profits. Chemical giant Dow AgroSciences is now filing under NAFTA for loss of profit of $2 million due to Canadian pesticide bans. “Laws put in place to protect the health and safety of Canadians are at risk whenever a corporation based in the US loses profits. Chapter 11 of NAFTA operates to give US and Mexican corporations the right to sue the Canadian government for any decision impacting its profits, regardless of the scientific evidence supporting our decision. The investor-state provisions of NAFTA are profoundly anti-democratic," says Green Leader Elizabeth May. “It is very evident that this flawed trade agreement must be renegotiated.” Problems with Chapter 11 of NAFTA have been apparent for more than a decade. The Canadian law restricting the use of MMT, a neuro-toxic gas additive made by Ethyl Corp. of Richmond, Virginia, was repealed in an out of court settlement by Canada in a NAFTA suit in which Canada also paid out $13-million to Ethyl Corp. Canada also was forced in a Chapter 11 suit to pay millions to Ohio-based S.D. Myers for a short term ban on the export of PCB contaminated waste. Mexico has also lost suits brought by large US polluters.

Its rational approach to involvement in Afghanistan

The Green Party is the only party who recognizes that the NATO mission is ill-conceived and doomed to failure. We are the only party to advocate remaining in Afghanistan by asking for a UN peace-keeping mission to avoid a humanitarian crisis. We are the only party that recognizes the need for poppy production to sustain the agriculture economy in Afghanistan. We favour legalizing and regulating poppy production to supply pain relieving drugs to developing countries.

A supported budget deficit reduction plan

The Green Party is the only opposition party to have tabled our deficit cutting plan with the Parliamentary Budget Office, to ensure we did our homework and our numbers will hold.

The potential for a proportional representation system

Power is increasingly centralized. Individual MPs – your voices in Parliament – are becoming more and more irrelevant. Question Period is a daily showcase for behaviour we would not tolerate from our children. It’s time to restore true democracy and put the power where it belongs – in the hands of Canadians.
> Reform our voting system. Hold a national discussion on the health of our democracy, address the growing and undemocratic power of the Prime Minister’s Office and explore the options for a more meaningful electoral system. Consider the risks of “first past the post” and vote on whether it should be replaced. Consider proportional representation.
> Access to information. Seek true solutions to the increasing corporate control in Canadian journalism. Whatever is “dumbed down” must be “smartened up.”
> Ensure that citizenship is equal. Social justice and equity are cornerstones of democracy. Canadian democracy is more secure when human rights are respected – starting with the First Nations and indigenous peoples of this continent, Turtle Island. Canada must move forward in implementing the spirit of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

Once again, I could go on but unfortunately I haven't the time. The Green party is a viable (and prime) alternative to a Harper Government and would be a better conduit of your voting power.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Yes we goto polls tomorrow..

Im hoping for a Liberal change... and most will vote ABC.. Anything but Conservative.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

We need watch-dogs and whistle-blowers in government,
vote in the minority , vote in the underdogs !

no more secrecy and control, things should be by the people
for the people.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Sure was good for Harper to get a national news conference just before the election. With the big..... see we made the right decision to go in speech. Or the its a good thing we have a terrorism thwarting Conservative government keeping all of our freedoms intact spin. I feel like O B L was no friend of the USA but they milked his boogyman status dry until it became time to use him for the 3rd and last time.

Birth cert Marriage Death. quite a 6 day cycle

GO GREEN I talked with Elizabeth and George in Cal they got my Vote!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Go Quebecoise!
separate!

from the U$

edit on 2-5-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Upon further reflection the NAU would have a real interest in a Harper majority. Remember the "Yo Harper" Bush let go like he was a frat buddy. So I hope this Isn't some damage control stunt to try and keep Layton out of the picture. The North American Union will lift off if the US dollar tanks like some predict might happen on may 2. www.youtube.com...

Just planting seeds I'm a gardener you know.

top topics

join